Problem with CDR-Ws

Discussion in 'OS X and OS X Apps' started by the_butcher, Feb 7, 2005.

1. the_butcher

the_butcher Member

hi all. i can't seem to re-write on CDR-Ws using Toast. My computer always say "Disc is not recognizable or not re-writable" Here's my solution: I erase the disc and use it again. Though this works, it's not very practical and convenient. I always use CDR-Ws to transfer files from MAC to PC and vice-versa. Any bright ideas? Thanks in advance

2. quicksilver

quicksilver Member

why not just get a usb flash drive?

3. cyberprince

cyberprince Active Member

I also have the same problem.

4. weremermaid

weremermaid Member

dump the PC! :lol:

5. dude_funk

dude_funk Guest

I may be completely misunderstanding the question but when a CD-RW is "closed", you really need to erase the entire disc before you can write to it again. This is normal CD-RW "behavior".

Have you tried deselecting the "Close disc" option in Toast? I've seen my sister do this so she could keep adding more data to a CD-R (non-re-writeable). However, not "closing" the disc might cause read problems with drives that does not support this functionality.

Goodluck,
    Christian

6. cyberprince

I'm thinking along the same lines. I actually have already un-selected the Close option but have not tried since. I've tried this with data discs. I can add files during my second burn. What happens is that two CDs are mounted. With the files from the orginal burn on one CD and files from the second burn on the other. When I open it on the PC I can only see the files from the second burn.

Also I cannot re-use a CDRW originally used on a PC.

[Edited on 2-7-2005 by cyberprince]

7. ikenn

ikenn Member

Try burning the files as iso9660. it won't mount as 2 disk anymore but as one and its readable in a PC platform.

[Edited on 2-7-2005 by ikenn]

8. cyberprince

@ikenn thanks for the suggestion. I just read through the help menu. should have done that a long time ago. Wasted so many discs. No I know the difference between the various types of discs available in the advaced tab.

Also I just tried it. dude_funk is right. I un-selected Close Disc and now I can re-write to my CD-RW. Case closed. Thanks guys! :D

[Edited on 2-7-2005 by cyberprince]