Popcorn Hour - Alternative to APPLE TV

Discussion in 'Third party hardware, software and accessories' started by devedge, Jun 10, 2008.

1. devedge

devedge Account Suspended
    ERASED FROM EXISTENCE

Just want to get your opinion on this new gadget. Base on its specs its much like the Apple TV or even better. Unlike the Apple TV it can play HD movies and different formats aside from "Apple's" (selfish) files. What do you guys think?

#1 devedge, Jun 10, 2008
    Last edited: Jun 10, 2008
  2. rbenzon

rbenzon Super
    Staff Member

no wifi? bummer.

if i were you, i'd wait for it to come out. besides, this and apple tv are like, well, apples and lemons. ;)

can this device surf youtube, or my .mac galleries, or flickr? can it download hd podcasts? what can this thing do without relying on a pc or another device?

i wanted simplicity, peace of mind, and oneness with my macness, so i went with apple tv. no regrets whatsoever.

3. parc

parc Member

just bought this one last week..saw this one on another forum..i think its a good device since its already all in one...

@rbenzon
    yes i think it can surf youtube, flickr, apple trailers and a lot more..
    it comes with a bittorrent downloader na and you can stream files from your pc

if philmug would allow me to post screenshots here?
    can i just copy and paste the screenshots i got from the other pinoy forum?

#3 parc, Jun 10, 2008
    Last edited: Jun 10, 2008
  4. Mocha.Frap

Mocha.Frap Active Member

It's a good device but its a bummer that you can't put the videos directly from a video cam into this device.( or can it?) Can anyone enlighten me on this?:D

5. devedge

devedge Account Suspended
    ERASED FROM EXISTENCE

Thank you guys for the reply! I'll be testing the product this week, i'll keep you posted :)

6. parc

parc Member

@mocha.frap : i haven't tried that yet..what's your video cam ba? is it HDD? or dvd-cam?

i'll post the screenshots from the other forum hope that moderator won't ban me..just want to enlighten the other members here with the product i just bought..

7. parc

parc Member

here are the screenshots..

this is the actual product
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

LOST at 720p

[​IMG]

Media Service Portal, actually i haven't tried all of the features hehe..
    [​IMG]

YouTube
    [​IMG]
    Shoutcast (FM Radio)
    [​IMG]

I Am Legend 720p
    [​IMG]

Main Menu for me its very easy to browse..
    [​IMG]

From Flickr

[​IMG]

8. parc

parc Member

@devedge let me know if you have the item this weekend and lets share some infos..thanks!

this is what i liked the most, bittorrent downloader which can save electricity compared to my PC which is around 550watts

[​IMG]

very useful link..Apple Trailers directly from the player

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

NBA TV
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

iPodcast
    [​IMG]

9. parc

parc Member

NBA Final ESPN HD 720p
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. Kenneth

Kenneth Moderator

is this locally available already? how much? Have you enountered a video file which it can't play yet?

11. parc

parc Member

yes bought it last week from another pinoy forum..i can give you his contact no..or i can tell him to join this forum..so far wala pa naman it can play divx, mkv, h264 or mov actually lahat..i'm very satisfied with this product, no codec needed :)

12. Bulakbol

Bulakbol Active Member

Yeah, how much is it? It doesn't have wifi no?

13. yoh_hectic

yoh_hectic PhilMUG Addict Member

Where did you buy it and for how much? I could imagine myself sticking my unused 500GB PATA drive to good use with this. :)

14. parc

parc Member

bought it 14,500 less 10% kaso until june 21 lng dw..i already asked him if i can give his no. ok lng dw..can i post contact nos. here? bka kasi mamaya maban ako hehe..

it doesn't have wifi..but i already tried streaming from my PC going to the the popcorn hour..so far no problem at all..no lag or stutter..2loy 2loy lng sya..kasi if ever wifi bka magkaproblem lng sa signal :)

@you_hectic

good for you..ako i'm just using my old ide hard disk for bittorrent purposes and streaming most of my movies from my pc which is on the other room and sometimes using my flash disk :)

15. bacchus_3

bacchus_3 PhilMUG Addict Member

wow! What I like about this is the bitorrent client built-in. And plays like VLC too! Info naman on pricing and availability...

Edit: ayun nalagay na ni sir parc ang price. Any additional link with product specs? La akong nakirang URL and puro photos lang. Is the TV the unit itself or parang apple tv cube din sya?

#15 bacchus_3, Jun 11, 2008
    Last edited: Jun 11, 2008
  16. Kenneth

Kenneth Moderator

thanks parc. I'm very interested. Particularly that it can read MKV files. But don't post his no.

Just send it to those who PM privately.

more info about this product
    http://www.popcornhour.com/

#16 Kenneth, Jun 11, 2008
    Last edited: Jun 11, 2008
  17. parc

parc Member

ito yung specs niya copy paste ko lng sa kbilang forum..

[​IMG]

18. Bulakbol

Bulakbol Active Member

What's the major difference between this and Apple TV aside from Popcorn Hour not having wifi? I'm not sure about this but can we play movies that are downloaded from somewhere else in Apple TV?

19. parc

parc Member

ok no problem..yup yun din habol ko kaysa sa htpc which is much more expensive..and before i'm using my pc for 1080p or 720p files and it always lag or out of sync..that's why i bought this para hassle free na just transfer the files or stream it ok na so far satisfied naman ako

20. parc

parc Member

i really haven't use the AppleTV maybe you could ask devedge kung nakagamit na siya..but i think apple tv doesn't play any mkv files right? yes of course, sa akin so far i've tried playing divx, mov, mkv actually almost lahat naman naplaplay niya..any to*r*nt sites will be able to play the files..