Powerbook g4 HD upgrade

Discussion in 'MacBook Air, MacBook & MacBook Pro' started by RandyQ, Jul 16, 2009.

1. RandyQ

RandyQ Member

I have an old (2003) 17" Powerbook G4, and I want to upgrade the hard disk. Does anyone know if this is a simple procedure, and if replacement drives are cheaply/readily available?

2. mark_17

mark_17 Active Member

it uses ide 2.5" laptop harddrive.. abit harder to find and more expensive than its sata counterpart. what capacity are you looking for? i can also install your harddrive for you for a fee, just pm me if interested with my service.

3. d1scjock

d1scjock Member

I changed the HDD on my powerbook too and you'll find that older IDE drives are a bit more expensive and the sizes are limited. I found mine somewhere in V-mall 3rd floor then had it changed with Ynzal. I had 2 bad experiences with Ynzal's service though. But I heard you just need to look for a specific guy to get the best service. Good luck!

4. RandyQ

RandyQ Member

Thanks for the quick posts fellows! I will try to find a drive in Vmall - right now have only about 80GB, hope to find one that is at least 200GB.

Ynzal? I purchased this unit along with a DualP G5 years ago and almost sued them because the G5 was unusable for over a year. Only when I threatened to sue did they act on it, so as for me I will never deal with them again.

Mark_17, I'll keep that in mind and let you know.

5. carlodude

carlodude Member

I just upgraded my G4 hard drive around 2 months ago. You'll find IDE drives in Vmall for about 2.3K - 2.5K for the 160GB...I think. I also installed it myself. Check out the link below if you want to tinker with your baby.

ifixit

6. Mad Mac

Mad Mac Active Member

I have nothing but good experience with Ynzal. They know these old Macs like the back of their hands. They replaced my iBook's hdd. They also replaced it when I had problems (no fault of their's). So I know their warranty holds. Every company will have its share of disgruntled customers. That is perfectly understandable. But the issue with Ynzal is moot. They are no longer an authorized reseller. I just go to them for mechanical fixes. For that, they shine in my book.

7. hungryalien

hungryalien Active Member

i've upgraded mine from 80 to 160 and now to 250gb. puro DIY job lang.

got my drive from 3rd flr vmall too.

8. hitme64

hitme64 PhilMUG Addict Member

mine just got upgraded from 40gb to 250gb by ynzal...expensive but, hey, what's not?

9. d1scjock

d1scjock Member

Sorry to hear about your bad xp with ynzal. I thought I was the only one with the bad xp with them. Here's another place you can use as reference if you do decide to DIY. They have guides you can use.

www.powerbookmedic.com

10. RandyQ

RandyQ Member

Actually you're right - it was a satisfied customer that convinced us to purchase from them. So I guess there are many like you who are very satisfied, and some like me who will curse them forever.

Medyo nakakapikon kasi when you have to explain to management why the expensive brand new Mac you bought is not useable and Ynzal keeps saying ganyan talaga ang G5.

Anyway, this is already way OT and I'm shutting up now.

11. RandyQ

RandyQ Member

BTW, how much did you buy the 250GB? Also, hirap ba to DIY? I have changed many drives before, but opening a mac makes me uneasy. Is it just like changing a drive on a Windows laptop?

12. jojo339

jojo339 Member

very easy to change hard drive on powerbook g4 aluminum and much easier on titaniums. parang windows laptop lng din nman, just remove all screws you see outside, but be careful though as you pop out the top case as you might yank the keyboard connector attached to the logic board, thats as far as i remember heheh. gudlak chong!

pero natawa tlga ko dun sa sagot ng ynzal sayo ....."ganyan tlga ang G5" hahahah