Powerline Adapters

Discussion in 'Time Capsule, AirPort Extreme, AirPort Express' started by VicB, May 15, 2014.

1. VicB

VicB PhilMUG Addict Member

2. Juice

Juice PhilMUG Addict Member
    Supporter

I use 4 of them. I got it from CDR-King it's the only place I could find it. They also have it in Electronics Boutique, but only recently. I think the best number is 3. Using 4 degrades the signal for some reason. The bandwidth I get is a sustained 6 Megabytes per second or 48 Mbps, but burst up to 9MB.

3. empty

empty Active Member

I used to use Netgear A/V class powerline adapters to extend my network to the ground floor. It works quite well. You just have to make sure that the areas you want to connect are on the same electrical circuit. Also the quality and age of the wiring in your house can be a factor. In my house (less than 5 years old) I get a full quality link anywhere in house. At my parents home (40 yeas old) the link drops in quality in some areas although its still quite good.

Note that the speed ratings are for total bandwidth. So 500Mbps is actually 250Mbps full duplex (2-way), which might matter to you. :)

4. VicB

Thanks for the info guys!

@juice, where is Electronics Boutique located?

5. macjobber

macjobber PhilMUG Addict Member

Robinson's Galeria Sir
    The one at ShangRila is already closed

6. VicB

Thanks!

7. cybersniper

cybersniper PhilMUG Addict Member

@VicB

You might wanna check out TipidPC.com too... - I saw some Netgears there.

8. kinse_44

kinse_44 PhilMUG Addict Member

So it's a requirement that the areas I'll have it on should be on the same circuit? Or would it still work, though a dip in performance is expected?

I'm thinking of getting one so I could have my PS4 in our living room act as if it has a wired connnection. My router is in my bedroom, one floor above our living room.

9. Juice

Juice PhilMUG Addict Member
    Supporter

As long as it's in one circuit. My son uses the power line adapter for his Xbox with no problems. Make sure the adapter is plugged directly into your socket. If you use an extension line on it with other appliances plugged in, it will degrade the signal. There's usually an indicator on the adapter to let you know that.

10. VicB

Just to update those who gave their comments on Powerline adapters. Finally bought a pair from Lazada.com. It was a Powerline Adpater pair (TPL-406E2k). It arrived last Saturday & have been using it ever since.

I was very concerned about comments about the adapters having to be on the same electric circuit. I noticed that our house had 3 electrical panel boards so I was worried that we may have 3 circuits.

After connecting the 1st adapter to the router located on our 2nd floor, I immediately went downstairs which is suppose to be on another electrical panel to connect the 2nd adapter. It worked!!

Right now, the 2nd adapter is being used by my son whose room does not get a strong wifi signal. Ordered another pair which I'll use with network switch boxes to maximize use of the adapters.

Using Ookla speed test with Monkey Brains (SF, CA, USA) as the preferred server, I got d/l speeds of 0.7 mbps & 1.2 mbps using our wifi & Powerline, respectively, on our DSL Fibr 8mbps. Interestingly, the upload speed was about the same for both wifi & Powerline (1.1 mbps).

11. cybersniper

cybersniper PhilMUG Addict Member

Yep - it will work even if you have more than one circuit... as long as you only have one power meter - needless to say, they all meet at some point - joining them altogether.

However, with this, there would definitely be loss of quality.

but it will work :)

12. madmax168

madmax168 Active Member

You will also need to take into consideration the length of the powerline running through the walls. It should be within limits of the adapter usually rated around 200m.