powerbook g4 problem

Discussion in 'MacBook Air, MacBook & MacBook Pro' started by kalilagirl, Apr 30, 2009.

1. kalilagirl

kalilagirl Member

Hi! I really don't know which category to place this problem in, but my pb has gotten really "slow". I've erased files, and there's 10gb of hard disk space left. I've upgraded my memory a few years back and it's now 768mb ram. I don't really do much with this computer except use safari, upload to flickr, edit photos on Photoshop on occasion, ms word. I don't even open my iPhoto anymore because the beachball always turns up and slows down the pb or it totally freezes.

I don't know what to do. Should I reformat my computer? How do I go about this? Save all pertinent files/docs then reformat the OS? Please help! Or can someone point me to the right direction to go to. I'm totally clueless. :eek:

2. 12jade12

12jade12 Member

i think reformat is the best solution. save your files in a hard drive first though.
    I did it with my ibook g4 and now its wayyy faster. =)

3. sunsetmac

sunsetmac New Member

hi.. try verify data permissions first and repair if needed..

4. makoy32000

makoy32000 Member

Eton Cyberpod Corinthian, Ortigas Pasig City
    My iBook also is faster than ever after reformatting.
    And it even runs on Leopard..

5. kalilagirl

kalilagirl Member

^^sunsetmac--did that na pero really slow pa rin.

@makoy & jade: how do i reformat? hehe. i'm really engot when it comes to this.

6. mark_17

mark_17 Active Member

you need your powerbook recovery discs or os x retail installation disc/s to do a clean install of mac os x..

7. macdrive007

macdrive007 Well-Known Member

before you do all the reformatting options, try this one first:

1. make a new Admin User account without password (choose your preferred Username & Short Name carefully)
    2. change the password of your current User Account into blank - no password
    3. log off, then log in to the new user account
    4. after relogging-in, run Disk Utility and Repair Permissions.
    5. if you find that your Mac is now faster, just copy all the FOLDERS from the old user account and copy it to your new user account
    6. after making sure all your files are copied and working, delete the old User Account
    7. customize your new account carefully, taking into account what settings could make your Mac slower (check Login Items; Log-Me-In and Torrent apps also slow the OS)
    8. you may set a new password for your new User Account when you're finished with all the configurations and settings

I successfully made an old Mac faster this way. :)

#7 macdrive007, May 2, 2009
    Last edited: May 2, 2009
  8. ijingo

ijingo Active Member

I made an account for my son today just to try, and decided to delete it anyway coz i enabled the parental control. anyway when i go back to the account settings, i cannot delete anymore the new created account, how do i delete an account. it was set as an administrator. now there are 2 admin users. thanks

#8 ijingo, May 3, 2009
    Last edited: May 3, 2009
  9. kalilagirl

kalilagirl Member

thanks macdrive, i'll give that a try before doing a reformat. :)

10. macdrive007

macdrive007 Well-Known Member

you can only delete a user account when you are logged in at the other user account. Disable also the password for both accounts for easier administration actions. You can enable the password again after.
    1. Go to System Preferences
    2. Click the Lock to make changes. Enter password if needed.
    3. Click the User Account you want to delete.
    4. Click the negative button (-) beside the plus (+) button.

@kalilagirl: you're welcome :)

#10 macdrive007, May 4, 2009
    Last edited: May 4, 2009