Pricing Guide for Freelance Graphic Designers

Discussion in 'Graphic Designers' started by imedalla, Apr 6, 2010.

1. imedalla

imedalla Guest

Hi,

I am wondering what general prices to charge clients for freelance graphic design. I know that this is a very general question and it all depends on the amount of work and the complexity of the project. I just want to know what the "regular" charges are here in the Philippines. I know that I found a thread before with these prices on it, but I cannot find it anymore. I am sure it was not from PhilMug though. Here's a list of graphic design stuff that I am interested in catering:

Branding, Brochures, Business Cards, Corporate/Identity (including logos), Invitations, flyers/leaflets, menus, posters, and static website designs.

Any help will do. Thanks!:D

2. mnx

mnx Active Member

these are the lowest rates i have gathered that were confirmed by 3 of our staff artists... limited to 3 studies with unlimited revisions...

3 fold flyer : 650.00
    brochure : 350.00 per page
    business card : free if included in project with other items
    menu : 1,000.00 (cover + 4 pages)
    poster : 350.00 to 450.00

3. dfused

dfused Member

Those are TOO CHEAP!

Creative design should not be measured by value but by concept or idea - that communicates the core design solution or the direction.

If that is a trend nowadays, then soon us graphics designers will be extinct.

anjerodesu likes this.
  4. chairman

chairman Moderator
    Staff Member

no good self-respecting designer would charge this low.

anjerodesu likes this.
  5. mnx

mnx Active Member

never said they were good nor self respecting... but they're out there...

sorry... i should say not all are good... but i've met a few... and hired them full time...

6. suavecito

suavecito PhilMUG Addict Member

Man this is degrading! Ill probably let my dog learn adobe softwares.

7. Eric

Eric Member

This is predatory pricing. It undercuts fellow designers and damages the industry as a whole. This is unethical behavior to say the least and the people who came up with these prices should not consider themselves professionals.

8. dryxzzz

dryxzzz Active Member

Those figures are for trying-hard graphic designers. I'd rather give it away for free...if you are a "close" friend or relative of mine. :p

9. mnx

mnx Active Member

i agree...

still... hard to discuss ethics with fresh grads and the unemployed...

hence, my policy has been to hire (as full time employees with proper pay) those who show promise... they are few and far between but they're out there...

too much supply with too little demand... this is not limited to graphics... there's a wide range of unemployed talent out there...

my most recent hire is an illustrator... excellent skills... computer technique needed some improvement but that's since been solved with training... i had to offer higher than his asking because it was below minimum wage...

10. essay

essay Active Member

Ok. Curious... If that is too low, what's a just and more acceptable pricing?

(That pricing will really kill the graphic industry.)

11. Eric

Eric Member

As a rule of thumb, I cost my projects based on my hourly rate. By using this method, I can adjust a project's cost based on the actual amount of time I spend working on it. This practice also makes it easier for the client to appreciate the creative process. A complex project will have a higher cost than an uncomplicated one. Simple and fair.

Of course, there will be times that the actual cost would be well below (or above) the industry rates. If this happens, I make the necessary adjustments.

12. MacSonic 779

MacSonic 779 Member

What Sir Eric mentioned here is very true and correct. Seasoned freelancers count in computer time often in costing projects. I would like to add that we should also count in "computer depreciation" and upgrading, maintenance expenses even if it's a freelance arrangement. Plus misc like electricity, internet and the number of anticipated revisions. Freelancers who are new to this tend to overlook these factors. Thanks.

13. Mad Mac

Mad Mac Active Member

It's basically a talent fee. Talent is immeasurable and really, you can charge as high as you want until nobody can afford you. Likewise, you can go as low as you want and be scorned upon by big ad agencies. Be the best at what you do and be easy to deal with. Money will come naturally.

14. snydesign

snydesign New Member

Hi!

This is Anne of SnyDesign Graphic Studio, our website is:
    www.snydesignstudio.com

If interested, you may send your inquiry at snydesign@gmail.com so I can send you our rates.

Thank you.

15. reytomanila

reytomanila Member

the way i see it, mnx only did us a favor of gathering info of who's doing what and how much out there.

people, there are "artists" out there who charge this low, we all know who they are, you see them in tiny stalls in malls and supermarkets.

as the saying goes " natuto lang ng photoshop, artist na". they're the likes who cringe at inDesign and illustrator. less likely, quarkxpress. di pa nga alam ang overprint, laying out text boxes in rgb for offset printing. hayy.

nowhere will you find a decent designer who uses the proper software for the task and knows the pre-press workflow charging this low.

i agree with charging on an hourly and/or complexity basis.

know your worth.

16. imedalla

imedalla Guest

Thanks, everyone, for your help.

I know for sure that the prices given on the first response are too low, but what is the average hourly rate for simple and complex projects?

17. Eric

Eric Member

You have to factor in a lot of things to determine your hourly rate. Chief among which is for you to figure out your annual salary. After that, you need to factor in your expenses. You also need to include other variables such as how much your competition charges, what types of clients you want to attract, etc.

Figuring those out, you can then use a number of methods to arrive at a reasonable hourly rate.

Here's a helpful link to get you started.

There are tons of resources available online about setting rates for freelancers. You should also scour the bookstores for titles by the AIGA, these usually include chapters about pricing.

After reading up on the subject, you would agree that the prices listed at the start of this thread are ridiculously low and were probably pulled out of someone's ass. Clients should be wary of such pricing. :D

18. mnx

mnx Active Member

i agree that the prices i quoted were cheap...

that said, i cannot begin to fathom how that was "pulled out of someone's ass"... those were the lowest confirmed rates my staff were able to gather...

denying or downplaying the existence of that kind of pricing and practice will not make the problem disappear...

it would be in my personal benefit for design pricing to be high but i have to, the the very least, acknowledge this issue... with school output higher than industry need, the situation will likely worsen...case to point, one of artists confirmed that one of the offers to come our way was made by her batch mates from ust college of fine arts...

truth be told, i cannot see myself telling a client to be "wary" should that kind of pricing be brought up... luckily i have not had to directly address the matter with our clients...

19. v8designstudio

MNX is correct. I know so.

But for you Imedalla, let me encourage you a bit.
    Six years ago, i designed a campaign ad, yes you're right, the election season, for a candidate and his team. I asked to be paid P36,000 for all the work and pizza every night until the work is finished. Probably put in a months worth of work. The whole team won.
    Same client, 3 years ago. P250,000. They won.
    This time. P3M.
    I think they'll win again.

It isn't about money sometimes, or how much you are worth.
    It's the kind of work you CAN deliver, and the value your clients PUT on those deliverables.

I say just do it.
    Price yourself however which way you want to. But keep your eyes open on those opportunities disguised as freebies. There's more to it than meets the eye.

Oh I forgot. The higher you get paid, the greater the stress to deliver, the greater the chances that client will leave you for another.

Deliver results. That is key.
    Cheers.

20. Eric

Eric Member

MNX, apologies. I wasn't implying that you or your staff somehow pulled the figures from someone's nether-regions. What I meant was that some 'designers' come up with these ridiculous figures seemingly from thin air without any consideration on factors mentioned in this thread. I am not downplaying the existence of such rates. Far from it.

Clients should be wary of such pricing since the quality of the work may be questionable and not up to industry standards.

Cheers.