Polio Vaccine Certification for all travellers in and out of PHilippines

Discussion in 'Travel' started by dasaint, Oct 10, 2019.

1. zagu

zagu Well-Known Member

im going to the US this thursday. and my cousin from the US just texted me about this... so how do i go about with this... also im not in manila! hahaha such a bummer!

2. hitme64

hitme64 PhilMUG Addict Member

My wife left me yesterday, I mean, left for the US and she wasn’t asked about the international certificate. She’ll be arriving today so I’ll ask her if there are any issues at Washington Dulles International.

She said all those who were traveling with her weren’t hassled for any certificate (polio, diphtheria, meningococemia, STD) so I guess it’s okay. For now.

Juice, zagu, Dekra and 1 other person like this.
  3. Mykolant

Mykolant PhilMUG Addict Member

Between Down Under and the Great White North
    I remember those polio vaccines given to us during class when i was in grade school. They came in the form of a sugar cube, if I remember correctly. I think that was also around 1974. One time it also came in a small brown glass bottle and they used a dropper to administer the liquid onto our tongues.

Of course, they didn't give us any documentation on the kind of vaccine given, much more a lot number nor name of administering medical professional.

hitme64 likes this.
  4. hitme64

^We actually never asked what they were for, or our parents for that matter. Now I cringe at the thought if it were some sterilization dosage to stop overpopulation :LOL:

But thank God we got our vaccinations then, polio, diphtheria, meningitis, etc. even before we hit puberty so it did nothing to our hormones. Well, thank God for that, too.

Mykolant likes this.
  5. Mykolant

Mykolant PhilMUG Addict Member

Between Down Under and the Great White North
    Oo nga! But i believe the school sent out a reply slip that parents need to sign to agree to letting their kids receive vaccinations in school. Anyway, good thing that kinda protected most of our generation from various fatal illnesses. It would have been better if they just injected us with the Super Soldier Serum... dream on...

raypin and hitme64 like this.
  6. ransom

ransom PhilMUG Addict Member

Came upon this thread just before flying out to Frankfurt and got a bit concerned about whether I'd run into any problems. Told my wife who's an MD, and she made a few calls to her colleagues in the DOH who said I had nothing to worry about. Sure enough, everything went smoothly at NAIA and all other airports.

zagu and hitme64 like this.
  7. zagu

zagu Well-Known Member

Thanks for the REPLY! :)

8. hitme64

There’s no problem actually for us when going out country; it’s with the country we’re going into where we might encounter issues later on. So far, ports of entry like JFK in New York, Dulles in DC and SF International, all in the USA, are not asking any questions about it. I don’t know about Europe or even Southeast Asian countries if they will impose any health restrictions. Be aware that the DOH advisory is merely a reference to assist travelers where and when they are asked about their polio vaccinations. It’s our choice if we want to be issued certifications for that matter, or not.

dasaint likes this.
  9. bus

bus Member

Just arrived here last Friday from Manila. No problem encountered, Customs and Immigration personnel waved us through at LAX.

If they do ask, I honestly could not remember when I got the vaccine as a child in Philippines. I'm not even sure if I got a booster shot (but i know I've had lots and lots of vaccines and shots for a lot of things while in the military).

10. Adarna

Adarna Well-Known Member

I hope this thread does not attract non-Apple sign ups to Philmug like the passport damage thread

Qin Zhi and raypin like this.
  11. hitme64

^We leave it to the moderators to do just that. It’s the information we get from this thread that is vital, and so does the HK thread, and the MM traffic thread. We don’t make those decisions here.

12. dasaint

dasaint PhilMUG Addict Member

Just came thru in Japan no problems encountered both Philippine or Japan side but I had my yellow card on hand just in case.

ronjet and raypin like this.
  13. dasaint

Agree right now its advisory. DOH is the only who can issue a travel advisory in and out of the Philippines. However, since WHO recognized that there is a polio outbreak in the Philippines . , They can change their own advisory to something more restrictive if a number of new polio cases breakout especially that poliovirus has been detected in sewage in Manila and waterway in Davao (https://www.who.int/csr/don/24-september-2019-polio-outbreak-the-philippines/en/) .

Then the other countries (your destination) may also suddenly impose more restrictive quartine policies as they depend on WHO bulletins or alerts. So I suggest you check the country of your destination. If you feel its a hassle then dont get one . But if you travel alot or an OFW get one since its a small investment for a peace of mind traveling .

When I went to Japan nobody asked for it both Philippine or Japan but then again if someone did, I will have no issue.

ronjet and raypin like this.
  14. raypin

raypin PhilMUG Addict Member

Mm....yup. It is not a big deal to check for all advisories from countries we intend to visit since most of us plan our overseas travel months in advance. There is no excuse not to check. Not even laziness....

jhonas015, ronjet and dasaint like this.
  15. hitme64

Travel agents should’ve forewarned its clients already if this were mandatory. It’s not. We bought our tickets long before the advisory. They would’ve informed us already by convention from their mother association. But no, no such thing from them until now.

Tuloy-tuloy ang biyahe.

ronjet likes this.
  16. dasaint

So it begins

Attached Files:

17. ronjet

ronjet PhilMUG Addict Member

^everyone who came from the Philippines upon entry to their country without the certificate on hand as evidence will most likely get it there.

18. hitme64

^En route to the US this weekend. No certificate needed. Good luck to all. (y)

19. penmanila

penmanila The Pinoy Penman
    Staff Member

I've been here in the US for three weeks now and even flew back to Singapore last week for a meeting then back here--no fuss, not even warning notices, about polio at all. Methinks this is all overblown, travel-wise (although it's a serious concern, medically, for us Filipinos). Until I looked into this thread again I'd forgotten all about it (the travel scare).

dasaint, Juice, ronjet and 1 other person like this.
  20. hitme64

You’ve missed a lot of action lately Butch. The national security situation in this country has never been as tense as it is now with the feud among the Barrettos. World War III na :LOL:

A couple friend left for Serbia last week without being asked any certificate, and so did my wife two weeks ago. Am leaving this Saturday for the US armed only with my wits and a 4-day bag.

Qin Zhi, penmanila and raypin like this.