Pwn2Own 2009: Safari/MacBook falls in seconds

Discussion in 'OS X and OS X Apps' started by Primo, Mar 19, 2009.

1. Primo

Primo Member

Here's the article. This was a fully patched Macbook running current software and new security patches. A follow-up article also showed that one security expert managed to hack IE8 and Firefox (using a zero day exploit) on Windows, however it happened later in the day. Here are the results from the event.

Note that the Safari export works by a person clicking a link, per the rules of the contest no application was downloaded or ran on OS X, just the simple act of clicking a link allows remote control of OS X.

This is the 3rd year in a row that OS X was the first to fail in security because of Safari exploits. Windows Vista running IE8 and Firefox was only hacked because of an Adobe Flash exploit. Ubuntu remained unscathed...

Safest route would be to run Firefox on OS X and to NOT run in an Admin account. Interesting isn't it?

2. viral_variance

that's why it always pays to practice OS hardening and best security practices.

no OS is safe, not even a mac.

3. suavecito

suavecito PhilMUG Addict Member

That's why i have been using Firefox since last year.

4. PaoSison

PaoSison Member

Mac Shot First: 10 Reasons Why CanSecWest Targets Apple

The article from RoughlyDrafted.com that features backstories and motives on Apple's misrepresentation on their software security.

Below are a few points:

1. Exploits discovered for the Mac have little other value outside of contests like CanSecWest.

2. The CanSecWest contest clearly appears intent to transfer the security focus belaboring Windows to other platforms.

3. The contest prominently focused attention on the brand name of the MacBook Air

Continue to read the article for more details...

5. extremeshot

extremeshot PhilMUG Addict Member

Regardless, I still avoid Safari as much as I can. Firefox for me.

6. Salaryman Ryan

Salaryman Ryan PhilMUG Addict Member

Isn't it contest rules saying that what you hack you get?

If I was the hacker I would rather have the nicer and more expensive Macbook then the windows/linux laptops ;)