Prescription glasses

Discussion in 'General OT' started by shifty_md, Mar 30, 2014.

1. hitme64

hitme64 PhilMUG Addict Member

^not so much, but yes, it takes a while to transition itself...

gaol likes this.
  2. memphis

memphis Well-Known Member

I remember one time i went inside a bank coming from a direct sunlight. Security guard asked me to remove my sunglass. I answered it's the sight i only have. Then the lenses i think gets clear again. Guard turns awe.

Kiko likes this.
  3. Dekra

Dekra PhilMUG Addict Member

^LOL

I've used Transitions in the past and they don't turn dark while driving. Glad to know there is new technology for this (i.e Transitions Xtractive)

Nowadays, I'm using clip on sunglasses for my prescription frames. I'm currently using Moscot Lemtosh paired with the Cliptosh clip-on shades. What I like about the Cliptosh is that it uses G-15 lenses and not just some lens that are just dark.

4. hitme64

^where did you buy your Moscots? been looking for that from local shops here but no dice as of yet...

5. wulf

wulf Well-Known Member

same problem. it's UV activated and our cars already have UV protection tints. kinda beats our purpose of having an all-in-one pair. so i still have a car only sunglasses with prescription. that or have the car tint removed

6. johannes

johannes PhilMUG Chairman
    Staff Member Chairman

So is Transitions Xtractive available here in Manila? And any recommendations for shops?

7. Mykolant

Mykolant PhilMUG Addict Member

Between Down Under and the Great White North
    I've used Transitions for the past 2 years and what I've noticed is that it turns dark slowly under the Philippine sun. But here in Sydney, it turns dark immediately once I step out into the sunlight. The UV rays are really strong here...

8. gaol

gaol PhilMUG Addict Member

Noticed that too; also my Transitions progressive lenses don't turn as dark here in the Philippines as it did when we visited the US. Guess we should be thankful that the UV rays aren't as bad here.

9. Dekra

Yes, UV is really strong in Australia. That's why you have lots of skin cancer clinics there (not to scare you though Mike)

Mykolant likes this.
  10. Dekra

Boss, it's available at Ronnie & Joe. I bought my Cliptosh though at Moscot.com since R&J don't carry size 46.

hitme64 likes this.
  11. hitme64

^Ronnie & Joe it is...i even like their names :p

12. Mykolant

Oh, not scared at all. Part of our routine when getting ready to go out of the house is to slather SPF50 sunblock, even if just going to the corner store to buy eggs. Then we re-apply a couple of hours after. I always have a small tube of sunblock in my bag. They even have stores called The Cancer Council selling various skin protection products, from sunblock, UV-rated hats and tops, rash guards, shorts, sunnies, umbrellas, etc. I think part of the proceeds goes to research and development.

I haven't checked how much progressive transition lenses cost here.

13. xthine

xthine PhilMUG Addict Member

@johannes
    The non Xtractives do not respond at all behind the windshield, practically clear.

This website I found explains the science behind the lenses:

http://trade.transitions.com/resources/public/10478/Transitions XTRActive Tech Paper_US.pdf

the short of it is: "Transitions XTRActive lenses were developed to take advantage of the lower wavelengths of the visible spectrum they are able to achieve what other photochromics do not. "

My husband still wears Solar Shields (?) over his though because it does not darken up enough to his liking/comfort.

gaol and johannes like this.
  14. johannes

johannes PhilMUG Chairman
    Staff Member Chairman

Thanks for this, xthine! Very helpful!

By the way, do Transitions lenses need special care?

15. gaol

gaol PhilMUG Addict Member

Thanks for this!

This document also explains why the standard Transitions lenses do not darken as much in very hot climates like ours in the Philippines, and as a result, we can infer that the XTRActives would be a better choice here in hot and humid Metro Manila. But it might also mean a longer transition time from dark to clear (or rather clear with a hint of tint) when entering indoors. The hint of tint indoors might be a concern for some users but I think I would be okay with it.

I'll look into XTRActives when my glasses are due for replacement....

johannes likes this.
  16. phonephone

phonephone Member

I have used Essilor transition lenses bought from Sarabia Optical. I found it lacking in terms of shading my eyes against intense sunlight. I still find myself squinting my eyes a number of times. Furthermore, I hate the part when it slowly goes back to clear lenses but it stays in a light gray tint for a while. As somebody pointed out here, it will look like the light tinted glasses that Bono wears. It looks, for a lack of a better word, baduy on me.

So I gave up on transitions and now I'm looking for Prescription sun lenses. I was able to buy one from Vision Express and had it installed on a wayfarer. So far, I'm very happy with everything except for the cost. They charged me 7,790 pesos because it's polarized despite it being thick lenses.

Right now, I want to do the same with my aviator frame. Unfortunately, a thick RX sun lens won't work this time because the frame of an aviator is quite thin. It will look weird with a thick lens sticking out of it. Does anybody know a place who sells thin RX sun lenses? TIA.

17. Mykolant

I just ordered a new pair of multi-focal (progressive lens) glasses from a local optical shop (Japanese brand and technology) here in our suburb. Base price for the frame and regular lenses is AUD$198, then add AUD$200 for the low-distortion multi-focal lenses, plus another AUD$100 for transitions. Total was AUD$498. Comes out to about PhP17,500, which is just a bit more than what I paid for for my last pair of glasses with the same specs, that I bought at a small optical shop somewhere in Quiapo over two years ago.

Will get it in a week or so. Will let you guys know how it goes.

18. Kiko

Kiko Well-Known Member

Was happy with essilor transitions a few years back. Not too many scratces on the lenses after a year or two. Had to shift to essilor progressive lenses 1.5 years ago when I started having problems with reading vision. Expensive lenses (around 14k) with no photochromic ability with lots of scratches now. Ill another brand (hoya), almost same price but progressive and photochromic. Theyll most likely arrive next week. Will give update

19. Sheryl.

Sheryl. Well-Known Member

Anybody here using lightweight prescription glasses? what brand are you using?
    I always get dents on my nose bridge whenever I wear mine. Same reason why I don't like wearing sunglasses.

20. hitme64

Lightweights, meaning acetate and plastic frames and lenses? Yes, i use them in all my glasses...

Mine right now is the new Oakley Latch in Sepia...only because I can't find any Elliot Havok prescription glasses here...