question on Mac OS X Update Combined

Discussion in 'OS X and OS X Apps' started by macpinas, Jul 23, 2006.

1. macpinas

macpinas Member

Hi anyone and everyone!

I tried downloading the Mac OS X update Combined. After 11 hours of being online (my connection is sooooo slow!), it said that there was an error! This was my first time to use the software update and am doing this because i wanted to install the iLife '06. It is mentioned in the instructions that before installing iLife, I should make sure that I have updated all the necessary softwares ... but i am finding this difficult! ( i am now downloading the latest version of Quicktime and i hope this time it will work!)...

my question is : can i install iLife without updating the softwares?

will there be errors without the updates?

help please!

Thanks!

Jen

tried to find a thread on the subject but i was not successful...

2. ditoy_eagle

ditoy_eagle Well-Known Member

iLife (or most Apple software) won't install without the required OS version. I suggest you go to a wi-fi place and download from there if your own connection is slow.

3. elbert

elbert Active Member

Actually, iLife '06 requires Mac OS X 10.3.9 or 10.4.3 or later, with 10.4.4 recommended. It also requires iTunes 6.0.2 and QuickTime 7.0.4.

You can try installing iLife '06. It will alert you if you don't meet the requirements anyway. If it installs, then good.

After you install, you'll need to update the iLife components as well. So, like Ditoy suggested, go to a WiFi hotspot and do your updating there if you have a really slow connection.

4. macpinas

macpinas Member

Ok... i will try do that... connect via wifi. Thanks!

for update, as I mentioned in my previous post, i was trying to update quicktime (my version is lower than the required 7.0.4), and what appeared after an hour was :

< The update "QuickTime" can't be installed/
    A networking error has occured:
    Error NSURLErrorDomain - 1995 (-1005). Make sure you
    can connect to the Internet, then try again. >

But the internet was still connected... do you know what the message meant?

5. elbert

elbert Active Member

It probably means your network connection is unstable. You really need broadband for software updates anyway.

6. minimig

minimig Member

Hello,

Use the Download Only option in the Update menu of Software Update. That way you have all the packages with you and you can do the actual install later. and should there be a need to reinstall the OS (highly unlikely, but jic) you have the files needed already.

7. elbert

elbert Active Member

That's actually a good suggestion, but the drawback is that it eats up HDD space. I have all the updates using the above method, but I store them in an external. Saves a great deal of time when I'm updating my clients' computers.

8. minimig

minimig Member

Yes, I forgot to say... get yourself an external hard drive. ;-)

Preferably with firewire and usb. Although usb is 480Mbps vs 400Mbps firewire; firewire has a faster sustained speed, good for transferring large files or backing up the main hard drive.

Always back up you hard drive, if not the whole thing then just your important stuff - like your Home directory.

9. chipw

chipw Guest

i think you have a server timeout problem.