Pricing Guide for Freelance Graphic Designers

Discussion in 'Graphic Designers' started by imedalla, Apr 6, 2010.

1. dfused

dfused Member

With the current industry, some client nowadays look for more cheaper alternatives to process their communications, branding & marketing - and all they thought these are just expenses and not revenue earners - they are not! All those designs & artworks you've done for measly thousand bucks can generate your client a 10,000 times or more (profit). Now ask yourself "worth it ba?" o naloko ka lang nila?

I've been working as a freelance designer for over 15 years, and we've set the bar higher. And while those new freelancers costing loose change, because you only want the project or client for your portfolio, think again - you're simply branding yourself as a cheap alternative artist.

PS. I knew who designed the Jollibee logo and damned it's not even local (see they can afford).

Experience this more than twice, to the point that I have to redo everything, charge them twice as much and became my life long client. There are times I advice the client to let the artist rework the project and stood as the art director.

#81 dfused, Jun 25, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2012
  2. wo0dpecker27

wo0dpecker27 New Member

im also a new artist and i always experiencing so much revisions from my boss, and it makes me feel like im a stupid coz i cant make what they want to see in their posters :(

3. v8designstudio

13. Don't be a sucker for coins. Earn from your designs and then earn more for print and all other executions.
    So you have finished the design and clients loves it, now it's time to turn the tide, you are no longer just an unknown, you are now part of that client's life. The wall has crumbled, you have breached the client's "design" perimeter. Earn more. Design even more mind-blowing studies - Make your client enjoy the experience, prolong the dopamine effect if you can. Make sure your name is imprinted on your client's brain before you relax on your work chair - then watch him return over and over and over again to your studio.

14. If you keep revising your OWN work, there are only two things to think about. (a) Both your work AND your Boss sucks or (b) one of them. Either way, you must learn to discover within yourself what kind of artist-designer you are. If you have a diploma on graphic design, leave your boss. If you don't, be content you still have a job.

15. Money is rude. It is also power. You have to know how to handle it to make it your slave. Harness it to make you powerful. If you do good design - Learn to charge right - make money bow down to your prowess. Money waits for those who DESERVE it. If you are weak in respecting your work or your design or your self - you become its slave. Rise above it.

16. Have you seen the Smart Telecom logo launched last year, yes, the new one that looks like Nips? Now that's an ugly piece of a million-peso design - but whoever designed that stood his ground and won. Thats what we all should do. Remember, client is subjective - designer is objective.

17. See all those real-estate brochures being handed away on most malls? Do they suck or do they do the job? Learn to discern. It is your best weapon yet.

18. Don't even call yourself a freelancer if you do not file your Income Tax Returns.

19. So you think you're good. Capitalize on that. But pay for your fonts man.

More....

4. wo0dpecker27

wo0dpecker27 New Member

i want to comment on no.14., my family are not rich like others and i can't afford to go to school to study visual arts., so i enter a public school which they offer Visual Design course but all you can get is a certificate., that means its like a vocational or short course., does that mean i should be thankful that i have a job coz all i only graduated in a public school?

5. P-M-J

P-M-J Member

Sorry to break this to you. What you said above means you are putting a limit on your life early on. What you have is a good start. Quit the self pity and make way to take yourself to the next level. Maintain you job for a while, save up, invest, quit, move on.

That depressing mentality you have wont get you anywhere.

6. v8designstudio

This is inspiring. One seeking knowledge and another imparting. This could not have been said any better. Thanks PMJ.

Visual Design is great knowledge, no matter how short a course it is. Even greater is what you can do with it. Let not someone else's diploma detract you from what you do. DO it good, do it right and believe that you have what it takes.

No. 14 tells you to discern when you are being made a slave by a boss that keeps you revising an artwork in circles. If you have a Visual Design certificate, and your boss don't, then you are in a better position to KNOW what should be done. If you don't take charge, you WILL be trampled upon. DO NOT let this be done to your person.

7. wo0dpecker27

wo0dpecker27 New Member

that quote is annoying me., for me it says " only those who has diploma are great!"

8. wo0dpecker27

wo0dpecker27 New Member

thanks for the advice sir v8designstudio and PMJ., in makes me fueled to trust and stand for my artworks

9. v8designstudio

20. There are stages in the development of a designer-artist. Here's the positive side of it.

Stage 1 - You become interested in design and you learn whatever you can learn.
    Stage 2 - You flex your design muscle by looking for and working on your first project. Then your second...third...
    Stage 3 - You graduate internally convincing yourself you're good and you can do better. You make your talent and skill a source of income. You begin to earn more from it.
    Stage 4 - You begin to ask questions about earning even more, about pricing and rates. You look around and seek graphic design groups to see if you can pit your work on others and grin if you do better work. You're ready to fly.
    Stage 5 - You're flying. You realize your client network is growing, by this same time, you now see your hardware is not up to the task - then you begin to doubt your rates if its all worth it. You look around for a better, bigger, faster hardware to help you contain all your deadlines. Now, your circumstances has directed you to the no-turning-back-no-u-turn-one-way-highway. You shiver. Your knees begin to wobble. Suddenly, it dawns on you that you need to spend more now to contain your client for tomorrow.
    Stage 6 - You rise above it. You revisit your first plans. Then you revise that plan. You adjust for the future. You fortify your base. You now begin to categorize your clients based on their profitability. You begin to realize that you can earn more by actually doing little.
    Stage 7 - You have made your mark. People around you know you and your work. They value you as a person and they value your work as art. You inspire people. You get things done without being in the studio. You have people working for you now. You DELEGATE, and then you CRITIQUE. Then you put your signature on the work.

"Set he bar higher." - Dfused.

10. MacSonic 779

MacSonic 779 Member

Hi Woodspecker29

Do not feel bad if your boss or your client asks for too many revisions. There's nothing to feel low about it. Sometimes it's part of our careers or work that we encounter many revisions. Sometimes it is also a case of the boss or client not knowing what they really want in the design or some marketing people want to play "art director" or they dictate the colors or the design.

It is sometimes a case of communication barriers. Always best to ask from clients or boss a visual peg so both of you are more less on the same page. Like example a client wanted a darker blue so I ask for a visual peg and he showed me the type of blue he wanted and we hit it right on target. Some clients are not oriented with art terms. I had a client tell me he wanted a black outline on the text. And I found out all he wanted was to put a soft drop shadow on the text. But the client did not know the right words for that effect. If you encounter too many revisions, try to clarify with your boss on his objective. In some cases some clients are doing this as a trial and error and if they are not happy with the design they asks for revisions.

Welcome to Philmug and hope you are enjoying the discussions here

11. wo0dpecker27

wo0dpecker27 New Member

thanks for the advice sir., :D i read many discussions here that makes me more inspired., im very happy to be a philmugger :)

12. jolyos

jolyos New Member

Greetings Fellow Designers...
    The prices that mnx posted depends on the agreement that client & designer discussed an he said "these are the lowest rates i have gathered that were confirmed by 3 of our staff artists". If they asked for a trifold Flyer for 650Php, the agreement will be --a 1 concept lay-out, simple yet effective and NO revisions, 3hrs of design and lay-outing. Pay while i work. I Got a Job!... But if the client refuses, then i'll increase the price and until we reach a final deal. It really depends on how you talk with clients.

BTW, my clients has been Locals and foreign businessman. i used to talk with them and offer some marketing materials. i'll post a link of my works later on. I'm just new here. d:)

#92 jolyos, Jul 26, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2012
  13. rockophoria

rockophoria Active Member

to all designers here.. how about we segregate the job descriptions here so that we can make a clear data of "rates" one has to maintain.. as we all know with the emergence of Softwares design as a new industry the term or title "Graphic Designer" is no longer appropriate.. unlike the distinction between "Graphic Designer" and "Graphic Artist" way back can be differentiated.

- Graphic Artist: Typical title for a designer working in a "print" or "publishing" company, does leaflets, brochures and magazine layouts and color sampling, this also requires the designer to have basic knowledge on "printing" issues like CMYK/Pantone color management.

Graphic Artist's estimated starting salaries ranges from 12-15k

- Web Designer
    : Focuses on website design, more on templates, logos, icons, GIF/Action scripting animations and image layouts that already have most of the website images already from their clients.. I have encountered headhunters who think that web designers are also "web developers" but its different as web developers are technically the "coders" or back end programmers..

Web Designers' estimated starting salaries ranges from 15-20k (higher if you have CSS/HTML/XHTML knowledge)

- Graphic Designer (also called "Multimedia Designer"): A title usually used for a designer that caters in multi-media design like flash animation, 3D illustrations for commercial purposes, typically a graphic designer rarely works in-house and prefer to work independently or "freelance" as they do mostly what a Graphic Artist and a Web Designer do and dont concentrate in one specific design field.

A "Flash Animator" is also considered as a Graphic Designer but with an "animation" background, typically from the old cartoon industry that shifted to action scripting.

Those who design widgets and illustration/icons for iOS and Android devices are still considered as graphic designers (but mostly iOS and Android developers likes to work 90% of the app and will likely have the designer a level of control to it.. they will typically ask the designer to make their template look good")

Graphic Designer's estimated starting salaries (if in-house) are usually the same as Web Designers.. 15-20k (25k depending on skill)

- User Experience (UX) Designer (formerly known as "User Interface Designers"): A designer that has "usability and user experience" skill and knowledge, typically graphic designers that started working on "Software Companies" and acquired extensive user interface designing and implementing knowledge, those that was able to work alongside software engineers.. typically a designer that has intricate "UI-Flow" knowledge that can translate into a very intuitive UI with excellent user experience.

UX Designers also are the people included in the "inception phase" of the product development lifecycle..

UX Designer's estimated starting salaries are competitive 40k+ (higher depending on skill, experience and portfolio)

- Usability Analyst: These are designers that no longer create the "visual" side of the software/product user interface, they already concentrate on the "UI Flow" and "User-Friendliness" of the interface, they design the initial mockup and working prototype of the actual product after inception, works directly with the creative director, software engineers and business analysts.. they are typically teamed up with the UX Designers.

Usability Analysts rarely work independently or in freelance..

Usability Analysts' estimated starting salaries are competitive 40-45k+ (higher depending on skill, experience, portfolio and "certifications")

- Creative Director: The highest design position a designer can achieve in any industry (print, web, multimedia or software) this are technically a "managerial job" already that no longer caters any of the above as "tasks" but more on the "process" and "decision-making".. does a lot of business travels, meetings and the typical power-tripping ;)

I dont know of any instance this job can be done in freelance..

Creative Directors estimated starting salaries are competitive (no statistical data available) specially with experience and past company reputation.

note: all of the data I posted above are all based on my knowledge on the process.. all can be varied or will depend on the type of company or the "urgency" of their needs to fill in certain positions that may force them to "overshoot" their salary offers to pirate a certain skill.

you can share actual/current rates or data if you have one..

#93 rockophoria, Jul 26, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 27, 2012
  14. mnx

mnx Active Member

Some time back, when We 1st put up our design gig, I was shocked at the low rates available in the market.

We realized, though, that what seems like a serious competitive threat is actually something good for us. We stopped looking at freelancers as competition but as a pool of affordable manpower.

We designed our hr strategy around that. Contacting freelancers as well as fresh graduates to try out for our team and a chance at a steady income stream from having a full time job.

I'll be honest in saying less than 2% of those who try are worth making an offer. Looking back at our hiring cycle, we only find 2 or 3 in every 200 who try out. That alone should explain the massive number of cheap freelancers in the market. Most are just not going to cut it in many agencies.

15. Bluekaze

Bluekaze Member

hi guys!

can i ask those who work for a design firm - are the designers paid thru a fixed salary? or on a per-project basis ?

how about the partners / senior officers / managers? are they on a fixed salary too? or do they get a percentage on on the company's bottom line ?

16. mnx

mnx Active Member

All our employees are on fixed salaries.

Beyond the basic salaries, team leads up have performance bonus programs. Directors up get additional profit share from their team output. ManCom members get additional profit share for total company performance.

The above are monetary additions to their salaries.

We also have personal development perks like seminar/conference/workshop budget, gym membership, transportation allowance, regular company sponsored dinners, so on.

17. sher_amf

sher_amf Member

Magkano magpagawa ng blog design? css design?

Planning to have my blog redesigned... it's not earning anything... at least not yet... was thinking something like an ex deal... will include the artist's signature sa blog to have a lower fee..

18. astigmania

astigmania New Member

guys, bago lang po ako dito sa forum..
    pasensya na kung may tanong agad ako :)

freelancer ako, may isang company na nagpapagawa sa akin ng logo para sa machine/tester nila, kasama nadin yung software logo..
    di ko alam kung magkano ba dapat ang isingil sa kanila.. gusto nila nang 3 logo na pagpipilian tapos 5 days ko gagawin..
    dapat ba mas mataas singil ko sa kanila kasi gagamitin nila sa product nila yung logo?..
    salamat po!

19. chardsnet

chardsnet New Member

Hi astigmania! Since freelancer ka, based mo nalang sa hourly rate mo ung price. Bale estimate mo nalang kung ilang oras mo siya nagawa. Meron mga services nagoffer ng logo design 5k, including dun ung 3 concepts and revisions. I am also new here. ^.^

20. astigmania

astigmania New Member

salamat po sa reply :)
    kelangan ko talaga ng idea kung magkano..so kahit flat rate nalang po, wala din kasi ako idea kung magkano ba dapat ang hourly rate sa ganito.. :)