Rate the latest film you've watched

Discussion in 'Media and content' started by micvindelmer, Jun 15, 2014.

1. ice

ice PhilMUG Addict Member

How to Train Your Dragon: The Hidden World - 6/10

First movie under the How to Train Your Dragon series that I watched in a cinema (I think the first one I watched in HBO, the 2nd one in-flight)

Tickets were free so expectations are a bit lower.

Film was ok... For me the first one was cute, second one was ok. I guess they just needed to end the story with the 3rd one.

2. hitme64

hitme64 PhilMUG Addict Member

Just for the heck of it, sat down and watched This is The End on a new 4K screen...so hilariously campy and grotesquely funny considering Seth Rogen, Jay Baruchel, Danny McBride, Craig Robinson, Jonah Hill, James Franco, and a cameo filled night of Hollywood comedians went improv to "celebrate" an LA-version of the Apocalypse...

maxresdefault.jpg
    The best part? The film ends with the Backstreet Boys in heaven dancing to "Everybody"! Just gold...9/10(y)

Sunil_K likes this.
  3. ronnel0918

ronnel0918 PhilMUG Addict Member

A Star is Born

[​IMG]

9.5/10

I love this movie. Have not seen the original but this is sooo beautiful. I can't stop thinking about it after watching it.

Lady Gaga is phenomenal.

Wish I've seen this on theater (Dolby). :(

Dekra likes this.
  4. boobtubefreak

boobtubefreak Active Member

Alone/Together: 8/10
    How to train your dragon 3: 8/10 fitting ending to the trilogy

5. suavecito

suavecito PhilMUG Addict Member

Green Book 9/10

6. leninmac

leninmac PhilMUG Addict Member

Captain Marvel 7/10 - Not the best MCU movie but still fun. This kinda stitches the previous movies together. I loved that they changed the Marvel Films Intro to give tribute to Stan Lee. You wouldn't want to miss the 2 post credit scenes. The first one is extremely important.

Sunil_K and lamski like this.
  7. Mykolant

Mykolant PhilMUG Addict Member

Between Down Under and the Great White North
    Captain Marvel - 7.5/10 but it felt like a 10 after seeing how my family loved it!

I didn't feel as tired as when I did after watching the other Marvel films. Maybe this one was easier on the eyes, and the 90s soundtrack certainly helped.

And that Marvel opening tribute to Stan Lee was so cool.

Sunil_K likes this.
  8. greta87

greta87 PhilMUG Addict Member

Dragged Across Concrete : 8/10
    Starring Mel Gibson/ Vince Vaughn. I didn't expect to be entertained but I was. 2 1/2 hours long though. slow burn.. lots of violence, gory violence.

raypin likes this.
  9. hitme64

Am a sucker for '90s movies, so I watched in 4K the venerable Star Trek parody, Galaxy Quest...8.8/10

Best line ever...

The halting deadpan delivery is top-notch. Gonna miss Hans Gruber.

Juice, Sunil_K, Godfather and 4 others like this.
  10. boobtubefreak

boobtubefreak Active Member

Captain Marvel 8/10 Loved the 90's throwback but I felt something was missing. Wonder Woman it is not.
    Us 7.5/10 I really don't know how I feel about this one, it left me confounded , it's really something different but the plot holes leave a lot to be desired but I must say Lupita and her daughter in the movie are really creepy

11. hitme64

SPOILER: ^Well because they aren’t who they say they are...

Us is a notch above Get Out, because it references a whole lot of 90’s themes and because Jordan Peele wrote it with most of his creepy dreams in mind. But the doppelganger meeting his/her human match isn’t a new idea in movies but Peele has crafted Us in such a way that we might question whether our own doppelganger is somewhere lurking and waiting for the moment to replace us.

Hence, Us. 9/10

Juice, Sunil_K and Godfather like this.
  12. greta87

Hunter Killer 6/10

typical submarine adventure trying to rekindle US-Russia cold war edginess... lots of plot holes.. but brainless entertainment nonetheless.

#1432 greta87, Mar 27, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2019
    Godfather likes this.
  13. raypin

raypin PhilMUG Addict Member

Mm....wasted my time watching that crap. :(

greta87 likes this.
  14. hitme64

^Kursk would have been better, and it's a true story of the Russian sub that sunk with all its men onboard still alive...8/10

I took the opportunity to test a friend's Dolby Surround system :LOL: watching Black Hawk Down...incredible action and noises of battle were almost authentically nearby...the movie was sublime 9/10

15. greta87

I saw this interview of a retired US Navy Seal & to him, the ONLY movies with realistic battle scenes are:

1) the first 20 minutes of Saving Private Ryan
    2) Black Hawk Down

16. hitme64

^13 Hours was drivel and full of cinematic hogwash, according to CIA contractor Kris ”Tanto” Paronto who was portrayed in the film. Those 13 hours of the attack on a CIA compound were nothing compared to the film, saying that “we were constantly on alert and involved in some skirmishes but not the full-scale battle you see on screen.”

I previously gave this movie 9/10. Now its 7.2/10.

greta87 likes this.
  17. rbenzon

rbenzon Super
    Staff Member

am no war vet, but i agree—except spielberg ruined saving private ryan with its "tell me i've lived a good life" ending. ugh.

black hawk down may have been the most riveting military battle book that i have read, which i did way before the movie came out. the book was better, but ridley scott managed to convey war's chaos well.

just watched shazam now. fun flick. it has a deadpool vibe, but much more PG-13, of course—because shazam is essentially tom hanks' BIG, with a cape. shazam is lighter, less trying to be world's savior, unlike that recent "why so serious?" movie that was made as a "filler" before end game. :p

18. raypin

Mm...agree. The first time I watched Saving Private Ryan was in a Sacramento movie theater. The opening scene was just mind-blowingly realistic. It changed my perspective about war: it is truly horrendous. Most spine-chilling scene: the one where the German soldier slowly sank a bayonet through chest of the GI infantryman who was pleading for his life.

Brutal.

#1438 raypin, Apr 1, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 1, 2019
    Mykolant, hitme64 and greta87 like this.
  19. hitme64

^Speaking of war movies, try rewatching Schindler’s List and The Pianist back-to-back and you’ll be having a migraine from the wretchedness, the violence, the inhumanity of war and its toll on the victims. Truly humbling to those who came back from such a gruesome experience in their lives.

And here we have some schmuck of a candidate saying let’s go to war against a superpower because you know we are piqued in our concept of sovereignty and as a nation we can succeed and survive such a war. Bulls**t. As if he himself would go to war when all those who do are the armed services and the conscript army. But not him because you know he’s gonna be a politician and politicians don’t go to war.

kyubi, Sunil_K, raypin and 1 other person like this.
  20. raypin

Mm....Hellboy (2019)....8/10. Puwede na. Lots of action. Lots of popcorn and cold, cold coke zero needed. I did not fall asleep, not even for a minute. Perfect summer flick.

Edit: critics are having a field day excoriating this remake....but heck...it is summer (heat index up to 400° celsius). Time for some brainless, fantasy flick and an excuse to go to the mall cinema to just veg out.

#1440 raypin, Apr 12, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2019
    Sunil_K, hitme64 and lamski like this.