Power IC Problem on MBA 2014 13"

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by iamgerwin, Dec 8, 2015.

1. iamgerwin

iamgerwin New Member

Hi is there anyone who experienced or experiencing the same problem? I need an advice how and how much to fix the problem... Right now it's not charging I just bought it 2nd hand unit early this morning. thanks in advance.

2. makintosh

makintosh Active Member

Did you get the unit as defective or did you test it and worked before buying? If its obtained as defective, the logic board may be busted and having it replaced will cost an arm and a leg. If it was working when you got it maybe you can contact the seller for a refund if you agreed on a warranty.

#2 makintosh, Dec 8, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2015
  3. iamgerwin

iamgerwin New Member

Yeah, I already know that it has a problem on the power IC.. The seller forwarded me to a repair shop in Greenhills, but I don't have the time to go there so I'm thinking if there's another repair shop that can fix it and compare their cost. Currently it's working but the seller told me that I should not shut it down, because I will need to open the of unit and remove the battery connector for a minute so that it will start again. So I don't want that hassle, so if I can afford to pay for the fix I will definitely go for it.

4. makintosh

makintosh Active Member

Have you tried pram and smc resets?

According to ifixit, these are the causes of MBAs not powering on:

MacBook Air won't turn on

Your computer will not boot.

RAM issues

If your computer beeps three times, there is a RAM issue. Unfortunately, the RAM is soldered onto the logic board. Therefore, the logic board must be replaced.

Bad power adapter

If your power adapter is bad, the computer will run off a battery, but it won't charge. The MacBook Air uses a special adapter with an angled connector. If your battery's charge is too low, it will be difficult to diagnose a bad power adapter. The easiest way to test this is to borrow either a battery or power adapter to test in your machine. If you have the same problem with a fully charged battery, you most likely need a new logic board.

Thermal Sensor Issues

If the fans run at high RPMs, but the computer does not boot, there is probably an issue with the thermal sensors.

MacBook Airs house the thermal sensors on the logic board. Therefore, in this instance, the logic board may need to be replaced.

Bad logic board

If the above steps don't fix your problem, replace the logic board. We carry logic boards for the Original, Late 2008, and Mid 2009 models.

Also, 9 beeps on startup indicates a logic board problem. Try contacting your nearest Apple representative to determine if they will fix this problem (be sure to back up your data first!). If not, you must replace the logic board yourself

It mentioned nothing specifically about the battery. And given the MBA's small logic board, it will be difficult to repair by hand.

Opening the unit and disconnecting the battery connector ain't that difficult to do. Maybe you can just do it and stick with leaving it on?

May I ask how much you got the unit?

#4 makintosh, Dec 9, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 9, 2015
  5. iamgerwin

iamgerwin New Member

Thanks for the suggestions... I also thinking maybe the problem is the power adapter.. I'm the only one that's using MBA here on my workplace.. Right now It doesn't charge the battery.. I'll just try to charge it with different power adapter since the adapter that the seller gave me have little scratches on the wire and just covered with tape.. I bought it for 15k.

6. makintosh

makintosh Active Member

Not that bad for 15k as long as you can still use it. Much better if its fixable without going through a logic board replacement. Maybe you can drop by any store that sells apple products and ask them to test a power adapter first. Hope it's all that's needed to solve the problem.

7. iamgerwin

iamgerwin New Member

Yup, Hope there's no problem on its logic board, the seller forwarded to me the technician that told him they could fix it for 2 days by replacing its power IC. I'll post an update how much will be the cost on fixing the laptop. Thanks!