Pocket Wifi Devices (m

Discussion in 'Other hardware discussions' started by rflores, Nov 21, 2013.

1. rflores

rflores Well-Known Member

While searching for the pocket wifi device to buy, I realize we don't seem to have a unified thread discussing these devices in general. If we can have this thread to discuss the latest of these devices in the market and all tips we can share about them in general. Let me start with some of my questions:

• What pocket wifi device do you use?
    • Where did you score them and how much?
    • Which is generally a better brand in this product category?
    • Have you tried accessories (i.e. Antenna) for it and does it work?
    • We currently have a device that peaks 150mbps available in the market. If the places I frequent still only has up to 10 mbps, will I be fine with a device that peaks 21mbps? Will both devices provide me similar speeds or is the more expensive, more "capable" one do better?

2. neilrg

neilrg Well-Known Member

I'm certain that many people here already use their data plans that's why we don't see a lot of mobile Wi-Fi threads here. But to answer your questions...

I use a Huawei E5776 mobile Wi-Fi from Globe. Got it for P4,995 on prepaid. This is a Category 4 LTE device which theoretically supports 150Mbps. It's actually quite a good deal already since this particular model sells for several thousand pesos more unlocked (though I managed to unlock mine at no cost :D).

3. rflores

message me how! (i think its allowed to talk about it here)

4. Yagbolz

Yagbolz Well-Known Member

Or try Smart's Huawei E5372.. Only P4,888 and it works great!

5. rflores

There you go. That's the reason I am asking. One uses e5776 and another uses e5372, while they are different esp in terms of size, price and battery, they both are LTE. Will that actually matter say for example I frequent places that can only reach up to 5mpbs?

6. Yagbolz

Depends on your location.. Where are you located at?

7. neilrg

neilrg Well-Known Member

The E5372 is a Cat 4 LTE device too (if future-proofing is the matter), but it has a much much smaller 1780mAh battery compared to 3000mAh on E5776. :D It has two external antennas though whereas the E5776 only has one.

EDIT: Regarding the speed, it would really depend on the network and not on the device, so there should be no difference.

8. loudsound

loudsound Well-Known Member

Been looking for a thread discussion like this dedicated to pocket wifi. Even though my 4S can connect to 3G, it drains my battery faster even at an hours use. How long does your pocket wifi last in a day? Can it stay ALWAYS ON for the whole day before its battery drains?

9. Yagbolz

^^In my experience, Smart's Huawei E5372 can last up to 4hrs.. Mainly for downloading torrents and browsing..

10. neilrg

neilrg Well-Known Member

My E5776 lasts about 8-10 hours on moderate 3G/LTE use. I pair it with my iPad mini and 5s mostly when I'm not at home for the same reason. Haha. I think it can easily last 12-18 hours if you use it only for browsing and Facebook, Twitter, and the likes. It has a really great standby time.

11. loudsound

cool, thanks for the responses guys. is the LTE signal strong in the Metro or its just in Makati? my office is in Mandaluyong and I'd like to bring it with me at work and connect my 4S and iPad mini to it.

12. neilrg

neilrg Well-Known Member

LTE on both telcos is almost everywhere na in the metro. To give you a rough idea on coverage, both Smart and Globe have LTE in Novaliches, QC.

13. Yagbolz

Smart is good in Makati.. Globe have LTE connection too but it's a lot slower than Smart as my officemates been complaining..

14. loudsound

one more, so I can have an LTE pocket wifi and only wifi capable iDevices correct? they should be able to pair properly and without compatibility issues.

already subscribed to this thread. will read some more stuffs on this and hope to purchase one soon.

15. neilrg

neilrg Well-Known Member

^Yes, you can use it with WiFi-only devices like iPads and iPod touhces.

Tip: There is an app for quickly managing you mobile WiFi right on your iOS or Android device. App Store / Play Store

16. Marianne

Marianne Member

^thanks for the tip! I monitor via web browser but I'm interested in this app :)

17. Marianne

Marianne Member

I can't seem to send SMS via ios app. Is there a way to do it?

18. chizbol

chizbol Member

You can't. Only through web interface

19. Nathan Jonah

Nathan Jonah Member

E5220 by HUAWEI, I'm using 3G network all the time (rare to get 4G speeds, wouldn't ping on my unit), and you get the unit for PHP2,895 (from Globe).

20. Marianne

Marianne Member

You can get an unlocked e5220 nowadays for P2,500 at pcexpress :)