question on macbook purchase

Discussion in 'MacBook Air, MacBook & MacBook Pro' started by juzam01, Mar 24, 2009.

1. juzam01

juzam01 Member

we got a macbook for my girlfriend kanina

the seller told me its brand new so we got it at a reasonable price

it looks new, battery cycle 1, no sign of usage at all

however when we check the warranty it says it expires nov 20 2009

kindly share your knowledge regarding this to shed light to the matter

should i return it to the seller? what should i do?

thanks

2. spartacvs

spartacvs Active Member

If the macbook has apple care then the seller bought it on Nov 20, 2006. If it doesn't have apple care then the seller bought the macbook on Nov 20, 2008. Apple care extends your warranty from 1 year to 3 years from the date of purchase.

3. juzam01

juzam01 Member

its a macbook aluminum he said its brand new it looked brandnew too

4. spartacvs

spartacvs Active Member

MacBook aluminum came out on October 2008 so the seller probably bought it on Nov 2008 as indicated on the warranty which expires on Nov 2009. Don't worry you are covered until Nov 2009, if anything goes wrong later, you can just bring the unit to Apple authorized service center. Also you have until Nov 2009 to buy apple care protection plan to extend your macbook's warranty an additional 2 years thru Nov 2011. :D You won't be able to extend your warranty if you don't purchase appla care protection within 1 year of purchasing the unit.

5. juzam01

juzam01 Member

well, shouldnt the warranty start march 2008?

i bought a macbook unibody the other day and the wrranty started feb21 2008 and ends feb212009

6. spartacvs

spartacvs Active Member

It's because he bought it on Nov 2008 and probably never used it that much. If you enter the serial number of the unit at apple's website and says the warranty will expire on Nov 2009 then the seller bought it on Nov 2008. He said it's brand new probably because he never used the unit at all. That's why there is only 1 cycle count on the battery. You bought this from an individual right and not from a store?

7. ro.gandeza

ro.gandeza Member

You may want to re-check the unit's SN. But if it gives the same response i.e. warranty ends this November 2009, then that unit was bought November 2008. Where did you buy the unit?

8. juzam01

juzam01 Member

he sells macs off tpc

it looked, seemed and even smelled like new

ill try to return it tomorrow if he cant explain the warranty issue. he also said its brand new so i was expecting at least feb 2009 on the warranty

lesson learned - only buy macs from philmuggers

thanks guys

9. spartacvs

spartacvs Active Member

There have been problems with people selling macs from tpc so be careful next time. Try entering the serial number of the unit in the search box to see if it's stolen or not. Try reading this thread to see what I'm talking about. Good Luck

10. pavlos

pavlos Member

the assumption when buying from third party is that the warranty starts when the unit was purchased. so you should've asked for the original receipt where the MB was bought as proof of purchase and ownership as well (plus deed of sale b/w you and third party seller)

anyhow, your girlfriend still got it brandnew, only that the warranty started on the original date of purchase and not yesterday.

well i hope that you got it for a bargain, since i'm pretty sure most of our local resellers can give you a better price match close to that of US pricing plus freebies pa.

#10 pavlos, Mar 24, 2009
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2009
  11. jappy

jappy Member

another possible reason is that the unit was registered to apple on november.

got my unit around november as well.
    it is also a pre-owned, almost bnew unit.
    but i registered it with apple around january already.
    thus my warranty ends jan 2010.
    when i got the applecare, i thought it would revert back to nov, but last time i checked it is janurary 2012.

not sure if this is the reason why your units warranty is until november 2009.
    you can always get apple care for the extra 2 years peace of mind.

12. spartacvs

spartacvs Active Member

I thought the warranty ends on the one year anniversary of the date of purchase and it doesn't matter if you register the unit months later. This is confusing! :p

13. pepper

pepper Member

buy from authorized resellers. only then you can be sure. :)

14. Tecson

Tecson Member

why would you want to expect it to be Feb 2009, when Nov 2009 is better??

for me, when buying from 3rd party or authorise reseller is the same, try to inspect the merchandise on the spot, if its new like you said, he must have a good reason for selling it to you on a good price, warranty or not is secondary, I for one dont want my new Mac to be "repaired" before his 1st bday. with regards to the Nov 2009 expiration , its normal, im sure a lot of us are with the Nov deadline, except when u bought Apple care.

unless you are really OC, or the price is really a good deal dont buy from 3rd party.

15. juzam01

juzam01 Member

february 2010 is better than november 2009

16. juzam01

juzam01 Member

were trying to contact the seller as we speak. this morning his cell was off now its just ringing

17. yahoomarco

yahoomarco Member

you should have checked every thing before purchasing the item. specially its not brand new.

and buying from people may they be philmuggers or not doesnt make a diff. its you who's buying the item. be careful the next time. i hope you get the warranty with the item.

18. ijingo

ijingo Active Member

Why do you expect the warranty should be Feb 2009 well in fact the warranty Nov 2009 pa. The above replies i think should be correct. Also, it means the unit has not been extended yet thru Apple Care Protection Plan.

19. rockophoria

rockophoria Active Member

I think what juzam01 wants is a clarification since the seller said it was "new" so juzam01 is expecting the warranty to be "1 year" but ends up getting 3 months short..

20. carlodude

carlodude Member

"The reasonable price" offer equates to the 9 months warranty period. Three months less if you got it from an authorized reseller.

You can't expect it to be brand new if you bought it second hand or "slightly used."