Problem with synching iCal and Address Book (after 10.4.7 update)

Discussion in 'OS X and OS X Apps' started by quicksilver, Jul 16, 2006.

1. quicksilver

quicksilver Member

prior to installing 10.4.7, i was able to sync my treo 650 with iCal and Address Book; iCal and Address Book syncs with .Mac and Entourage; Entourage syncs with Outlook on my office pc; and Outlook syncs with my Blackberry 8700. therefore, all i needed to do was enter an appointment or a contact in one device, and all the three other devices would be in sync.

i recently upgraded to 10.4.7 and now, i have problems synching: (1) iCal and Address Book can no longer sync with my treo 650, and (2) iCal and Address Book can't sync with Entourage either.

after installing 10.4.7, i always get the error "isync conduit synchronization failed. ( the first time it happened, i checked isync, and i noticed that "enable palm os synching" was unchecked, so i enabled palm os synching and also checked the isync conduits in hotsync. i was able to sync my treo650, but for one time only. after that, i couldnt sync anymore.)

i then noticed that iCal and Address Book wouldnt sync with Entourage anymore.

i also noticed that iCal starts-up even if i dont activate it. whenever i launch Entourage or iSync, iCal also launches. unfortunately, no synchronization takes place.

can somebody help? how do i restore synching between my treo 650 and iCal & Address Book? how do i restore synching with Entourage? thanks.

2. icetraxx626

icetraxx626 Active Member

try to re-install the isync component in your treo by pairing your mac to the treo again.this might do the trick.

3. jasondv

jasondv Member

I had synchronization problems, too, after updating to 10.4.7. My PowerBook stopped working with the MS Exchange server at work, and the Treo-iSync synchronization process was flaky (it would always sync but not all iCal/Address Book entries were synced properly).

After two weeks spent troubleshooting my sync problem, I decided to go back to 10.4.6. Presto! Everything works well again! You might want to consider doing that as well...

4. quicksilver

quicksilver Member

thanks icetraxx626. i tried that but still no go. :(

5. quicksilver

quicksilver Member

my entourage still syncs with our exchange server at work, so my bb8700 still syncs with entourage via outlook. however, entourage just wont sync with iCal and Address Book.

how did you go back to 10.4.6? archive and install? did you have to reinstall your ms office and palm desktop software?

6. jasondv

jasondv Member

I just popped in the Tiger installer DVD and selected "Archive and Install." That brought me to 10.4.0. Then I downloaded the 10.4.6 combo update from Apple's support page (140MB download).

I didn't have to re-install MS Office and Palm Desktop after going back to 10.4.6.

7. PaoSison

PaoSison Member

I have been following the post with a lot of curiosity and have read up on the 'Archive and Install' feature of OSX.

All I can say is 'whaaaaw it's way so cool'... :D

galing nya to the maX.
    have been a a geek since the DOS age, this takes the fun out of...frustration?

8. quicksilver

quicksilver Member

thanks, jasondv! i'll try that.

i'm just wondering whether there is another solution (i.e. without having to go back to 10.4.6).

9. quicksilver

quicksilver Member

finally! after 20 days, i was able to get iCal and Address Book to sync with .Mac and Entourage, without having to go back to 10.4.6. i found the solution over at the apple discussion forums. turns out the key was in resetting sync services. :cool:

10. jasondv

jasondv Member

Hey, thanks for the heads up. Will explore that option as well to see if I can go up to 10.4.7 again.