question about magsafe

Discussion in 'MacBook Air, MacBook & MacBook Pro' started by einjhel, Jan 31, 2009.

1. einjhel

einjhel Member

hi, i have been using my macbook pro for sometime now, and ok naman, but something slightly unusual happened kanina, yung charger (magsafe) is nakagreen na , so it is already charged, so, i'm just watching videos, then i noticed na the charger indicator wala ng light na green, and then i look at the computer, and nakabattery power na siya,i tried to disconnect the charger and connect it and its ok na uli hanggang ngayon, nothing unusual na. it's the first time that has happened, i'm sure na masikip at ok pa yung power socket, so i'm a bit worried na there's something wrong,

it's just once lang that it happened so i don't know how i will tell the apple service center the problem if i went there...

2. rdy0329

rdy0329 PhilMUG Addict Member

Ganun din nangyayari sa akin, it will become frequent na, don't worry, I think there is a problem with the light itself, the charging of your MacBook is still the same.

3. Odysseus

Odysseus Active Member

I think there was a software update regarding the magsafe. It was supposed to correct charging indicator.

4. pepper

pepper Member

magsafe really has issues. i had mine checked by powermac coz it stopped charging. i was told by my friend that magsafe is a usual problem of mac users. good thing, mine is still under warranty. powermac replaced it. :)

5. einjhel

einjhel Member

hi guys, thanks for the reply. do you think that i should bring this to the apple service center or should i just observe pa, i want to bring this sana to the service center but baka pag punta ko dun, hindi naman magloko, since once pa lang nangyayari? baka hindi naman nila ako paniwalaan or something?

6. Elx200001

Elx200001 Active Member

I had a similar problem before but I didn't really think too much of it. It didn't affect anything so I just brushed it off as a bug. But since I had my battery replaced it hasn't happened again. Just try and observe it for a while to see if it does give you any problems. But unless you're at the end of your mbp's applecare coverage then go to the service center asap.

7. einjhel

einjhel Member

hi thanks for the reply. i guess i will wait and see if it happens again, anyway my apple care will expire july 2010 pa. thanks so much

8. xai

xai Member

that happened to me also. 100% charged but no green light. what i did was disconnect and connect the charger.. then green light lights.. you think it is safe doing it frequently?

9. busrider

busrider Member

sorry to ask but is it safe not to unplug the magsafe even if the battery is fully charged and the indicator light is green?

10. pepper

pepper Member

hi busrider! it is totally fine to leave the magsafe when your battery is at 100%. actually, it is better coz by doing so, your macbook does not make use of your battery. just do a monthly calibration. i always have my magsafe plugged when i'm using my macbook. :)

11. bhoyetjumpay

bhoyetjumpay Well-Known Member

i always plugged my magsafe when i'm using my macbook. the only time i unplugged it when may mac is on sleep mode. pepper is right, when it is plugged, the power source is came from magsafe, not on the battery, it will saves your battery power and cycle count.

12. Abet Arcenas

Abet Arcenas Member

Better have your magsafe checked out. The magsafe of my MBP started with those symptoms and progressed to dimming of green light or orange light when charging or fully charged. It seems the wiring of the inside magsafe that connects to the MBP was fraying which resulted in the light dimming. Brought my magsafe back to applecare and was sent to Apple singapore and after a week I got a new magsafe charger for my MBP.

13. randyrivera

randyrivera Active Member

but make sure to cycle the battery once in a while, the instruction is at apple's website

14. madmax168

madmax168 Active Member

My magsafe adapter died and I took it apart just to see whats wrong and get a peek inside... this is what I saw... nothing spectacular about it though... just thought I'd share it.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

15. einjhel

einjhel Member

hi po, thanks for the reply.. gusto ko nga po sana dalhin sa senco link din ito, but i don't know what to say to them, na baka if they check e ok naman at wala makita since once lang nangyari sakin? can they tell po ba sa loob if may damage na yung adaptor even if nagsstart pa lang yung symptoms?