Questions on Software Licenses

Discussion in 'OS X and OS X Apps' started by Bulakbol, Jul 31, 2008.

1. Bulakbol

Bulakbol Active Member

What happens to software licenses if ever I sell my MacBook and get a new one? Can I transfer all licenses and re-use them with the new computer? The same question goes if the computer crashed and is deemed unusable. Would I need to purchase new licenses for the new Mac?

2. bacchus_3

bacchus_3 PhilMUG Addict Member

Except for the Install DVD of each Mac, I haven't seen an OEM type license in software for Macs. The same type of license common in MS Windows machines. You can transfer all licenses to new Macs.

3. raypin

raypin PhilMUG Addict Member

I think this is the pertinent provision in the EULA:

3. Transfer.
    You may not rent, lease, lend, redistribute or sublicense the Apple Software. You may, however, make a one-time permanent transfer of all of your license rights to the Apple Software (in its original form as provided by Apple) to another party, provided that: (a) the transfer must include all of the Apple Software, including all its component parts, original media, printed materials and this License; (b) you do not retain any copies of the Apple Software, full or partial, including copies stored on a computer or other storage device; and (c) the party receiving the Apple Software reads and agrees to accept the terms and conditions of this License. You may not rent, lease, lend, redistribute, sublicense or transfer any Apple Software that has been modified or replaced under Section 2B above. NFR (Not for Resale) Copies: Notwithstanding other sections of this License, Apple Software labeled or otherwise provided to you on a promotional basis may only be used for demonstration, testing and evaluation purposes and may not be resold or transferred.

4. Bulakbol

Bulakbol Active Member

I get confused with the per user and per machine licenses. Although I have not checked each one of them, I am just worried that I would be spending money again for licenses if ever I would buy a new Mac. Would you know how Parallels is being licensed?

#4 Bulakbol, Jul 31, 2008
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2008
  5. jaijin

jaijin Well-Known Member

Yeah. once you do, that's piracy baby!

6. ice_man

ice_man Active Member

@jaijin

really? are you sure? even when the previous computer is already unusable? or if buying a new mac. maybe you can uninstall all your softwares from your old mac so that you could transfer it to your new one.

7. raypin

raypin PhilMUG Addict Member

excerpt from parallels eula:

1.1. Grant of License. Parallels hereby grants to you, and you accept, a limited, nonexclusive license to use the Software in machine-readable, object code form only, and the user manuals accompanying the Software (the “Documentation”), only as authorized in this Agreement. For purposes of this Agreement, the “Software” includes any updates, enhancements, modifications, revisions, or additions to the Software made by Parallels and made available to end-users through Parallels’s web site. Notwithstanding the foregoing, Parallels shall be under no obligation to provide any updates, enhancements, modifications, revisions, or additions to the Software.

1.2. Scope of Use. You may use one copy of the Software activated by a license key on a single server (virtual or physical) owned, leased, or otherwise controlled by you, at a single time. If you have multiple license keys for the Software, you may make and use as many copies of the Software as you have license keys. For purposes of this Agreement, “use” of the software means loading the Software into the temporary or permanent memory of a computer. Installation of the Software on a network server solely for distribution to other computers is not “use” of the Software, and is permitted, as long as you have a license key for each server (virtual or physical) to which the Software is distributed. The Software may not be used on or distributed to a greater number of computers than you have license keys. If you use or distribute the Software to multiple users, you must ensure that the number of users does not exceed the number of license keys you have obtained, or you will be in breach of this Agreement.

1.4. Assignment of Rights. You will not sublicense, lease, rent, or lend your rights in the Software, Documentation, or license keys, as granted by this Agreement, with any third party without prior written consent of Parallels.

If my interpretation of the terms of agreement is correct, it is silent on the license holder or licensee transfering parallels to another machine that is owned by the license holder. If it is silent, it is legally permissible so long as it is 1 license per machine per owner. What is not permissible is to transfer the license to a "third party without prior consent of Parallels".

So, transfer away but be sure to remove it from your previous machine.

#7 raypin, Aug 1, 2008
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2008
  8. loopy

loopy Member

differs from license to license. you'll have to look up the specific license.

if it's a single time, single computer license such as an OEM (original equipment manufacturer), then it's good only for that computer. if it dies, then that's it. might as well toss the installer.

if it's a single computer at a time license such as microsoft's FPP (full product purchase i think amd more expensive typically), then you can install only in one computer at a time. if you transfer to another, then you'll have to uninstall from the other computer. so if your computer dies, then you can install in a new one.

other licenses allow you a certain number of computers concurrently like apple's OSX family packs. so several computers can have it at once. logic pro is also like this: one desktop and one laptop.

others will limit to a certain number of installs (and i don't like this trend as it's tremendously draconian and unfair) such as mass effect which can only be installed a maximum of three times unless you have a good reason otherwise.

so, you'll have to check the license of the specific product you want to transfer to your new computer.

cheers!