Rate the latest film you've watched

Discussion in 'Media and content' started by micvindelmer, Jun 15, 2014.

1. leninmac

leninmac PhilMUG Addict Member

Glass 7/10 Not as bad as what the critics are saying but definitely far inferior to Unbreakable and Split. McAvoy deserves an Oscar.

Sunil_K likes this.
  2. eag

eag Active Member

Agree with this. 7/10 for me also, but if you haven't seen both Unbreakable and Split this will be a 2/10 for you
    James McAvoy was good in this one, cycling through the personality changes. I think it would have been better if they had filmed his scenes as "normal people" first when he's physically small, and then wait and let him bulk up all the way before filming his scenes as the beast

leninmac likes this.
  3. rbenzon

rbenzon Super
    Staff Member

Few trilogies have succeeded. Godfather 3 was a dud. The three Star Wars trilogies were uneven, at best.

How to Train Your Dragon 3 was a loveable ending to a terrific trilogy. A bonafide trifecta! :)

raypin, jesusluison, Sunil_K and 2 others like this.
  4. lamski

lamski Well-Known Member

Upgrade - if you like futuristic cyberpunk action revenge-drama with a twist, give this movie a try. 8/10

hitme64 and raypin like this.
  5. leninmac

leninmac PhilMUG Addict Member

Alita Battle Angel 7/10.

jesusluison and raypin like this.
  6. hitme64

hitme64 PhilMUG Addict Member

On Netflix?

Watched, against my better judgment, the most incongruously cringe-worthy film of all time, Bato, in deference to a friend.

Should’ve joined the bandwagon. Wasted 2 hours of my life on the silliest biopic I have ever encountered.

Rotten Tomatoes is right. If they could give a negative score lower than -100, this is it.

0/10. Literally.

raypin, Godfather and Sleepdoc like this.
  7. lamski

lamski Well-Known Member

I bought the movie on iTunes when it was on sale.

hitme64 likes this.
  8. Godfather

Godfather PhilMUG Addict Member

Overlord 8/10

Remember that game Wolfenstein? This is it if it were made into a movie. Mutated Nazi soldiers vs GI Joes.

Not a bad movie. It felt like an old timey B-movie, but done with good taste and effort. The casting of black actors in WWII roles is questionable though, since in real life, most African Americans were segregated into their own platoons during the war. And especially a black Sgt in the 1940's commanding whites? Sadly, this would have been incredibly rare if not downright impossible.

If you can ignore that, all the actors put in their best efforts. Interesting cast include the GI corporal who is actually played by the son of Kurt Russell and Goldie Hawn. The big baddy Nazi is that guy who played Euron Greyjoy in GoT.

lamski, Sunil_K and hitme64 like this.
  9. hitme64

^And who looks as ugly as he was in GOT, well what do you expect after getting shot in the face?

That was what I thought it was actually, that Overlord was in fact Wolfenstein, and it would have been a great homage if it were. Sadly the director himself had said what the hell was Wolfenstein so we know it won’t be that way.

Godfather likes this.
  10. Godfather

I had not recognized him at first. I thought he looked like Michael Shannon (General Zod in Man of Steel), must be the creepy eyes.

Apparently I'm not the only one to notice the resemblance :

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

hitme64 likes this.
  11. hitme64

^Both of them are intense actors I believe. But Michael is presumably more attuned while Pilou is quite comical.

I’ve seen Pilou in some Scandinavian action films and he usually is the antagonist. Michael’s portrayal of a desperate father seen as an insane apocalyptic mongerer in Take Shelter should have been Oscar material.

Sunil_K likes this.
  12. lamski

lamski Well-Known Member

Joshua Jackson also has a similar face.
    [​IMG]

Godfather and hitme64 like this.
  13. hitme64

I sat down on this windy quiet Saturday to watch the indie flick The Man Who Killed Hitler and then The Bigfoot thinking it was some Grindhouse copycat. I was wrong. This slow burning tempestuous yet heartwarming take of an old grizzled veteran played by Sam Elliott who is said to have assassinated Hitler, hence the title, is asked to do the same thing on a diseased Bigfoot spreading his plague in Canada, hence the title. In between there are vignettes of his World War II mission and the love of his life, interspersed with the present and his bland routine that most senior citizens are apt to do.

I sat throughout this movie and was never dulled by it. It was a great resort from those horror flicks, i.e. Overlord, that seem to populate cinemas right now.

Watch it if you want a change of pace. Preferably on a slow day. Like Saturdays.

8/10
    F6CB1AF2-771F-42C2-A980-D2CF010159C2.png

14. boobtubefreak

boobtubefreak Active Member

Alita Battle Angel : 7/10 okay just okay

15. boobtubefreak

boobtubefreak Active Member

A Dogs way home 8/10 I swear someone was slicing onions beside me

16. lamski

lamski Well-Known Member

Alita Battle Angel - I loved the world building and action. I hope they make a sequel. 8/10

17. Godfather

Sam Elliott's moustache deserves its own casting credit due to its awesomeness. :p

hitme64 and Mykolant like this.
  18. hitme64

Got cold watching Liam Neeson in Cold Pursuit, this remake of the Norwegian crime revenge noir In Order of Disappearance (which started the better Stellan Skarsgard), and clearly it was poorly, poorly made. The Norse classic was way better and funnier and darker than this Neeson starrer who just recently courted controversy by saying he wanted to do revenge on any black dude for raping women. Gone are his special set of skills in Taken and his predatory tactics in The Grey. So long Liam, it was nice knowing you.

3/10. No, 3.2/10.

raypin and Godfather like this.
  19. Godfather

Green Book
    8.5/10

A black, gay musician with elitist habits and high-society preferences doing a tour in the deep south during the early 60's - seems like the perfect recipe for a black man committing suicide, but it's intriguing that that is exactly what Don Shirley did, and he wasn't trying to kill himself either. Mahershala Ali is impressive in this role, a far cry from his last role as the super tough guy mobster Cottonmouth in Luke Cage. I've always liked Ali since first seeing him in an old show called The 4400. He was also great in Moonlight. I hope he gets even bigger and better roles.

Viggo Mortensen is fantastic as always, and he really fattened up for the role of Tony Lip. With race and casting being such sensitive subjects nowadays, I'm surprised the Danish-American Mortensen got away with playing an Italian. He got the language, intonation, mannerisms, expressions and hand gestures so perfectly, he'd be a shoo-in for Goodfellas, Sopranos, A Bronx Tale, etc. However, I am sure Italian American actors would take issue with a non paisan taking the job of other Italian actors. Speaking of race, Mortensen got into trouble when during an interview, he said “For instance, no one says ‘ni****’ anymore.” And I think he said it while seated beside Ali. Of course all the politically correct Americans (curiously a lot of caucasians) expressed shock and made such an uproar, that Viggo later apologized. Ali accepted his apology with some reservations.

I think context is very important. He wasn't calling someone the N-word, he just said the word is not said anymore, unlike in the time period where the movie was based on. It's just funny to me how the US can be both a country that is both super racist and yet hyper-sensitive to racial things. I agree that white people have forfeited their right to ever use or utter the N-word because of what their ancestors did to the African Americans, and what they are continuing to do with the descendants for that matter, but the thing that happened with Viggo seems like such an over-reaction. Again, they were talking about a movie about the deep south in the 60's.

raypin likes this.
  20. raypin

raypin PhilMUG Addict Member

Ot: mm...short film..it’s a 10....that’s 1 + 0 = 10.

:p:ROFLMAO: