PSA: ₽1,500 iPhone battery replacement ends December 31

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPod Touch' started by tweek, Nov 14, 2018.

1. abielbad

abielbad Active Member

Sir could I know the branch? Planning to have my 6s battery replaced but I’m trying to find a service center that could replace it within the day

2. denpacs

denpacs PhilMUG Addict Member

That’s iStore Ayala Centrio Cagayan de Oro. Not sure if they have stocks for the 6s. AFAIK, they still have 3 more batteries left for the 7+. (y)

3. bowman60

bowman60 Active Member

What was your battery health? I have an iPhone X that has an 88% battery that I brought there for replacement but was advised that they only replace if it’s in the low 80s. And what’s the wait time? Thanks!

4. tweek

tweek Active Member

Where in Cebu can the P1,500 iPhone battery replacement be done?​

5. denpacs

denpacs PhilMUG Addict Member

Try iStore in SM CIty or Ayala Center.
    Ask them if they have available batteries on hand for your iPhone model so you can get your phone within the day. (y)

tweek likes this.
  6. testdummy

testdummy Active Member

I wasn't able to check the battery health. It was an old iPhone 6s that I was using as a spare. I dropped it off on a Monday and went back for it after 5 days. I was busy that week so I had no chance to follow it up til then.

bowman60 likes this.
  7. tweek

tweek Active Member

Where in Davao can the P1,500 iPhone battery replacement be done?​

8. Aargh

Aargh Well-Known Member

I believe there is a Power Mac Center in Abreeza.

9. ice

ice PhilMUG Addict Member

my iPhone 6S was not accepted for battery replacement...

It was having audio problems where the device is always on headphones mode...

10. JMacalinao

JMacalinao Active Member

Mine's even worse... My 6S wasn't accepted for battery replacement because it was randomly shutting down. The kicker is that the 6S is known to have this issue and to fix it, you need to have the battery replaced. But nooooo... They said, unless they can run their diagnostics on it, they can't replace the battery. All I can do is face-palm. (n)

So off to Greenhills I go. Haha

11. iAmMichael05

iAmMichael05 Member

I was able to claim a free battery replacement for iPhone 6S when I showed this link to them: https://www.apple.com/support/iphone6s-unexpectedshutdown/

12. JMacalinao

JMacalinao Active Member

I actually mentioned and showed that exact page to them; no go. This was at Power Mac SM Megamall.

I'll try to claim it at BTB, maybe I'll have better luck there.

13. rnav18

rnav18 Active Member

You can try to schedule a call with Apple Support first and the CSR can try to schedule for you or advise you to walk-in.

14. donski

donski Member

Hi guys. Need your opinion. My iPhone X is just 7 months (acquired May 5) and battery health dropped to 91% after updating to recent iOS update. Am a heavy user as you can see in the photo my average usage is 6 hrs 24 mins. Should I be worried? Do I need to avail the 1.5K battery replacement? Normal usage is LTE always on, location always on, Bluetooth (when driving but now am on vacation), Spotify, Waze, Netflix. I use power bank sometimes only. Main charger is the original apple charger, I usually charge at night from 12am to 6am since 4 hrs charging time. I charge once a day only with low power mode always activated. I rarely charge twice in a day (only when I use the phone for gaming). I charge at 5% up to 100% (I know the 80% rule but it’s a hassle to charge often). Thanks.

Attached Files:

15. rdy0329

rdy0329 PhilMUG Addict Member

Short answer? No.
    But, you can if you insist on it. They can't say no.

Long Answer: Depends. Normal wear is 20% over two years. Looks like you're right on track. Powerbank charges your phone faster (hotter) which explains why battery degradation is faster than usual. Try using the bundled charger if you can, avoid getting it hot. People who uses the included charger only and charges once a day reports ~95% battery health around this time.

@91%, I guess you can gain additional 30-45 mins of batt life if you have it replaced, though you'll be at the same predicament this time next year.

@70-80% battery health is when it starts to get annoying, less batt life, slowdowns, and random shutdowns might occur.

Also, have it replaced in countries with official Apple Store Presence (HK/SG/TW/TH) and get it within 2-3hrs. Otherwise, BTB and PMC is quoting 2-3 weeks wait for parts availability.

I had my iPhone X's battery (88%) replaced in Apple Bangkok, and my unit was eligible for the display replacement program (free) took 2 hours. Two birds, one stone, less waiting. Damage: THB1,000 (~P1,630) for the Battery ONLY.

#55 rdy0329, Dec 13, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 13, 2018
    donski likes this.
  16. donski

donski Member

Wow, thank you for the thorough reply.

I can’t hardly tell that it is indeed deteriorating as for the performance, it’s been the same. It’s just that I’m bothered every time I check the battery health.

I use power bank sometimes only if there’s really a need, since I charge it at night, my phone is good to last for the whole day. Main charger is the one included. Guess I’m just a heavy user after all.

Another thing, I upgrade every two years during my re-contract with Globe. I fear for the low resale value because of that. And two years would be on May 2020.

#56 donski, Dec 13, 2018
  17. rdy0329

That’s the downside of having battery health. Another data point for prospective buyers to look at. If you plan on using it for another year, then go ahead with the replacement. It’s better to sell it at 90% than 80%.

Usually, you’ll notice degraded battery life. For my case, I could get to 4PM with 20% battery life at the end of the day. Before battery replacement, 20% warning pops up at around 2PM. That’s with mixed heavy usage.

donski likes this.
  18. ratburn

ratburn Member

went to PMC in SM North Annex, they couldn't replace the battery of my iPhone 7 plus because they said it was already a mother board problem. My iPhone was shutting down on it's own. They can only replace it but I have to pay 26k+. just gonna go to greenhills for it. Also the girl who assisted me said that the battery health should be at 79% for them to replace it. Are there other places that will change it if the battery health is at 80+%? Thank you.

19. raypin

raypin PhilMUG Addict Member

Mm...battery health is not a big deal as far as resale value is concerned. Good resale value for a year or less. Anything above that and expect to take a huge hit on resale. Also, phones are commodities. There is no rarity or novelty anymore. Resale value depends on just how many of the sane type or model are available in the secondary market.

Example: if you go to Greenhills, the trade-in value (or resale value) depends on how many pre-owned units there are of the same phone and model as yours at that time. It does not matter if your unit still has 99% battery health or in mint condition.

I ve traded-in many pre-owned gadgets in Greenhills for several decades now and not once did any of them ask me about battery health (how’s the battery?). They are more concerned with the physical appearance, the model and model year (or age of the gadget), boxes and accessories and, of course, your asking price. If the stall owner is loaded with similar, they will lowball you.

Latest example: my 11 month old iPhone X 64 GB with 99% battery health. The dealer did not check battery health. I got what I wanted for it because it was still relatively new (X introduced in 2017). Trade-in was php 38k last Sept 21, bnew X 64 GB as of now, around 42k php.

My two-year old iPad Pro 12.9 fared a lot worse. Less than what I was asking.

Point is age of gadget and supply of similar gadgets is the secondary market are much more important than battery health, for resale purpose.

For 3 year old phones, expect to take a 50% hit on resale value.

#59 raypin, Dec 13, 2018
    donski likes this.
  20. rdy0329

I'm actually speaking from a buyer's standpoint. I'd make sure to check out battery health when getting a second hand model (because I have to deal with it sooner rather than later). Degraded batteries during trade ins and swaps in GH isn't important because, what's P800-1000 worth of battery replacement part if you can sell a phone at a higher markup (GH Refurbished units) than when you got it.