Recalled Batteries: How are they doing?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air, MacBook & MacBook Pro' started by johnj2803, Jan 28, 2008.

1. johnj2803

johnj2803 Active Member

I just came across this thread in apple support discussions about the problems arising from the 12" powerbook recalled batteries and how they are not performing at par with the old ones that were recalled. I was currently looking to replace my battery again that's why I got to that thread. And so i noticed the dramatic fall in my powerbook's battery life too. i have 80 cycles and still going. mine lasts only 45 mins now. and i have been very diligent about battery care and calibration too.

So how is yours doing?

2. scuba_holic

scuba_holic Member

Makati - Calamba and everywhere inbetween
    Hey, thanks for starting this thread.

I thought I was the only one experiencing problems with my battery. But after reading your link it makes me wonder if there was another "bad" batch of batteries after the recall. I also have a 12" Powerbook and got my replacement last August 2k6.

I hope Apple looks into this concern. Based on iStat I'm down to 37% battery health and can barely hold 45 minutes of charge time.

Is there anyone else here experiencing abnormal "recalled" battery life?

3. scuba_holic

scuba_holic Member

Does anyone have any feedback yet regarding this issue?

4. kartman

kartman Member

when i had a 12" powerbook, i replaced the battery 3 times. good thing they were all either covered by warranty or the battery recalls.

5. johnj2803

johnj2803 Active Member

just to update... i don't think the apple forums (as linked above) isn't getting anything from apple. Decided to buy a new battery from a third party power reseller at ebay. I have 1 year warranty and that is really for my peace of mind :D I am not getting an intel mac soon :D (but if they release a 13" aluminum i might change my mind :D the MBA is just not for me)

still testing it tho... but so far so good! :D and at least I have warranty to claim if ever (oops i think i said that already :D)

6. scuba_holic

scuba_holic Member

Sigh, It looks like I'm going to have to get a new battery for my powerbook. Does anyone know what the going rate is now?

7. Mad Mac

Mad Mac Active Member

My brother and I availed of the battery recall a while back. My battery is still quite good at 3240mah on my iBook G4 1.2ghz. My brother's battery is not doing so well on his Powerbook G4 1.5ghz with just 1168mah. These batteries are the same age.

8. doughn

doughn Active Member

mine is still good. bought the ibookG4 1.2ghz 2004 december and recalled jan 2005, i happen to have both batteries but only using the newer replacement battery from apple in singapore.

9. kartman

kartman Member

apple batteries @ 8500, nupower @ 7500. both at ynzal.

10. Mad Mac

Mad Mac Active Member

If these li-ion batteries are like lithium polymer batteries, then keeping them charged 100% all the time reduces its life. Such batteries need to be cycled or kept at 40-50% capacity when not using for a long time.

This can explain my brother's and my experience with are batteries. Received roughly at the same time, my brother's Powerbook is plugged all the time. My iBook on the other hand always sees mobile action so battery is drained frequently.

On our rc helicopters, li-poly batteries get destroyed when stored to 100% capacity in just 3 months. I store my unused packs at 50% charge.

11. triggerbokie

triggerbokie Member

here the details for my ibook battery:

Battery Information:

Battery Installed: Yes
    First low level warning: No
    Full Charge Capacity (mAh): 4095
    Remaining Capacity (mAh): 3966
    Amperage (mA): 379
    Voltage (mV): 12549
    Cycle Count: 143

so far it can last being mobile around 2.5 hours doing multimedia work. although my original battery that was recalled seems to be working longer. but then i was using panther, and w/o dashboard... :)

12. Mad Mac

Mad Mac Active Member

After doing some reading, it seems that li-ion packs are best kept partially or fully charged. This is unlike li-poly packs that are best stored 40-50%. My speculation earlier was wrong. I guess, some replacement Powerbook batts have gone bad on their own.

Quick survey, those with bad replacement batteries, what are your usage habits like? How many cycles have your packs had before they ere replaced?

13. scuba_holic

scuba_holic Member

@madmac

My cycle count is only 146 cycles in just over a year. And according to iStat I'm already down to 37% battery life. My Full charge capacity is only 1634mAh or barely one hour of battery life. I've treated the replacement battery the same way I treated the recalled battery. And the first battery still had 2.5 hours of charge time after two years of being practically plugged in all the time.

#13 scuba_holic, Mar 3, 2008
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2008
  14. johnj2803

johnj2803 Active Member

mine had 83 cycles only and it was 9% (this is from the replacement) when i had it replaced with a 3rd part battery from ebay. I was plugged most of the time.

here is the screenshot of my battery health throughout its life... take note that everytime i recalibrated the mAh rating (health) lowered dramatically. I think i may have underused my battery... what do you think?

i dont know what to think anymore. My new battery seems to outperform my original battery tho. But its really too early to tell :D

15. scuba_holic

scuba_holic Member

I was just reading up on this. There definitely seems to be a problem with the replacement batteries. But there seems to be two facts against us. One, though there seems to be a problem with a shortened battery lifespan, we don't seem to have the numbers in our favour. Meaning, Apple may not take notice of it. And secondly, since our Powerbooks have been essentially phased out Apple may have no reason to respond to this issue. Hoping most of us will switch over to an intel machine soon.

But I did read a thread about a few people getting lucky and getting another replacement. So who knows, maybe it will take a little time.

16. johnj2803

johnj2803 Active Member

only two scenarios will make me switch:
    1. if they will release a smaller aluminum portable mac (not the air) that is more in the likes of the macbooks
    2. if my powerbook dies.

i'm simply happy with what i have now :D

17. doughn

doughn Active Member

thanks for the tip!

-doughn

18. Mad Mac

Mad Mac Active Member

I did more research and yes, that seems to be true for lithium ions too. Two things affect battery degradation: 1)State of charge and 2) temperature. The battery will degrade when kept at 100% charge and at higher temperatures. These are the exact conditions for Macs plugged around the clock.

A lithium ion pack can be ruined in 12-18 mos when stored 100% charged at a temperature of 40 deg C. This perfectly explains my brother's ruined pack. He had it plugged every time since the battery recall. Being on the laptop, it is operating in temperatures higher than 40 deg C for sure. His pack has only 1000 mah now after the recall.

My pack is also degrading but not at the same rate. I now have 2950 mah left. I've been occasionally using the laptop on batteries. But most of the time, it is plugged.

The solution is to remove the packs when using the laptop plugged in for long periods of time. In the mean time, the battery pack should be kept cool (down to 0 deg C) and at 40% charge. A dummy (empty) battery pack can be used to protect the laptop from dust. Needless to say, this is impractical and provide no power failure protection. So it is one's call.

For more reading:

http://www.batteryuniversity.com/parttwo-34.htm

#18 Mad Mac, Mar 4, 2008
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2008
  19. ian_gabinete

ian_gabinete Member

Just got my replacement batt today for my pb 12" and I'm not really sure if i'd be happy or not after reading this thread... ;-/

20. zagu

zagu Well-Known Member

mine is doing bad. just a few cycles on it and now its down to 45 mins full charge. i still have my warranty tho i dont know if its covered by APP... is it?