read/write to ext2 or ext3 solution?

Discussion in 'OS X and OS X Apps' started by Kenneth, Jan 28, 2010.

1. Kenneth

Kenneth Moderator

Anybody know a way for OS X to read/write to Linux format ext2/ext3? I want to access my eGreat hard drive directly via USB for faster transfers.

Most solutions I've googled don't work anymore with Snow Leopard.

2. alistair

alistair Member

3. paparazzi

paparazzi Well-Known Member

4. skinhead

skinhead Active Member

i have the same problem a few weeks back but my problem is transferring all files from 1TB and a few smaller disk to 2x1.5TB for my torrent box d-link dns-323..

here's the blog i followed to mount EXT3: (http://www.ericwingate.com/2009/09/27/mounting-ext3-in-snow-leopard/)

but just follow alistair link coz it's much easier than what i found above - the process is almost the same though but in my case my EXT3 just won't mount as read/write but as read only (i'm ok with read) but the real problem is since i'm on OSX snow (MBP) i'm limited to plugging just one or two drive and i don't have that much external enclosure..

what i did instead since i have a PC/hackintosh - is plug the 5 hard drive via internal sata (2x1TB and 2x1.5TB + 160GB IDE) then boot a linux live CD and copy from there.. transfer speed is at it's peak coz it's SATA (faster than fw800) but the wait is still long since it's 5 drive copying at the same time... :)