Rate the latest film you've watched

Discussion in 'Media and content' started by micvindelmer, Jun 15, 2014.

1. lamski

lamski PhilMUG Addict Member

Due to the good reviews from PhilMuggers, I watched Angel Has Fallen - liked it. 8/10.
    Although, I was wondering - why didn't they use those drones when they actually needed to eliminate agent Banning?

raypin likes this.
  2. raypin

raypin PhilMUG Addict Member

Mm...loved the idea behind killer drones. This type of warfare is still in its infancy in the real world. Yemenese rebels backed by Iran have used killer drones against Saudi Arabia. Hard to detect and hard to bring down. The US is currently experimenting with these types of weapon.

The drone attack scene in the film was awesome.

jesusluison, hitme64 and lamski like this.
  3. hitme64

hitme64 PhilMUG Addict Member

You can’t just eliminate Banning. He’s a superhero. He’s far super than even Homelander. They’ll use Banning against America’s enemies as many as the presidents he protects. He’s the quintessential symbol of white male superiority and American bravado. And he’s Scottish for heaven’s sake so the irony.

4. bugs

bugs PhilMUG Addict Member

Just like our very own Cardo Dalisay? hehe

greta87 and hitme64 like this.
  5. lamski

lamski PhilMUG Addict Member

The best armor is plot armor! :)

Sunil_K, hitme64 and raypin like this.
  6. Ghibli

Ghibli Well-Known Member

Weathering with you (2019)

Japan’s selected contender for the Oscars for Best International Film (previously the category id named Best Foreign Language Film), is visually spectacular supported by a wonderful soundtrack, the story however I feel is dull and the romance, forced, saccharine and lacking chemistry. It could have been more and I wished the mythicism involving the weather had been more fleshed out.

6/10.

macdiver likes this.
  7. hitme64

Who doesn't love Truman? Jim Carrey's dramatic offing should've landed him an Oscar nom, and so does Ed Harris, in this Twilight Zone-ish film that gave the twist in movies some candy eye. Watched this for the nth time because it's a bittersweet tale of redemption in the end. 8/10
    The-Truman-Show.jpg

Ghibli likes this.
  8. macdiver

macdiver PhilMUG Addict Member

I've always loved how Makoto Shinkai romantically captures the cityscapes of Tokyo and the natural elements of Japan, and that alone is a good reason for me to watch his latest movie.

It's quite unfortunate that Weathering With You failed to meet the expectations of most of the Your Name fans. Makoto Shinkai will have to endure the haunting success of Your Name. Somewhere in the movie, while hearing the all too familiar RADWIMPS music, I wondered... "Don't the Japanese find it confusing listening to the same artists for the soundtrack of Weathering With You?..."

Later on, I realized that it was all part of the fan service... Weathering With You's storyline is, in fact, connected to the Your Name timeline. It is not really a sequel, but more like a spinoff. Even the main characters of Your Name (as grownups, this time) made cameo appearances in Weathering With You.

It wasn't as epic as Your Name, but I enjoyed the movie. Maybe the teenage boy main character wasn't as distinct as the other main characters, but the story and storytelling was tight.

8/10

Btw, Hollywood will be making a live action version of Your Name... with a Western interpretation. JJ Abrams will be producing the movie.

Ghibli likes this.
  9. Ghibli

Ghibli Well-Known Member

Comparisons between the two movies is inevitable as both are romances that involve a supernatural element that complicates the said romance. The supernatural aspect of the Your Name feels more grounded to the story whereas weathering feels a bit hollow and superficial. Your name is unique as it is a love story that begins after the end of the film which is one of the reasons why people are fond of it. To me, it is indeed superior. Weathering is just a flawed repackaged version of Your Name.

hitme64 and macdiver like this.
  10. macdiver

macdiver PhilMUG Addict Member

I guess that's the price he has to pay for the global success of Your Name... after Your Name became a cult classic, his succeeding projects are doomed to be compared with it.

Weathering With You didn't have a poignant story like The Garden of Words and 5 Centimeters Per Second, and it didn't have the strong supernatural elements of Your Name or Children Who Chase Lost Voices... but the movie fits perfectly in the middle of all his creations.

Hmmm... so can it be considered mediocre?

I enjoyed the visuals and the soundtracks.
    I'm just glad local cinemas are showing movies like Weathering With You now.

Ghibli and hitme64 like this.
  11. hitme64

The Dead Don’t Die. Should have stayed dead, for all I care. Never mind if Bill Murray was his usual self but Adam Driver and Chloe Sevigny were like zombies. Too much for hype.

3/10. And I am being generous here.

12. Ghibli

Ghibli Well-Known Member

It: Chapter Two

Funnier but less scarier than the first. Bloated Narratively and less cohesive than the first, but the excellent performances of the cast especially Bill Hader as adult Richie and James Ransone as adult Eddie, makes it far more enjoyable.

7/10

13. Godfather

Godfather PhilMUG Addict Member

Yesterday 9/10

I loved this movie. I'm only a casual Beatles fan, but even I loved it. I imagine Beatle-maniacs heads would explode.

It's kinda sci-fi, kinda musical, kinda comedy, kinda romantic. It's just a well written and well performed movie.

Ghibli likes this.
  14. Ghibli

Ghibli Well-Known Member

Mystic River (2003)

Heartbreaking and Gripping murder mystery with excellent performances by Sean Penn and Tim Robbins, bolstered by Clint Eastwood's direction.

8/10.

15. SE20

SE20 PhilMUG Addict Member

The Age of Adaline (2015)

Saw this on Netflix while I was in Japan. Loved it. Didn't know anything about it, which is often a good way to get into a movie. Reviews say this was Harrison Ford's best performance since Witness.

Juice and Mykolant like this.
  16. hitme64

There’s this movie called Anna and it’s not about any Russian royalty or musical, but a rather French take at Atomic Blonde or Point of No Return. It’s directed by Luc Besson who’s last actioner in Hollywood must be Hardcore Henry. I only watched this because Cillian Murphy appears as a protagonist, and because as a Peaky Blinders fan, this is a must.

Sasha Luss as Anna is like the Miley Cyrus of the assassin world. Nuff said.

6/10

raypin and Sunil_K like this.
  17. hitme64

Watching this musical satire of Commando, probably Arnold’s most successful non-Terminator movie ever, is golden. And it featured Freddie Mercury on steroids. Yeah, laugh :LOL:

The movie is among my top films on list. So 7.5/10.