Polio Vaccine Certification for all travellers in and out of PHilippines

Discussion in 'Travel' started by dasaint, Oct 10, 2019.

1. dasaint

dasaint PhilMUG Addict Member

Heads up !

[​IMG]

This is going to be a huge hassle to everyone as stand-alone OPV is rare.
    Plus no matter where you get your vaccine you need to get the certification from BOQ.
    Does anyone know if this currently being enforced I am flying out this weekend.

Attached Files:

bugs likes this.
  2. rabby

rabby Well-Known Member

can't view the full size image? any news link I can refer to also? thanks :)

3. antski

antski Well-Known Member

authenticity of that one is suspect.

4. raypin

raypin PhilMUG Addict Member

Mm....the official webpage of the BOQ makes no mention of that. Besides, why would such a very important annoucement or policy be signed by a mere director based in the port area Manila? It is not even on the homepage of the DOH (BOQ is under it).

Edit: okay, there’s one:

https://www.doh.gov.ph/node/5868

No advisory by the Bureau of Immigration and by NAIA authority.

#4 raypin, Oct 10, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2019
  5. Aargh

Aargh Well-Known Member

Unless someone can actually validate the authenticity of this. I highly suggest to lock and even delete this thread.

6. dasaint

I think thats the reason why asked to back check. But I already called some doctors in Public health yes there is a memo. If you know anyone both in the medical field they would have heard about

. A friend of mine in the pharma has already received a tremendous amount of inquiry, unfortunately, NO stock for stand-alone vaccine, especially for adults.

I have uploaded the newest bulletin signed by a USEC . I have an acquaintance who was asked for a vaccination card flying to Indonesia this week by Indonesian authorities.

As we have been flagged already by the CDC .

https://wwwnc.cdc.gov/travel/notices/alert/polio-philippines

Attached Files:

7. dasaint

Updated

https://www.doh.gov.ph/advisories/Polio-Vaccination-for-Travelers-coming-to-the-Philippines

raypin likes this.
  8. penmanila

penmanila The Pinoy Penman
    Staff Member

Seems like another poorly conceived (though well-intentioned) and, at the moment, unenforceable regulation. Can you imagine thousands of passengers at NAIA held up because they don't have immunization certificates to show? The DOH memo, if you read it closely, appears to be simply recommendatory at this point. So it's more confusing when people take it as mandatory.

rbenzon, ronjet and raypin like this.
  9. hitme64

hitme64 PhilMUG Addict Member

I’m not a doctor so I apologize if it’s a mistake but I am sure that the polio vaccine is only available for children below 8 years of age because these are the years they are most vulnerable to this disease. So unless you were not vaccinated (orally if I remember) for polio during elementary school days (I am sure I did during the ML era) then there is no way as an adult you can still be cured for polio since there is no cure for it. My sister-in-law who works at DOH says she has not heard of any adult polio vaccine or its availability, just the one for children. She also is verifying if such memo has been issued expressly by DOH and what are its particulars so stay tuned.

Edit: It appears to be a memorandum addressed to the Secretary DOH requesting to publish an advisory for Travellers in and out of the country, which remains unsigned as of the moment. Pinangunahan na ng isang matikas na empleyeado.

#9 hitme64, Oct 10, 2019
    h2obaby, rbenzon and ronjet like this.
  10. dasaint

Thanks sir again for the update.

I am heading out of the country this weekend thats why I am concerned. As if a super typhoon was not enough :p

Edited : Actually there is supposed to be no adult vaccine on the premise that everyone is already vaccinated . However pharma is releasing an adult version due to the demand and to protect health workers. I asked my friend of the pharma who going to release it.

#10 dasaint, Oct 10, 2019
    ronjet likes this.
  11. hitme64

I think of more concern is DOH’s advisory that to date, around 2 to 3 million Filipinos have serious mental illness, and that around 14-15 million have experienced some form of mental illness or incapacity.

(Mic drop)

Kaya pala, kaliwa’t kanan minsan walang kausap mga katabi ko panay lang salita sa sarili.

ronjet, raypin and dasaint like this.
  12. raypin

Mm...I checked HK immigration. No mention of polio vaccination requirement for Filipinos entering HK. Guess I m good to go next week.

imo, it is overacting. Just one confirmed case of polio in Lanao del whatever this Sept. in a country of 100 million? Sheesh!

#12 raypin, Oct 10, 2019
    ronjet and dasaint like this.
  13. eag

eag Well-Known Member

14. ronjet

ronjet PhilMUG Addict Member

Baga maging parang Dengvaxia yan. This time for adult naman.

15. dasaint

Just an update from someone with DOH they are pulling the advisory as they have been swamped by inquiries and clarification. Their polio team are still meeting .

16. raypin

Mm..eh di irequire nila mga taga lanao na kumuha ng polio vaccination.

One case and they are going to cause hundreds of millions of pesos of additional expense from Filipinos travelling abroad? Di makatarungan yan. Kabobohan yan ng DOH.

Bigyan nila pansin yung dengue and measles with tens of thousands of recorded cases.

17. hitme64

We’ve just been told that we are required to secure certificates of polio immunization, either OPV or IPV, from DOH as an attachment of our passport when we travel out of the country. The requirement for such comes from the WHO for Filipinos traveling out of a “polio-stricken” country to be certified to have taken said vaccine as a precaution for transmission of said disease. Since the Philippines has its first few cases of polio, we have been identified as a carrier country, hence, the requirement.

18. wingatu

wingatu Active Member

Is this for traveling to Canada? [​IMG]

19. rbenzon

rbenzon Super
    Staff Member

WTF? Where does one secure such certificates, at the Manila Polio Club? :D

Sa madaling salita, kahit wala kang polio, pilay ang mga lakad mo abroad. :rolleyes:

Hack: A person who's had polio can have post-polio syndrome, but that is not contagious. So walk thru immigration with a limp. ;)

Sunil_K, Juice, bowser and 1 other person like this.
  20. Theus

Theus PhilMUG Addict Member

watda. We leave for Osaka this month. Now we have to look for our kids’ baby books to prove vaccination? good luck to us as they’re all teens now (n)

raypin likes this.