Problems when emptying Trash from my external drive

Discussion in 'OS X and OS X Apps' started by ivebeenmugged, Sep 18, 2009.

1. ivebeenmugged

ivebeenmugged Member

Been trying to delete some files in my external drive. I'm on my 3rd day already. I have over a million files in it, in several folders created by Time Machine. I was able to make it work for a while, but takes forever since it defaults to Secure Empty. The problem now is, when I try to continue it, after the "Preparing to empty Trash..." prompt, the window just disappears and nothing happens. It's like it just stopped doing its task without any alerts to the problem. I've tried repairing the disk, restarting my unit and disconnecting the drive several times.

Has someone encountered this before? And how did you fix this?

2. raze94

raze94 Member

i have this exact problem with mine. the files i tried deleting were created on a vista machine and i cant seem to delete it. every time i empty the trash those files remain.

3. rafaelc378

rafaelc378 Active Member

Try to delete the files on the computer they were connected to when they were trashed.

4. raze94

raze94 Member

i cant do that since the computer was sold already. i think the only thing i can do its copy all the important files on my mac and reformat the HD. thanks!

5. Shinrai

Shinrai Guest

6. PatrickGaerlan

PatrickGaerlan Super Moderator
    Staff Member

If you have access to a Mac running Snow Leopard, you might be able to empty the Trash without reformatting.

I had the exact same problem as you, when I was still on Leopard, I couldn't completely empty the Trash because of files from a Windows PC. I tried a lot of different things (Terminal, empty Trash apps, etc.), but none worked. Then, after upgrading to SL, I tried to empty the Trash and it just popped up a message that some files were locked and it asked me if I really wanted them deleted. I answered 'Yes' and SL proceeded to empty the Trash completely.

7. Mad Mac

Mad Mac Active Member

I noticed that too. It is easier to empty otherwise stubborn files.

8. raze94

raze94 Member

thanks a lot for the heads up! the last time i tried deleting the files i was still running leopard. ill try it tomorrow.

9. mannysator

mannysator New Member

Had the same problem on my Macbook's external hard drive and on my iMac (but wasn't paying enough attention at the time to notice what steps I'd taken to generate the error)--but both were running Snow Leopard (error code --8003). Did it the quick and brutal way on my Macbook: copied my essential files then reformatted my EHD. My iMac's stubborn trash resolved itself the next day: again, I don't know what I did.

10. rg0nzales

rg0nzales Member

Force emptying the trash normally works for me. Sometimes certain files remain but 0Kb in size. After reboot, the trash is totally empty.