Quicktime vs. VLC 1.0

Discussion in 'OS X and OS X Apps' started by alfiesy, Jul 30, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. alfiesy

alfiesy Active Member

I noticed that when playing AVI's, VLC tends to drop a lot of frames, temporarily freeze up my system, and heats up my Macbook Air fast.

Apple Quicktime seems to handle the AVI files I have much better on my Macbook Air. Does VLC do the same to your Macbook Air?

2. xepheryfc

xepheryfc Member

but quicktime is way too elitist, you need a pro version to use the different features, so it's vlc for me, :)

3. loopy

loopy Member

i've been having issues with VLC 1.0 playback on my mbp too. a lot of stuttering, check VLC's forums. seems to be a common issue. i'm considering returning to mplayer...

4. alfiesy

alfiesy Active Member

I've had that problem too.

5. rafaelc378

rafaelc378 Active Member

I'm actually testing out Mplayer on my Mac. The VLC freezes have gotten to the point of annoying me. Mplayer's actually really nice, although I'm wondering if it's as versatile as VLC.

6. imabs

imabs Active Member

AVI is almost the same as Quicktime's .mov. it is uncompressed video format at VLC can handle small and compressed video.

why there are drop frames during playback in VLC? uncompressed digital videos like .mov and .avi are much dependent on rams, graphics and processor. so if your mac book air heats up fast, you should not be watching avi and .mov video that are large files.

what you can do is to convert those avi video to m4v, that is playable in mac book air and iPods/iPhones.

7. nurse_corrupted

VLC FTW! Used it and plays .mkv files and .wmv. So no problem to the most common video files I used.

8. kyapjoco

kyapjoco Member

Increase the buffer time of VLC to get rid of the stutters. Close other running apps as well.

9. edricdude

edricdude Active Member

VLC, for .AVI files and mkv. for anime series hehe!

10. pengski

pengski Active Member

QuickTime Pro for me.....

11. outaru-go

outaru-go Member

VLC here it play .rmvb files it can also transcode..

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.