Pocket Wifi Rental in the US

Discussion in 'Travel' started by theadvocate_ivan, Mar 26, 2017.

1. theadvocate_ivan

Hi,

Anybody knows a reliable pocket wifi rental similar to those available in Hongkong and Japan?

I have used a US sim card in the past. Judt ondering if there is such service so there wouldn't be any need to bring a second phone.

Appreciate your thoughs. Thanks!

2. yoh_hectic

yoh_hectic PhilMUG Addict Member

3. ricocamus

ricocamus Member

feaRLesS likes this.
  4. macxchange

macxchange Well-Known Member

You can buy a LTE pocket wifi at T-Mobile without contract and it comes with 3 month data plan for 80USD. But there's a 15GB monthly cap.

5. cRane01

cRane01 New Member

We have a pocket wifi on-hand and we will just get a prepaid sim from T-mobile as suggested with my officemate, it's much cheaper. Not sure, if it depends on the state.

You can also check myPAL roam from Philippine Airlines.

https://roam.philippineairlines.com

6. andyled

andyled Member

Just make sure the pocket wifi you bring to the US can connect to T-mobile's LTE bands 2,4,12.

The Huawei LTE pocket wifi I brought in the US last year could only connect to T-mobile's slower GSM and HSDPA networks.

7. BogeeZR

BogeeZR New Member

I've used http://www.daypasswireless.com/
    The rental rate per day gets lower the longer you stay. They had the lowest rates (in all my searches at least) and will deliver to your US address so it's there when you arrive. You can choose which provider you want to use depending on the area you will travel to. The providers' websites show their coverage. I chose Sprint because it had unlimited data service. It comes with a pre-paid addressed Jiffy pack so all you have to do is leave it for the post man before you leave. Customer service was also efficient - they replied to emails quickly - and I was quickly able to add days to the service toward the end of my trip. I used it in LA, SD, SF and LV with no issues except for when we were on the desert freeways and were surrounded by mountains.

Attached Files:

8. Leon21

Leon21 Active Member

Just to piggyback on this thread:

I'll be in LA/Palm Springs then Chicago. I'm inclined to go with T-Mobile again but do other carriers have superior coverage/speed in the places I'll be in? Far as I can tell, it's only AT&T that offers an alternative as far as GSM iPhones go.

9. cRane01

cRane01 New Member

T-mobile works fine with the Huawei portable wifi that we bought in the Philippines, though it's only 3G the signal is very good. Also, the tourist sim only works for phone, so we get a diffent sim which is around $30 inclusive of 3GB data that is good for a month.

10. alikishi

alikishi Well-Known Member

If I'll be in the US for 7 weeks, then getting a prepaid sim card is the best way to go right?

11. feaRLesS

feaRLesS Member