question on reinstalling OS X

Discussion in 'OS X and OS X Apps' started by vanerz, Jun 10, 2009.

1. vanerz

vanerz Member

Hello everyone. I'm planning to re-install my macbook's OS. I recently, screwed up (or at least I think I did) on one the system folders (see details in http://www.philmug.ph/forum/showthread.php?t=49592 )

What do I need to do to ensure that the following can be used once I've reinstalled?

- applications
    - documents
    - downloaded files
    - iTunes library
    - preferences
    - Firefox bookmarks

Thanks in advance.:)

2. chetiboy

chetiboy Active Member

Maybe this can help?
    http://www.wikihow.com/Reinstall-Mac-OS-X#Archive_and_Install

I haven't tried reinstalling the OS yet, but perhaps the archive and install option is the best route. Regarding bookmarks, you can export them and save them on a back up so u can reload them to your browser of choice.

i hope a mac expert replies and enlightens us with the specifics when it comes to re installing os'es

3. vanerz

vanerz Member

Yup, archive and install is the type of installation that I did. But would I have to manually transfer each file from the "Previous System" folder (the system creates this folder containing all of your previous systems files when archiving and installing)..or can I just simply click and drag the whole folder into my new "Home" folder and everything will just be as they used to be?

Thanks!:)

4. Chito Limson

Chito Limson Unfrozen…
    Staff Member

Nope, you don't have to reinstall everything or anything else after an Archive and Install procedure. Your Previous System folder is a mirror of what's newly installed. In case everything's working as you expect, you may delete the Previous System folder. If you're a past Windows user, that's the equivalent of the windows.old folder.

5. vanerz

vanerz Member

Also, I noticed that there are identical folders in the Macintosh HD's "Library" and the home folder's Library.

The "Previous System" folder created by the reinstall contains a similar folder. To which library do I put the contents of the previous system, the one in Macintosh HD or the one in my home library?

Please enlighten me.:confused:

6. wildcard

wildcard Active Member

They are two different "Libraries" the one in the root is system wide which means that it affects all users, while the one in the home is for your user only.

That is my understanding of the libraries folders. please correct me if I'm wrong

7. vanerz

vanerz Member

I see. So does that mean that I will get that "like it used to be" feel once I'm done with the archiving and installing procedure?

I'm also concerned about my iTunes, will my music library still look the same? So sorry for all these newbie questions.:confused:

8. vanerz

vanerz Member

So would that mean that if I'm the only user, I might as well maintain only the Library in the root just to save on space and to avoid redundancy? Here's what I did after the archiving and installation procedure:

- placed contents of Macintosh HD\Previous System\Previous System 1 to my new Home folder
    - deleted those contents in the Previous System 1 folder that I've already transferred

Will what I did cause any complications? Thanks!

9. wildcard

wildcard Active Member

in my experience with the archive and install procedure, you don't need to do anything with the libraries, they are exactly the same with the Previous System, like soloworx said check your iTunes and see if your music library is still the same after the install

10. juanmarcuz

juanmarcuz Member

For your FIREFOX bookmarks, i use FoxMarks or now Xmarks, it is a Firefox Extension, install it, backup to their server then download the bookmarks later on when your done reinstalling. Also, you can use Xmarks to sync Firefox and Safari for Mac.

Most mac applications like MS Office 2008 can be drag n drop, so you can back up using an external hd and paste it back when your done installing your OS, it will still retain the same user account details.

11. juanmarcuz

juanmarcuz Member

Itunes library.. just backup the entire MUSIC FOLDER, and paste it back when done, to avoid complexities, make sure to use the same iTunes version.

12. vanerz

vanerz Member

Thanks!

I'm encountering some problem when using System Update. When updating my Quicktime (version 7.2.1) to version 7.6.2. When the download finishes, an error message saying:

"The update Quicktime can't be saved. The digital signature for this package is incorrect. The package may have been tampered with or corrupted since being signed by Apple."

*sigh*...I'm thinking of having a fresh system install instead.:confused:

13. vanerz

vanerz Member

What are the essential folders that I need to backup before I perform a reformat procedure on my macbook? I plan to put my essential files in my external hard drive and then transfer them back to my newly formatted hard drive after the installation. I still have the installers of the applications that I used in the older version of my system so installing them won't be a problem (just a bit of a hassle haha!).

From this thread, I've learned that I must backup my Music folder to retain the music library, mobile applications, music downloads, and artworks. Btw, where can I find the files that I've downloaded to upgrade the firmware of my iPhone?

Thanks again!:)