Quicken: How useful?

Discussion in 'OS X and OS X Apps' started by john edward, Aug 12, 2008.

1. john edward

john edward Member

Im not an accountant but understand it. Im considering using quicken to manage my personal finances.

any feedback out there?

bpi online seems to offer quicken downloads for account transaction history.

2. geraldo3

geraldo3 Member

Re: Quicken...how useful?

I have been using Quicken since 1998 .. and it works for me .. organized finances ko .. if there is anything to organize that is :D

3. birdieputt

birdieputt Member

been using quicken 2000. it shows me the whole picture of my finances. i can easily see where my money goes. it's my cash flow management.

4. john edward

john edward Member

great feedback guys. are you based in the phil?

what banks support the app. bpi seems to support it but doubt if CSR will get back to me to confirm. ill call my branch to ask.

5. Bruce Hall

Bruce Hall Member

I am in the Philippines and use Quicken, and have been for several years. I started using Quicken when I was in the US and my US bank and financial accounts can (mostly) be downloaded using Quicken. However, I have not tried downloading the data from my Philippine bank accounts nor have I saw anything about any Philippine banks supporting Quicken. However, I do not have a BPI bank account and know little about them. I would say go for it, though there are a couple of other options.

6. g5i

g5i Member

been using quicken for some time now, and before that, microsoft money.
    its a very useful tool for organizing your finances, specifically your assets, investments, and liabilities. you can track your stock portfolio, money market transactions, and also monitor your expenses.
    the reporting capabilities are great, and you can customize what you want to see.
    definitely a must-have app for everyone

7. mindless

mindless Member

Might I suggest a more robust online solution like http://www.mint.com/

This app has tight integration with credit cards and banks so you can automatically get notified of how much you're spending quite accurately.

8. dasaint

dasaint PhilMUG Addict Member

HSBC has an option for you to download your bank account to Quicken.

9. john edward

john edward Member

Update: BPI unfortunately discontinued the Quicken downloads. Quicken too cannot be purchased online as you would from the US but you can order the box which will probably cost $120 (incl shipping and duties).

10. john edward

john edward Member

I settled with Ibank by IGG Software LLC. Im still using a trial copy. the registered version is only $59 if its available via download (so far you have to buy and ship the box from amazon) but i havent tried the IGG site yet.

The integration with Mac is pretty tight (iCAL-scheduled transactions and Mobile Me for on the fly transactions). The app is surprisingly easy to use and intuitive being someone who is a non-accountant but understands basic accounting.

HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!