Question regarding Customs tax and Aliexpress

Discussion in 'General OT' started by Aquapods, Nov 15, 2017.

1. Pryor

Pryor New Member

Last December 2018, I purchased a phone at aliexpress around P11k-P12k. I honestly thought at first na as long as less than P15K, I'm safe from taxes. When I claimed it from our local post office, after paying the postal fee, she didn't even ask to inspect or open the package. Not sure if nagmamadali na umuwi since humabol lang ako before 5PM. Ako pa nga nagsabi na pwede ko ba check yung package bago ako umalis. Since closing na, when I saw that naka seal naman yung actual box ng phone, I'll just check the phone for defects/damage at home. After thanking her, she asked what it was, I just casually said it's a phone. Not sure though if curious lang siya or she was trying to catch me or anything.

Confident, I ordered another phone, this time amounting to P14K. Now that I found out that P10K below lang pala ang exempted, I'm now feeling anxious. What I thought at first na nakatipid, mukhang mapapamahal pa ata ako once machambahan na ma tax...

I've been tracking my package via Cainiao: " Import clearance success " and PHLPost: " Returned from Customs (CUSTOMS STATUS: Import authorized, no taxes or duties to be paid) " Since nakalusot na sa Customs diyan sa Manila, does it mean pag dating dito sa Baguio post office, I just have to claim it here, Or I'm still not safe, and pwede pa ako pag initan at kikilan?

Also, after "Returned from Customs" / "Enroute to delivery office", does "Receive item from delivery office" means andito na siya sa Baguio or nasa Manila pa siya? From what I've read, pag pinapapunta na sa Pasay office, don na ako dapat kabahan? Oh God wag niyo naman na ako pababain ng bundok.hehehe Or is it possible dito ako masingil ng Baguio post office for the taxes? Thanks all for your help.

#41 Pryor, May 10, 2019
    Last edited: May 10, 2019
  2. Pryor

Pryor New Member

I will answer my own questions, hopefully it can help others. So I just went to the post office here in Baguio ready to bite the bullet if ever I do have to pay taxes, it was my fault anyway for not doing my homework before ordering. Ok wait, in my defense, I do know there's a "De Minimis" for imported products, nakalimutan ko lang talaga na P10K not P15K ang limit.heheheh After all that suspense, I got the package without any problem. I guess I just got lucky twice. My first order last December 2018 just had a small packaging/box, maybe that's why it didn't raise any red flag from Customs. But this current package almost got caught I think. After checking Cainiao tracking, there was an "Import Clearance Failiure" on 5/5/2019. Then "Import Clearance Success" 5/6/2019. Not sure why it failed the first time, then cleared the following day. I guess I just got really lucky. It would have been a pain if I have to travel to Pasay just to claim, another additional expense on top of the tax. A whole day would have been wasted just to travel back and forth Baguio-Pasay.

The "Receive item from delivery office" meant it was already here in Baguio. I wanted to get it last Friday since it would be the elections the following Monday. I couldn't rely and wait for them to notify me. I just called our local post office to confirm.

Lesson learned...although I got lucky twice, it's not worth the risk ordering internationally. Not unless it's not really available locally/Lazada/Shopee, and you're really willing to pay that tax for orders above P10k. This particular phone I ordered saved me P400 when I checked Lazada/Shopee. A few days later after finally ordering in Aliexpress, Shopee had a sale and it was P1K cheaper! Had I gotten taxed for this order,It would have gone way over my budget. Like others has pointed out, that few hundred bucks of saving isn't worth the headache.

As to warranties, I did also had an experience in Aliexpress. The first phone I ordered had some software issues, so I raised it to the seller. I could have fixed it on my own with a simple re-installation of the firmware, but I didn't want to risk bricking a brand new phone. Rather than returning the phone back to Aliexpress, I opted for a partial refund. I first asked the seller for $15 partial refund, I told him it's what the service center is charging form the software re-installation. The seller offered $5, but I declined and threatened I would just file a dispute. I offered they cover $10 and remaining $5 would be at my own expense, but the seller said he'd only pay $7. It was obvious he was low-balling me. I kept on making follow-ups with the seller, but he was ignoring me. I was patient with them since it was during chinese new year. I just accepted the fact that I won't get anything back from the seller, so I took the risk of repairing the software myself and succeeded. I just couldn't accept that the seller kept turning the tables and pointing the blame back at me, like I don't know how to use an android phone, I even sent pictures/videos of the issues. I filed a dispute with Aliexpress and showed them the evidences of the issues. After a few days Aliexpress made a final judgement and gave me $34 partial refund. After accepting the final judgement, the seller kept on contacting me to negotiate, this time sila naman seen zone ko.hahaha

Sorry for the very long post. I do hope future Aliexpress customers would be informed with what they can expect when they order from them. Aliexpress has it's own advantages/disadvantages, you guys can decide.

Netskipper and Aquapods like this.
  3. macmacoy

macmacoy Active Member

If physically possible, can we split the delivery of the items we bought overseas to get around the P10k mark to avoid tax?

4. Juice

Juice PhilMUG Addict Member
    Supporter

Ok, the item did arrive at the maximum time it says 7-15 days. 7th day it got shipped or at least I was informed it was shipped and arrived 15 days later. I was expecting a customs charge but to my surprise, there wasn’t any. It cost 15k.