Question on Adobe Creative Suit 2

Discussion in 'OS X and OS X Apps' started by p3rsmag, Jun 16, 2005.

1. p3rsmag

p3rsmag Guest

Im really interested in this new Adobe release, too bad i wasn't able to attend it's launching a while ago.

My question is will Adobe CS2 run on my iBook G4 1.2 Ghz, 256mb?

It says on their website system requirements:
    384MB of RAM to run any one creative application with Adobe Bridge and Version Cue Workspace

I don't really know what Bridge and Version Cue Workspace are, i won't mind if i can't use these 2 --really just want to use Illustrator and Photoshop.

So should i go and get CS2? or should i hold up and buy RAM first? if i can't get RAM now, can i still install the software?

2. chairman

chairman Moderator
    Staff Member

I think 256mb will not be enough for CS 2. If it states in the web site 384MB RAM it's there for a good reason. Especially since you're using it on an ibook and that has a slower hard drive, etc..

As for Bridge, this replaces the old file browser and adds several other functions. It also connects to adobe's stock photo services, help, etc...

Version Cue is a versioning system. This is used mostly by agencies and multiple people collaborating on a project. It's also used to manage different versions of the same project.

You can live without this really, but it does help.

3. p3rsmag

p3rsmag Guest

thanks chairman.. i guess ill be getting the RAM first before getting that CD!

anyone here got to attend the Adobe CS2 launch in Greenbelt?

4. Dinkydoo

Dinkydoo Member

hi p3rsmag, chairman is correct. The Adobe Creative Suite2 will not install in your machine if you only have 256MB. It just happened to me when i tried to transfer the license to an iBook G4 running 256MB ram. Installation detected the system and prompted the minimum requirements needed.

A word of caution. I find it very annoying that Illustrator CS2 is not fully backward compatible. Since CS2 uses a different font engine that the older Ai versions do not use, converting the CS2 to lower versions create the fonts to become point type or broken into separate letters.

Photoshop is sweet. Indesign is also not fully backward compatible. For the version cue and bridge, chairman is correct again.

Better upgrade your system and enjoy your existing Illustrator.

5. Maverick

Maverick Active Member

just got CS2 a while back...

I just love editing RAW files now thanks to CS2.
    Love the healing effect too... removes blemishes with ease... hehehe

6. elbert

elbert Active Member

There was a launching a while ago?

7. p3rsmag

p3rsmag Guest

Thanks, i don't have Photoshop & Illustrator on my iBook yet, i do have those on my Windows PC, you think ill have trouble opening my saved image files edited on my PC on my Mac?

8. p3rsmag

p3rsmag Guest

Adobe Creative Suit 2 Seminar
    Thursday 14 Jul 2005 09:00 - 17:00
    Onstage, Greenbelt 1

...and uunahan na kita, pardon me for calling the seminar a launch :eek: i know what you're driving at naman eh, since you are the thread starter on this particular event you should at least know what am talking about :sleep: So why play INNOCENT? i correct mo na ako agad if that makes you happy

you're the expert and am not. Everybody here knows that so No need to point that out.

Am tired of you bashing on every post that i make. To you everything has to be technical and you won't let an innocent mistake pass. Even my post on recent purchases, kailangan mong humirit.

Dude i have no beef against you cos i don't know who you are. I respect your posts/comments etc, i think you should respect mine too even if am just a newbie

9. Maverick

Maverick Active Member

easy buddy... puso mo... ;)

[Edited on 6-17-2005 by Maverick]

10. opd

opd Active Member
    Supporter

JULY? And relax, dude... calm down

11. jp

jp Guest

elbertc, I think you are mistaking this for the upcoming Onstage event. This one probably had a fashion show. 'Creative Suit' :)

JP

12. p3rsmag

p3rsmag Guest

im cool :cool:

seriously, you guys should cut some slack..
    "walang namamamatay sa wrong post..."

anyway i just had to let it out. 'nuff about this i guess ill just see you guys there at the event, by that time i would have bought me self some RAM & Adobe CS2 :)

13. freelancer

freelancer Active Member

Dude, I'm going to do you a favor. It's Creative "Suite". And don't you take that tone with me, young man. Teacher ako. :)

14. p3rsmag

p3rsmag Guest

ahh.. so it's suite, not suit..

now i know :yes:

thank you for emlightening me.

oops parang may wrong speeling ulit ako. :)

15. vicicasas

vicicasas Active Member

I think you definitely should upgrade your RAM whether or not you decide to buy CS2. 256MB just isn't enough to maximize the potential of your iBook, and bumping it up to 512MB or even maxing it out will make you feel like you upgraded to a new computer, and you'll feel the difference in everyday use, not just in CS2!

16. chairman

chairman Moderator
    Staff Member

p3rsmag, easy dude. i don't think elbert meant to criticize your post or anything close to that. My guess is that he was surpsrised to know that there was a launching on june 14, since the schedule says july 14. He just wanted to find out if he missed something.

@dinkydoo, you're right, Illustrator isn't that backward compatible and that's really disappointing. I found it out the hard way. I saved a CS 2 file to AI 9 to send it to the printers. I had to make corrections so i thought i'd do it on the AI 9 direct only to find out that the fonts have been separated into layers. bad trip.... Isa pa, it keeps creating .tmp files. Ang dami na!!!!! I have a smart folder dedicated to compiling temp files so i can delete. tsk, tsk, tsk.

Photoshop rocks though!

17. pengski

pengski Active Member

Illustrator: saving it to a lower version will surely cause problems. You could try exporting it.... why do you have to downgrade it? can't you just give them the .pdf file?
    It's one way of telling us not to use the lower
    version and buy the new version. :mad:

18. rhoen

rhoen Member

I agree with you,Pengski

:yes: musta na, bro?

19. Dinkydoo

Dinkydoo Member

pengski, if you are dealing with output centres that still use Ai 8, 9 or 10, i will not recommend buying CS2 to ensure integrity of your files. Also, too bad exporting does not give you an option for a PDF format. "Save As " and "Save" do. And the problem with it, even if the file has been saved as PDF, opening it in Ai lower version will still prompt a message that the PDF file has been created using a newer version. Opening it anyhow will still create the same problems.

chairman, i share you sentiments and annoyance on the temp files and it eats up space too. So normally, i don't bother opening the temp files. I just put them in the bin. Of course as long as i know my original file/s are saved.

So RAM it will be for you p3rsmag!

20. elbert

elbert Active Member

FYI, I have sent my reply to p3rsmag's most insolent post directly to him via U2U.