Pls recommend good and affordable NAS for home use

Discussion in 'Other hardware discussions' started by Alucard, Jul 3, 2013.

1. Dgame12345

Dgame12345 Active Member

Lastly, if i transfer my photos and videos to this nas, will it transfer the original copy of the file to the nas?

then what is the meaining of play content over http?

2. Dgame12345

Dgame12345 Active Member

Which one is better photo apps? Moments or Photo station?

If I mirror all the photos I upload on moments and photo station, will it also eat double the storage drive?
    Let say I upload 10gb of photos on moments then I mirror it on photo station, so overall will will it take 20gb on my storage?

3. emilpowers

emilpowers Account Suspended
    ERASED FROM EXISTENCE

I recommend you find someone who has skills in software development.

4. Dgame12345

Dgame12345 Active Member

do you guys turn on your nas 24/7 or you turn it off at night/ certain time?

5. pepspeps

pepspeps Active Member

I don't turn off my NAS unless I need to clean it, which is once a year. Needs to be always available as I have all of my media and photos backed up there.

6. oj88

oj88 PhilMUG Addict Member

Always on.

Beyond the fact that I want it to be available anytime I need it, I also have backup jobs across several PCs running in the middle of the night.

But everyone has their own use cases. You'll just have to work it out yourself between these parameters:

1. Availability - Do you or some automated jobs rely on it being up 24x7?
    2. Power consumption - How much are you willing to pay for electricity to keep it running?
    3. Thermal cycling - Frequently switching it on and off can have a detrimental effect on components, especially HDDs

pepspeps, max_Moon and Roman like this.
  7. max_Moon

max_Moon Active Member

24/7 for my NAS. I prefer to have the data accessible at any given time. Not to mention, booting up the DS1819+ NAS takes ages, particularly after upgrading the RAM from 4GB non-ECC to 16GB ECC.

I have scheduled the tasks for the the local backups, cloud backups, updates, downloads, etc. to run during sleeping hours.

8. fcdiesta

fcdiesta PhilMUG Addict Member

24/7 for my two NASes as well. If your concern is longevity or disk spin cycles, I guess you can set your disks/system to sleep after a specified period of inactivity.

9. Dgame12345

Dgame12345 Active Member

Thanks, for all your feedback...
    Anyway another thing, I just bought a ds 220j, i started just using one bay, if someday i want to add another bay and use it for RAID1, do i need to reformat my current hdd?

Also, regarding the fan cycle, do you guys just use the quiet mode all the time, or you always put it on cool mode or even full speed mode?
    Sorry just new to this kind of device :) So any recommendation and suggestion on how to utilize this device property will be helpful to me.

10. oj88

Nope. It should be able to convert it to RAID1 on the fly. Look here: https://www.synology.com/en-us/know.../StorageManager/storage_pool_change_raid_type

For this one, it depends on your environment temps. Start with Quiet Mode and monitor the drive and the NAS internal temps whether or not they're still within acceptable range. Adjust the fan speed accordingly. If you want to be on the safe side, select Cool or Full speed mode.

It would've been much better if they included a way to change the fan curve.

11. Dgame12345

Dgame12345 Active Member

Hi po, so regarding adding a new HDD on my 2nd bay on my synology ds 220j, clarify ko lang no need to reformat or my files there will not be erased when I get another hdd? Kasi po medyo naguguluhan ako, I try reading some articles they say needs to reformat, so medyo confuse lang po ako hehe

12. oj88

Everything is in the link I provided. It says that converting from Basic to RAID1 is possible. There are no mention of data loss by doing so.

Only the NEW disk will be wiped out before being added to the storage pool. (See note on Step 5 below).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

That said, it is best practice to backup your data before conducting major activities such as migrating your data to RAID1. Even if the process itself is flawless, any interruption beyond your control or the NAS while the drives are resilvering can be a potential for data loss.

zagu and Dgame12345 like this.
  13. Dgame12345

Dgame12345 Active Member

How can i acess my videos on my synology outside my local network?

cause i used quick connect when im not at home but i can only view all photos, when it comes to video it having an error messgae…

14. oj88

^ You should never expose your NAS to the Internet.

A better approach is to setup a VPN to your home and then access your NAS like you were on the same network.

15. Dgame12345

Dgame12345 Active Member

So you mean if ever i will used quick connect need to use a vpn? Any recommended vpn for using nas?

of how about using 2 factor authentication?

how about port forwarding is that safer than quick connect?

16. oj88

From your remote device, you typically VPN to your router (ie. OpenVPN, Wireguard, IPSec, etc.) and access your NAS directly. With that in place, there's no need to use QC or do port-forwarding.

Just a recommendation.

Dgame12345 likes this.
  17. lamski

lamski PhilMUG Addict Member

Agree with oj88, don't expose your NAS to the internet. There was a recent global ransomware attack on NAS devices e.g. QNAP that would put your data in encrypted zip files and demand that you pay 0.01 bitcoin to get the decryption password.

18. John cid 42

John cid 42 New Member

if you will just use it personally and just to store your photos, videos and some documents, just disconnect it to the quick connect and or also another option is to disbale the admin user on the setting..

So basically you will just use your nas via lan network only…