Possible to get a new or refurbished MBP 13" 2015 or older?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Turntables, Oct 12, 2018.

1. Turntables

Turntables New Member

I use a macbook air for work and its okay for my work but kinda wanna buy my own. They say pro is better worth for your money than air so i'll get that.

Problem is, i dont like the new macbook pro at all. No regular usb ports and no magsafe. Keyboard feels weird too. Why would i pay a lot for something i dont fully like.

Anyone know any stores or a person who still has a new mbp from 2015 or older? Really dont wanna risk buying a used one.

2. makintosh

makintosh Active Member

Saw a store in San Juan named OpenPinoy that sells older MBPs with USB ports and magsafe and without the butterfly keyboard. They are priced close to the newer models sold in Greenhills.

I haven’t seen locally available apple refurbished units but see a lot of used ones and some refurbished that will be coming from abroad.

Turntables likes this.
  3. Turntables

Turntables New Member

Thank you! Ill check that out.

Yes they dont have refurbished here either for macs. We only have for iphones.

Wait the old mac is priced like the new mac? Would you say its a bad investment to buy an old mac with that price? Im sure 2015 isnt that old?

4. makintosh

makintosh Active Member

Not exactly the same but just a few thousand less. Value wise, I think it's a personal choice if he or she values the ports and features more on the older models. One more advantage I can think of for the older models is their repairability and availability of parts.

I myself just got a 2017 13" non-touchbar MBP. The keyboard is something I got used to after a month of use. I miss the USB ports especially when I want to use my favorite wired mouse or need to transfer files to USB drives and also when I need to use my printers.

Turntables likes this.
  5. hitme64

hitme64 PhilMUG Addict Member

^But why get an older one when you can actually save more with a newer one, let's say 2017 models?

Besides, you won't have to worry about replacement parts for older models if you're actually using the newer ones, will you?

Turntables likes this.
  6. Turntables

Turntables New Member

But I will still get to used the 2015 mbp, say 5 years more?

Thats what worries me. Theres a LOT of things to think about when you bring your laptop. The point of it is portability and everything is already there. BUT for the new ones, I have to bring an adapter for my usb! Thats so counter-productive. And oh I forgot about printers too. Im sure most people here still use old printers. How can I print with ease!?

Would I be needing to replace my parts though? Or at least for now? Im sure its still useable for at least 3-4 years right?

Called them just now. They dont have old ones anymore :(

Please someone post here if you guys saw old macbooks so I can call them.

#6 Turntables, Oct 13, 2018 at 12:17 PM
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2018 at 12:23 PM
  7. LeoCastillo

LeoCastillo Maestro
    Staff Member

I used to have a souped up 2012 MBP with SSD and 16GB RAM. I tend to upgrade every 3 years but when the new Touch Bar based MBPs came out, I found them grossly expensive I delayed the purchase. I was later able to find a great deal on a brand new 2016 MBP with the USB-C ports and the butterfly keyboard (it had 2TB SSD and 16GB RAM!)

How did I adjust? Strangely, the new butterfly keyboard worked well for me. It was weird at first, then it grew on me. Went I went back to typing in the 2011 MBP it felt mushy and too much travel na.

For the USB ports, I've actually learned to appreciate it. I do a lot of presentations in my line of work and it's great to be able to plug in power and the video adapter from either side of the laptop. There are many inexpensive hubs that looks nice and give you all the ports you need (My particular one is the Dodocool, which attaches flush to the side of your Macbook).

Now that I've moved to the new one, I don't miss anything at all. The retina screen, the speed, the lightness was all worth the upgrade. I've found the USB-C ports and the keyboards didn't really bug me at all.

But that's my experience. Maybe what I'm saying is give it a chance and see, for me I've learned to love the differences.

Leo

P.S. For the printers, most new printers now have wi-fi function. I barely connect to printers to USB the last 3 years, even with my old laptop.

makintosh, hitme64 and Turntables like this.
  8. Turntables

Turntables New Member

Thank you for sharing your story lol

I understand that every person has different experiences and Im that "dont knock it til you try it" guy. But Im just really scared of those bad reviews. I actually just called another store and I feel like theres a -1% chance of me getting a new macbook pro 2015 or older. Last resort is to buy 2nd hand. (but if i do consider buying used, where is the safest to buy?)

I still wont give up though. I'll wait for someone to reply here maybe they can help me out.

9. Dekra

Dekra PhilMUG Addict Member

I have a 2015 rMBP and I still like it a lot. I don't feel the need to upgrade based on my current usage.

10. ice

ice PhilMUG Addict Member

I remember seeing an article once about Apple products...

You adjust your life to use it... Not the other way around. Sooner or later, you'll use Apple's "butterfly keyboard" and use USB-C. Why not start using it now?

As for refurbished 2015 MBPs...

For Apple SG... It's rare, but sometimes you can see 1 or 2...
    https://www.apple.com/sg/shop/browse/home/specialdeals/mac

jologs and gogetit like this.
  11. jologs

jologs Member

Agreed. I actually went through the "dongle hell" and Windows features missing from MacOS phase. I had to spend some money on USB-C hubs, cables, flash drives as well as a few software utilities and a keyboard protector though. lol

12. Turntables

Turntables New Member

Okay i found a 2015 mbp at the mall and its new. Specs are 2.6ghz/16gb/256gb flash storage.

Its 65k. But turns out its mid2014 cause i checked the serial number.

Should i buy it?

13. makintosh

makintosh Active Member

Its a tad more expensive than the 2017 model I got. But I think its ok considering this is a hard to find item nowadays. The 16gb ram and 256 storage are sweets spots.

Turntables likes this.
  14. Turntables

Turntables New Member

By how much? And does it have the same specs too? I honestly thought it was a 2015 model cause they told me that it was. I was gonna buy it if it was a 2015. Would you say Im burning my money? I have til sunday to decide :(

15. makintosh

makintosh Active Member

Got mine for 500 less. Decision is all up to you. But, if I was in your shoes and really hate the newer models, I'd probably go for it.

Mine only has 8gb RAM and 128gb SSD. I don't really need bigger storage although its kinda nice to have. But I would have opted for 16gb RAM since I run a Windows virtual machine. All my computers including the Windows ones have 16gb except for this one. The 16gb variant was only available on special order basis and I had to wait for a couple of weeks for it.

As long as it new and unused and with the usual warranty I'd say it's ok. Or if you can wait there's news of an upcoming event at the end of the month where new and cheaper macbooks or macbook airs may be announced. Who knows, they may retain the USB ports and keyboard for the refreshed air. :D

#15 makintosh, Oct 19, 2018 at 12:16 AM
    Last edited: Oct 19, 2018 at 12:34 AM
    Turntables likes this.
  16. Turntables

Turntables New Member

Someone else said its worth the money considering the specs. So i guess that made me feel a bit better. I really hate the new macs but i keep on thinking that newer=better which im sure is wrong.

Nah i dont think ill get an air. And that mbp is reserved to me only til sunday. I think i might buy it tomorrow. Or ill wait for more inputs.