Price Check: MBP 15" Alum Replacement Battery

Discussion in 'MacBook Air, MacBook & MacBook Pro' started by esm, Sep 28, 2009.

1. esm

esm Member

Hello,
    My battery looks dead after 13 months... just dies after 5-10mins after unplugging the power :(

Just wanted to check how much it cost for a apple branded replacement battery.
    are there non-apple replacements? is it worth going that route...

2. Shinrai

Shinrai Guest

Go to store.apple.com/ph to check the price.

3. esm

esm Member

thanks.. is it the same with other retail stores?

4. Venet

Venet Member

I suggest you use origs, visit powermac they may have some stocks for you.

5. csc2ky

csc2ky Member

Definitely give Apple a call to check, if you might be covered even though you are out of warranty by a few days. Do you have AppleCare? How many cycles? What is the status, if you check in system profiler?

Anyways give Apple a call. Might get a free battery replacement in the end. ;) Good luck!

6. ishg

ishg I'm female!
    Staff Member Supporter

+1 for above suggestion re calling Apple first.

If you can't get a free replacement the next best thing would probably be getting one from Charlie's Digital Hub. Competitive prices and you can avail of the PhilMUG discount. Good luck!

7. ijingo

ijingo Active Member

If the MBP battery is already replaced with a new one and now it says "service battery" and the unit is still under apple care, will they replace it?

[​IMG]

#7 ijingo, Oct 1, 2009
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2009
  8. csc2ky

csc2ky Member

This is also on a case to case basis. I have been experiencing the same with my battery. Weirdly it changed back from the Service Battery to Normal after I let it drain and charge a couple of times. Your best bet is to contact Apple as well about this. They will have you go through a lot of things though. I for one did the following before I called Apple:

1. Reset your SMC
    2. Reset your PRAM
    3. Calibrate your battery
    4. Call Apple

They want me to go to have the unit checked at a Authorized Service Center. Either the battery has a defect or according to them even the Logic board could be affected.

IMHO I think that Snow Leopard might be incorrect about the information the battery gives you.

There are threads about this on Apple discussions and recently also on TUAW:

http://www.tuaw.com/2009/09/24/10-6-falsely-reports-service-battery-i-think-not/

and

http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=2139186

9. glennp00

glennp00 Member

just 13 mos and the battery is already dead

10. ijingo

ijingo Active Member

Doing this now, let's see. I cant turn off the airport as well.

11. fr.ankie

fr.ankie Member

maybe that is still covered by applecare if you extended it.

12. csc2ky

csc2ky Member

After resetting the PRAM and SMC, create a new user in the Accounts panel of System Preferences and then boot into Safe Mode by holding down Shift when you boot your machine. Check if that solves the wireless Airport issue. Also you might consider booting of the Restore Discs holding down D while booting to have a system check performed for possible hardware failures.

Good luck!

13. ijingo

ijingo Active Member

Create a new user account and didn't work, still the Airport cannot be turned off. Booting the Restore Discs next.

14. barre05

barre05 Well-Known Member
    Supporter

Had the same experience from my then 13-month old early 2008 MBP last month, too.

After just 36 cycles, the battery was at 48% health, and the battery indicator said "Service Battery", too. Brought it to Digital Walker VMall (apparently, they're the only branch of DW/DH that can order stuff from Apple Asia) to have it fixed.

There, they'll check the battery to see if it's a bad battery or simply used out. If it's the former, they'll replace it (provided you have Apple Care). If it's the latter, then you're out of luck, and you'll have to buy a new one.

In my case, I got a new battery free, as I was saddled with a bad battery. Got it in 5 days. Not bad.

Good luck! :)

15. ijingo

ijingo Active Member

Yes, still on Apple Care. Thanks, will try my luck in DH.