Readily-available BTO iMacs

Discussion in 'iMac' started by cyrianagujo, Dec 30, 2019.

1. cyrianagujo

cyrianagujo Member

Hi, do you know any reputable stores that sells readily-available BTO iMacs? Looking at the one with at least 512gb ssd, but the usual stores tell me that it will take 4-8 weeks to arrive :(

2. mosaka

mosaka Active Member

Better to order it in Apple Store PH. Arrives in 21 days.

cyrianagujo likes this.
  3. oldtimer

oldtimer Active Member

No such a thing as "readily-available BTO" (conflicting terms) :) -- the ETA is conservative, with a majority of the delay contributed by the Bureau of Customs. Ordering online might be faster, but YMMV.

lsalapare and raypin like this.
  4. yoh_hectic

yoh_hectic PhilMUG Addict Member

I did BTO iMac before and the waited 10 weeks to complete.

If I were to redo this I would have bought the highest end in store SKU and added external NVMe SSDs like the Samsung X5 Portable SSD

cyrianagujo likes this.
  5. cyrianagujo

cyrianagujo Member

I remember a friend of mine was able to buy one in BTB a couple of years back, I think they stocked up on a few popular BTO options back then. But I already called and they have no BTO units.

6. cyrianagujo

cyrianagujo Member

I'm actually considering this route with the 2TB fusion drive, but I'm a videographer and photographer and I'm afraid the HDD will be the bottleneck in my workflow. I have the T5 as my scratch drive right now, but is the X5's performance close enought to internal SSDs that the fusion drive might be feasible for me?

7. Hero33

Hero33 PhilMUG Addict Member

Bought my 5k 27 iMac from beyond the box. Top spec.

was an easy sale.

8. Salaryman Ryan

Salaryman Ryan PhilMUG Addict Member

I own a 2tb X5 and I also own the top spec 2019 iMac with 2tb SSD. The X5 gets hot and throttles performance in prolonged use. Even at its peak performance, the X5 is slower then the Apple SSD. If you want the best performance and willing to pay, go for the internal Apple SSD.

9. yoh_hectic

If you're doing multiple 4K video edits then Fusion Drive may be too slow.

You can select a Thunderbolt 3 drive listed below as your boot drive
    • $840 G-Technology 2TB G-DRIVE mobile Pro Thunderbolt 3 External SSD
    • $1,000 Glyph Technologies 2TB Atom Pro NVMe Solid-State Drive
    • $480 OWC / Other World Computing 2TB Envoy Pro EX Rugged Portable Thunderbolt 3 SSD
    • $700 LaCie 2TB Rugged SSD PRO Thunderbolt 3 External SSD
    • $999 Samsung 2TB X5 Portable SSD
    Then treat the 2TB Fusion Drive as your Time Machine

Buy 2x32GB Samsung DDR4 2666Mhz SODIMM yourself to install with 2x4GB iMac RAM for a total of 72GB.

Try to look for an in stock iMac with 8GB Video RAM.

Active cooling of the X5 through USB fan may be the answer?

TBH Apple should have dropped the SATA HDD of the Fusion Drive and instead put in a SATA SSD instead.

Response time would be better. NVMe portion would hold the system, apps and frequently accessed data while the SATA portion would hold less frequently accessed data at similar response time and throughput 4x or better read/write than SATA HDD.

#9 yoh_hectic, Jan 3, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2020
  10. cyrianagujo

cyrianagujo Member

Thanks for the very detailed response! Will certainly look into those options you mentioned. Have you tried using an external ssd as your main boot drive? I've read in some reddit threads that external ssds might not be reliable in terms of durability as a boot drive, especially if it's going to be used for heavy tasks such as video and photo editing.

11. cyrianagujo

cyrianagujo Member

Wow, this is the first time I've read about newer ssds being throttled, and also some tests online even say X5 is faster than the internal ssds. Have you noticed slowdowns because of the heat and throttling? Are you also doing heavy tasks?

12. yoh_hectic

I havent done so as my BTO iMac is Thunderbolt 1.

The workflow I mentioned is based on what I read on anti-Fusion Drive threads.

As for the durability and reliability my thinking is these people dont have adequate cooling.

Always backup especially for wedding photos. I know brides and their mothers tend to go bonkers if their photos and videos are lost.

13. Salaryman Ryan

Sadly it throttles. I had to learn the hard way by owning it. I do multi cam 4K editing on my X5 when I’m on the road on my 15 inch MacBook Pro (2018) and notice the slow down vs on my older 2017 iMac with 2tb SSD when exporting and rendering.

Here is a quote from a detailed review from anantech:

“We see that the thermal management scheme adopted by Samsung is very detrimental to long-running sequential write jobs (typical of first-time backups), despite managing to limit the internal SSD temperature to less than 56C. Write speeds often got down as low as 60 MBps.”

SOURCE: https://www.anandtech.com/show/13276/the-samsung-portable-ssd-x5-review-thunderbolt-3-and-nvme-/4

I have a similar experience. When it gets really hot I tested it with my AJA Blackmagic speed test and can only get 100-200 mb write. I have to unplug it and wait for it to cool down for 5 to 10 minutes to get back the lost performance. Not ideal in video editing where the app constantly writes large chunks of data constantly.

As for the Apple BTO SSD. True it is pricy but remember at the moment Apple SSDs is one of the fastest, if not the fastest in the industry.

My maxed out 2019 iMac with 2tb SSD gets a consistent 2400-2600 mb read/write. Much much more comfortable to use in video editing then the X5.

cyrianagujo likes this.
  14. cyrianagujo

cyrianagujo Member

Damn, that's a HUGE dip in performance! I have a similar workflow, though not multi-cam all the time, but then with what you just said, the X5 is certainly not an option as a replacement for the boot drive. At least with the kind of work we do.

"As for the Apple BTO SSD. True it is pricy but remember at the moment Apple SSDs is one of the fastest, if not the fastest in the industry." - yeah, and at least you have the peace of mind that it's actually designed for constant use and abuse.

OT:
    "My maxed out 2019 iMac with 2tb SSD gets a consistent 2400-2600 mb read/write. Much much more comfortable to use in video editing then the X5" - this right here is actually the dream, wishing I had the funds for this setup! hahaha. Didn't you consider the iMac Pro?

15. Salaryman Ryan

If you check the reviews, the highest end 2019 iMac has essentially similar performance as the 8 core iMac Pro for over 70k less. If I get an iMac Pro I would be just paying for extras like 10gigabit ethernet, 1080p webcam, and server grade parts (ECC memory, Xeon cpus) that I don't need.