Rate the latest film you've watched

Discussion in 'Media and content' started by micvindelmer, Jun 15, 2014.

1. colormehappy

colormehappy New Member

The Aviator (2004)

I'd rate it an 8/10. Never seen a movie by Martin Scorsese before but this biopic's really amazing. I'm surprised that Leonardo didn't get the Oscars for this, but he always gets snubbed by the Academy anyway for some unknown reason. lol

Ghibli likes this.
  2. eag

eag PhilMUG Addict Member

Yesterday - 7/10 The movie didn’t live up to its trailer. The trailer was very musical, and somehow the movie wasn’t. It’s ironic that for a movie about music there’s almost no background music throughout the movie, which made most of the scenes come across very flat. It wasn’t a bad movie and the premise was great, but the film was 30 minutes too long and it felt like they just didn’t get it right somehow.

bugs and Ghibli like this.
  3. bugs

bugs PhilMUG Addict Member

Ah was looking forward to watching this, because the premise was intriguing. I guess I'll wait to download it na lang hehe.

4. hitme64

hitme64 PhilMUG Addict Member

Out of the blue, I actually watched Yesterday and endured it until the end. Less comedy chops than I wanted but tolerable nevertheless. I also thumbed through a movie database and saw two movies, Today (didn't watch it because it's drama and old and drama), and then Tomorrow (not Tomorrowland, just...) which is a Polish movie in English subtitles about an alien invasion (so ho-hum).

So, Yesterday 7/10; Today 0/10; and Tomorrow 5/10.

greta87, Sunil_K and Sleepdoc like this.
  5. Mykolant

Mykolant PhilMUG Addict Member

Between Down Under and the Great White North
    Ralph Wrecks the Internet - 7/10

So much fun! And I really liked the way the Internet was depicted in that form.

jesusluison, greta87 and hitme64 like this.
  6. Ghibli

Ghibli Well-Known Member

Crawl 8/10.

Surprisingly an effective, intense, terrifying thriller about a family trapped in crocodile infested waters in the midst of a hurricane. Competent performances reinforced by adept direction elevates a simple concept into greater heights of terror. You’ll know it’s a good horror movie once you hear the audience screaming left and right. Had so much fun.

Sunil_K and hitme64 like this.
  7. Ghibli

Ghibli Well-Known Member

Scary Stories To Tell The Dark

There are truly horrifying sequences that worked best here courtesy of the wonderful camerawork, which generated enough tension and terror to keep the viewers at edge. The movie is about a haunted book that writes horror stories that come to life, with each story, having a specific monster and a specific victim, based on the latter’s trauma, or fears. The film works best when it focuses on the individual horror story that terrorize its designated victim into completion. However, the overarching plot that ties these horror stories together is the weakest aspect of the movie, leaving a lot to be desired. Still, it’s a decent film with fantastically designed monsters that warrants consideration.

6/10.

hitme64 likes this.
  8. hitme64

Brightburn

Superman gone Freddy Krueger. Or to be exact, the young Homelander before joining The Seven.

A supernatural horror story with superhuman undertones. Typical trope presented by The Boys, Preacher, and The Watchmen. Meeh.

6.2/10

jesusluison and Sunil_K like this.
  9. Ghibli

Ghibli Well-Known Member

Parasite

Probably one of the best movies I have seen this year. An impressive examination of social inequity and the deception to get by its effects. The story of how a deceiving poor family meticulously exploits a wealthy family of four, brimming with dark humor and melancholy .Brilliant directed and wonderfully written, that ending will linger on with you for a while.

9/10.

greta87, shifty_md and hitme64 like this.
  10. shifty_md

shifty_md Active Member

Parasite, a 9/10 for me as well. Even in translation, the script was brilliant. And the dark humor was impeccable. I'd watch this again, no doubt.

Ghibli likes this.
  11. hitme64

Because it’s Movie night, we watched The Big Lebowski for the nth time, enjoying more and more The Dude and Walter and Donny and whoever else got in their way.

Brilliant Coen script and direction. John Goodman deserved a supporting actor Oscar here. As always, The Dude abides.

9/10

Ghibli and Sunil_K like this.
  12. imart

imart Well-Known Member

Angel Has Fallen
    8.5/10
    The drones. The Butler. The Morgan Freeman. The explosions and the Dad.
    Man, their domestic terrorists make ours look so amateurish.

13. Ghibli

Ghibli Well-Known Member

The Counterfeiters (2007)

Tells the gripping account of the true story of Operation Bernhard, the largest counterfeiting operation in history, carried out by Germany during WWII in an attempt to weaken the economies of their enemy countries and finance Nazi operations. One of the operations entail coercion of capable Jewish prisoners, to carry out the counterfeiting, inside a concentration camp, in exchange for their lives. Everyday becomes a fight for survival, wherein their people, with no value are being exterminated, they must reconcile that idea whether it is right to cooperate or resist with the Nazis. Absolutely thrilling.

9/10.

hitme64 likes this.
  14. hitme64

I have yet to watch this. Am a sucker for WWII movies of the The Longest Day, Saving Private Ryan, The Bridge Too Far kind. Not the one called Overlord, which I just sat down to watch, and barring all the CGI and overly dramatic representations of heroic American GIs, is such a bad, bad movie.

4/10. For trying.

raypin and Ghibli like this.
  15. ronnel0918

ronnel0918 PhilMUG Addict Member

Parasite (2019)

[​IMG]

9/10

Ghibli and greta87 like this.
  16. Ghibli

Ghibli Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

I liked Overlord, it has it flaws though but it delivered the action and gore, it was entertaining for me. As for The Counterfeiters, it's more of a dialogue driven film, not action movie per se but it's a WWII movie nonetheless. It won the Academy Award for Best Foreign Film in 2007 so it really is worth checking out. I'm fascinated by the time period of WWII as well, stories not only told at the battle front lines but the impact of war elsewhere as well, movies that I am fond of include but not limited to Schindler's list (1993), Saving Private Ryan (1998), The Thin Red Line (1999), The Pianist (2002), Letters from Iwo Jima (2005), and Black Book (2006).

#1516 Ghibli, Aug 25, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 25, 2019
  17. raypin

raypin PhilMUG Addict Member

Mm...Angel Has Fallen.....still works for me. 8/10.

lamski and hitme64 like this.
  18. hitme64

^Mike Banning should’ve been Secret Service director by now given all the time he has been fighting everyone to protect the President.

And why hasn’t the Service upgraded themselves from all the threats they faced anyway? They can’t have Banning fighting all terrorists for them until, hmm, he’s 70 years old because, you know, only Rambo and The Terminator can do that.

raypin likes this.
  19. Mykolant

Mykolant PhilMUG Addict Member

Between Down Under and the Great White North
    ....and Liam Neeson....

20. hitme64

The guy would do Taken if he still had to. To rescue his great granddaughter from criminals would need his special skills, even if he’s 70 years old plus.

porkypork likes this.