Quality of iTunes downloads

Discussion in 'OS X and OS X Apps' started by ako_si_Mac, Jan 14, 2010.

1. ako_si_Mac

ako_si_Mac Member

I'm choosing between importing audio CDs and buying music from iTunes. I want the best audio quality. If those CDs are available here, I will just buy them here. But those CDs are rare. iTunes have them, but is the quality okay? Like what's the bit rate? Are songs from iTunes lossless?

2. Macmon

Macmon Well-Known Member

The ones in itunes are compressed format music, aac, so technically the quality is lower than your standard audio CD.

3. himuramaki

himuramaki Member

I believe with the recent update of iTunes Store, iTunes format for their songs are all @ 256kbps iTunes Plus compression.. not bad if your going to listen via your portables. But if you're an audiophile, CDs the way to go to listen exactly how the artist recorded the songs bit by bit.

4. jps444

jps444 Active Member

CDs if you have a decent sound system and if you're an audiophile. if just an average listener then the itunes download will do.

5. Chito Limson

Chito Limson Unfrozen…
    Staff Member

Your second statement says it all: "I want the best audio quality." Go for CDs, no doubt about it (although people in love with vinyls [LPs] like rbenzon will burn me at the stake for saying this, ha ha!).

Rare CDs? Go online or eBay for out-of-print releases. I myself have been able to track down rare copies in super-large or the small obscure record bars in my travels abroad. Tokyo, for me, is one of the best sources of rare pressings. Reason: most stores buy their inventory and are not on consignment basis from record companies. So if the title doesn't sell, there's a great chance they still have it on their shelves.

6. Cake

Cake Member

The fact that you're considering importing CDs means you really like the music. Apart from the obvious benefit of having the best quality, having the physical CD is hugely satisfying. Especially for rare albums. I advise you to buy the CDs instead.

What I do is have them delivered to a fried or relative and get them mailed to me in bulk to save on mailing costs. If you don't know anyone from the country of origin, the vendor most probably has discounts if you purchase multiple items and have them shipped together. Either way you choose, it's better to take the best shipping option. You've splurged anyway so there's no point on scrimping on shipping and possibly have your items damaged or lost.

7. seahaven

seahaven Member

hi , my sister has an US acct and downloaded tons of songs thru his iphone 4, i wonder can i redownload it on my ip4 without being charged again?

8. p.pipster

p.pipster PhilMUG Addict Member

Not possible. If you download the same songs, even using the same acct, on a different device (phone, ipod, mac) you would have to purchase it again.

If both your phones are synced to the same mac (or PC), just have the purchased items transferred over to the computer. And then sync the songs to your phone by syncing your phone to the computer.

Let us know if you need help with that.

And to stay on topic, iTunes downloads' audio quality are OK for me. I love music but I don't classify myself as an audiophile. And really CDs and vinyl are really hard to find and I'd advise you only do that if you buy music only once every month or so. If you're like me that burns through music really fast and likes to listen to new tunes every other day, iTunes is the way to go.

#8 p.pipster, Jan 30, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2011