Question about Transfer of iMac to Mac Pro

Discussion in 'iMac' started by VicB, May 25, 2011.

1. VicB

VicB PhilMUG Addict Member

Need some advice on moving our data on an iMac to a Mac Pro.

Our iMac has served as the main office computer. We've now upgraded to a Mac Pro. We've cloned the HDD of the iMac & want to transfer it to the Mac Pro. If we clone the iMac HDD to the Mac Pro, how do we install the drivers meant for the Mac Pro?

As an example, the iMac had a GeForce video card while the Mac Pro has an ATI video card.

Any advice or comments would be appreciated. TIA.

2. chizbol

chizbol Member

Best to use migration assistant instead of cloning the hd. Cloning is best if you want to replace the hd on your imac to a bigger one. As you said, you might experience driver issues. Although all the drivers you need are self contained in the system. Even if you clone it you will still be able to make it run. BUT, migration assistant is still your best option. If you want your system to be the same.

If I were you. I would just start fresh so that any corrupted file/app would not transfer onto the new mac

3. MacSonic 779

MacSonic 779 Member

I would also recommend starting fresh rather than cloning.

4. rflores

rflores Well-Known Member

i believe there is an option in migration to not copy the system settings. do that, so any issues wont get transferred.

5. Sabonis

Sabonis Active Member

When you do migrate your data, use a LAN cable. I tried this option and was very satisfied with the speed the data was transferred. I have around 130GB worht of data.

I have read here that someone used the bluetooth option and it took forever.

HTH!

6. WaZ_

WaZ_ Member

i agree , bluetooth is really very slow as compared to lan cable data transfer

7. rbenzon

rbenzon Super
    Staff Member

migrated my imac to my mac pro using a firewire cable and migration assistant, which is smart enough to know that you're not transferring to another imac, hence, will only keep relevant settings. it's about as easy as it gets. try doing that between PCs. :p

8. VicB

Thanks guys for your comments & saving me some grief. I haven't tried Migration Assistant before but I'll give it a go. The Apple Support website shows how to use it.

Thanks again!

9. MacSonic 779

MacSonic 779 Member

Welcome VicB. Hope your enjoying and having fun with your new MacPro.

10. VicB

Thanks MacSonic. We're doing the transfer on Sunday & hope everything is running by Monday, office time.

Thanks again for all your suggestions, fellow Muggers!!