Preparing to sell a MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Air, MacBook & MacBook Pro' started by anon852, Apr 17, 2010.

1. anon852

anon852 Member

Just wanted to know, eventually I will sell my laptop to get myself a new one. Now my question is, how do I go about making my laptop as it was when I purchased it (meaning the original installed software is still there) while also removing all my files since I used my laptop?

Will formatting my Mac remove everything? TIA

2. LeoCastillo

LeoCastillo Maestro
    Staff Member

Simple.

Create a new user in Accounts.
    Delete your old user that has all your files.
    That's it.

Leo

3. essay

essay Active Member

To add:

Make sure the new user account has "admin" capacity, not standard or guest.

4. berniej

berniej Active Member

After deleting, make sure you "secure empty trash".

But if you really want to make sure that your files are no longer in your laptop, pop in the installation disk and do a fresh install.

5. rda

rda Member

what about licensed softwares that i purchased like aperture, elements, vmware etc, can i still use them in my new MBP?

thanks

6. Chito Limson

Chito Limson Unfrozen…
    Staff Member

As long you erase them from the Macbook you intend to sell, then you can re-install them in your new MBP. @bernie's advice is very, very sound.

Oh, one more thing — do you have software wherein you have to authorize or register your machine? One such example is iTunes where you register your machine to avail of its special features. Another one is Audiobooks. Be sure to deauthorize your machine before you erase its contents.

7. wulf

wulf Well-Known Member

simplest way... but don't forget to backup your other files... stickies, addressbook,iphoto, safari preferences, etc

8. essay

essay Active Member

For back up, you can use Carbon Copy Cloner to "clone" the hard drive on the laptop you intend to sell. When the MBP is sold and given to the new owner, you have with you the exact copy of its hard drive.

Once your have your new mac, you can "re-copy" the cloned drive into it. Or remove the HD of the new mac, and replace it with the clone. It's like your old HD files never left you at all. :)

CCC alternative is super duper.

9. -Octate-

-Octate- Member

^ is that a free s/w which we can d/l?

10. turbosubaru

turbosubaru Member

Simplest way is to back up all your folders in your "User" directory and just reformat the drive and re-install from the restore disc / SL disc. When the new owner turns it on, it will be just like you purchased it brand new ie: Go through the whole welcome splash screen.

11. gosu_boji

gosu_boji Member

just to add, after you create a new user, be sure to 'chown' the applications you installed in /Applications or else the new user wont be able to update those applications

a full reinstall using the rescue disks is still the best way, after a 7-pass erase :D

12. checkyoulater

checkyoulater Member

i just sold my old 13" 2.4, and simply backed up everything, since I was selling it to a friend there wasn't any real danger of stealing info but I did try my dest to delete all the information that he wouldn't need.

In the end though he still reformatted the whole thing because we couldn't figure out how to change the short name/home name...strange i know but i really, for the life of me, couldn't find any instructions that did the trick for me. I followed instructions i found on apple's own knowledge base but no dice :p

13. johannes

johannes PhilMUG Chairman
    Staff Member Chairman

Yes, Carbon Copy Cloner is free. (You can send a donation if you want, though)

You may download it from their website: http://www.bombich.com/

14. Mad Mac

Mad Mac Active Member

I don't recommend a cloner if you will reinstall on a different spec hardware. It's better to restore from a Tiime Machine backup. YOu can do a full system restore or use Migration Assistant (using Time Machine backup) to keep your OS X fresh.

15. docnico

docnico PhilMUG Addict Member
    Supporter

I noticed that Time Machine backups save all applications, including the licensed ones. I have a licensed Microsoft Office and iWork from my backup and once I restored them to my new Mac, everything was intact. And since I didn't delete them from my previous Mac yet, I noticed that I could use them in both Macs. Is this a glitch? Which one will become the officially licensed one? Will deleting the apps from my previous Mac "free" up it's license?

16. den_lim

den_lim Active Member

Will the same follow for an ibook? I mean, if I reinstall, it will reset back to the old tiger.
    Will all the tiger updates still be available to the new user?

17. Salaryman Ryan

Salaryman Ryan PhilMUG Addict Member

I just reinstalled Tiger on one of our old eMacs (spring cleaning) and all the Tiger updates (up to 10.11) were available in Software Update. :)

18. radamanthus

radamanthus Member

When I left my previous employer I had to return the company-issued MacBook. I was too lazy to cleanup the laptop so I just bought a new hard disk and installed it on the MB. Then I put the old hard disk on an enclosure. That gave me lots of time to really clean the old hard disk and make sure all the important files have been copied over.

Swapping hard disks isn't as hard as you think, and it won't void your warranty. It's in the user manual.

19. rflores

rflores Well-Known Member

I am preparing my SnowLeopard Mac for selling / handing down. As much as possible, I want it to have that so-called Factory Fresh feel (Go through the whole welcome splash screen, create a new user account and stuff), no remnants of my old files, etc. How do I go about that if I want the new owner to retain the OS version? I only have the two gray discs and a Leopard (Not SnowLeopard) installer from my Mac’s previous owner.

Link from CNET - Selling your old Mac? Prepare it first
    http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-13727_7-20011109-263.html

20. p.pipster

p.pipster PhilMUG Addict Member

Damn good and relevant question. You don't want your vids posted on youtube even after erasing them from your drive. I don't know how it can still be retrieved even after erasing it but it sure is still possible from what I've read.