Proper Care of Unibody Macbook

Discussion in 'MacBook Air, MacBook & MacBook Pro' started by arnel13, Nov 7, 2008.

1. arnel13

arnel13 Member

I already mentioned this on one thread, I still have lingering doubts in my mind if the unibody MB and MBP are really as high-maintenance as the older ones. I really hate how it would look with all those protectors, sort of ruins the whole point of its industrial design.

I ask myself these:

1. Does the finish (it's metal paint right?) ever chip off, fade or get ruined by long-term palm/wrist friction, oils from hands, sweat, heat and humidity, etc? I wouldn't be surprised by wrist watch scratching it, but I mean normal, careful use only.

2. Also the keyboard on the new MBP is of a much smoother, seemingly much less porous material. My unibody MB doesn't keep oils. I just use cloth to wipe out oils on my unibody MB and there's no oils left.

3. The glass trackpad, same question as #1. Will the paint go off? Based on the smoooooth friction coefficient alone, it seems normal use won't do harm, and there is no matte finish on the trackpad, unlike on the old one, that will eventually turn into shiny smooth with constant rubbing.

4. Then the glass screen. It's hard material, unlike the bare screen of the old MB, and essentially scratch-proof. Only problem is finger prints. But the included cleaning cloth is very effective, my screen is always shiny as new. Glass is soooo much easier to clean.

So to me that eliminates screen protectors, keyboard skins, wristpad skins, trackpad skins. Whatever else skins out there, they all seem unnecessary. Or am I missing something? As much as I want to maintain my MB to look like new always, I just like how it looks and feel BARE.

2. weirdohenrico

weirdohenrico Member

I am with you arnel13. I want to keep mine BARE.

3. bluedragonph

bluedragonph Active Member

I'd go with minimal accessories except for the keyboards. I just feel that there's too much space between the keys thus the need for keyboard protection :)

4. imabs

imabs Active Member

Proper care would mean being super extra careful in handling and being aware of not to wear wrist watches and the likes that would create scratches over the palm rest of the laptop.

to keep it from dust and other dirts, it's fine to have a keypad shield.
    and of course, a sleeve.

5. ice_man

ice_man Active Member

We would have no definite answer for this, yet. Since the Unibodies just came out recently and is fairly new. Give it at least 3-6 months.

I'd still stick to my old habit of putting protection on mine. wouldn't hurt me if I did.

I really can't control other people using my Macbook, and thats one reason why I need to put protection on it. Especially the palm reest. You can't tell a client to remove his/her wristwatch because they wanted to try your mac.

Besidess, the moshi palm guards are great. It's like you never know it's there since it also uses the same finish of the palm rest. Feels and look like aluminum.

I don't want to constanly wipe my screen especially on public places, makes me look like an OC. Which I admit I am. So, my solution for this is putting a screen protector.

Then there comes dust seeping under the keys on the KB when Im working outside. The silicone protector solves that problem for me.

So again, to each his own... :)

6. antz

antz Active Member

I just use capdase key saver and out of the box, i already used iKlear.

iKlear is what I use at least twice a month on all my gadgets.

"alagang iKlear"

7. amg99

amg99 Active Member

@ice_man

Just quick questions where do you get:

1. moshi palm guard
    2. screen protector and what brand is the best for you
    3. and of course, keyboard protector

TIA!

8. imabs

imabs Active Member

any apple notebooks need extra protection especially when you are using it during on location shoot or client presentation to protect from spills, dust and spits. hehehe.

whether it's a powerbook, macbooks or unibody macbooks, still needs shielding.

9. ice_man

ice_man Active Member

Online Shopping. hehehe

screen protector - capdase
    KB - iSkin.

10. arnel13

arnel13 Member

This just shows that we Mac users really care about our laptops, possibly much more than PC laptop owners do.

Macbooks are really special things that we value a lot, and so however people perceive that, OC or otherwise, I see now the point why there are circumstances that make protectors really necessary.

I just never realized this immediately, coz luckily my work doesn't require me to expose the Macbook to potential harms. :D

11. ice_man

ice_man Active Member

yup. It really varies on how we use our Macs.

I, on the other hand that's always in the field need this protections to preserve the look of my Mbp and Mb.

I have an iMac at home, and has no protection whatsoever. Except for the occassional dust cover when the iMac is not in use. ;)

12. Salaryman Ryan

Salaryman Ryan PhilMUG Addict Member

On another note. Regarding the MacBook Pro, even if Apple claims the chassis is much more sturdy, don't try to pick it up on the side with only one hand: (in fact you shouldn't do this with any notebook)

http://www.xlr8yourmac.com/index.html#S24863

13. ice_man

ice_man Active Member

I'd like to believe this, but Im really in doubt. I tried pressing on my notebook's ethernet port see if it bends slightly, but it doesn't. Seems solid to me.

And judging by the look on the port how it bent, I'd pretty much think that its been altered.

But, if anyone surfaces with the same problem then I think its safe to say that it does bend.

14. bennette

bennette Member

isn't aluminum easier to bend as compared to stainless steel or the usual steel? or it depends on "how much" of an aluminum there is in the aluminum?

15. Salaryman Ryan

Salaryman Ryan PhilMUG Addict Member

Considering the Macbook Pro is relatively heavy. I say, it might be possible. Besides I would never lift a heavy notebook by its corner with a single hand. I would use both hands.

16. arnel13

arnel13 Member

To me that photo looks suspicious. I have several audio equipment (small mixers, interfaces, mic amps) that are aluminum. And the aluminum is much thinner than the Macbook's. I carry them without much care, thinking the aluminum case is resilient, and it is!

You can dent aluminum easily, scratch it as easily, but PERMANENTLY bending it probably takes much more effort. I've never bent any aluminum equipment I use (and I use them heavily and lug them around all the time). I think aluminum is soft and it does bend, but it seems flexible enough to get back to original form, so the bending is temporary. I'm not an industrial engineer, so these are purely based on observation and experience with aluminum equipment.

But of course, due to the weight of a Macbook (or MBP), I would NEVER carry it with one hand by its edge with the lid open. The center of gravity in that situation makes it prone to dropping, in which case it being bendable or not becomes moot.

#16 arnel13, Nov 9, 2008
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2008
  17. 180er

180er New Member

Aluminum is bendable but with the help of a tool. I too do not think that pressing with the use of fingers can bend the Macbook.

18. jeyps11_c

jeyps11_c Member

ice - anong site meron? wala pa kahit saang apple store sa atin na screen protector for the new MB eh. dami na smudges ng display ko. madali lang naman siya linisin pero as much as possible I want to keep it pristine clean :):):)

19. ice_man

ice_man Active Member

no screen protector for the new unibody yet. Im still waiting for it. I used a capdase Matte Screen Protector before.

It helps eliminate most of the smudges.

20. jeyps11_c

jeyps11_c Member

Did it fit perfectly? I tried the old macbook screen protectors and it covers the viewable screen area but not the black background (in short not the entire screen) :(