Pls recommend good and affordable NAS for home use

Discussion in 'Other hardware discussions' started by Alucard, Jul 3, 2013.

1. oj88

oj88 PhilMUG Addict Member

Well, you said you were curious. It's really up to you.

If you don't have time to build one, you're the wrong crowd for a DIY NAS. You'll be better off with a commercially-available NAS. They still have their place.

But I'm a tinkerer and I have gobs of data to store. I realized that I can spend the money saved from a Synology or Qnap for more HDD storage capacity, using repurposed hardware and still come out ahead of those commercial NAS in terms of features, scalability, and capabilities.

This is my TrueNAS torture/test bed.
    [​IMG]

#541 oj88, Apr 10, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2021
  2. zagu

zagu Well-Known Member

anyone using synology DS220j? how is it?

3. legato

legato Member

DS220j is the budget Synology NAS option.
    It may or may not get the job done for your use case, i.e. multiple computers and users.

Consider the DS220+. It's the safe option as it has "more" power and headroom as it uses Intel processors.

zagu likes this.
  4. zagu

zagu Well-Known Member

thanks! been checking yes the J series is fine but to be on the safe side people are suggesting the 220+

5. Dgame12345

Dgame12345 Active Member

which one is better option?
    synology ds 220j or wd my cloudhome?

primary use is to stored my photos and videos of the whole family...
    and also from time to time to use plex to watch some downloaded movies and tv shows?

does both of this device can streak 4k hdr movies?

6. fcdiesta

fcdiesta PhilMUG Addict Member

The "J" in Synology model numbers denotes an entry level device with a slow processor and non-upgradeable RAM, so no, it will not be able to stream 4K. Unfortunately, nor will the WD MyCloud Home.

A good guide for 4K streaming capability is the Plex NAS Compatibility list, which you can view here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...Ac4oOLPRtCkgUxU0jdj3tmMPc/edit#gid=1274624273

7. vincer

vincer Active Member

I recently bought DS220j with 2 x 6 TB Seagate IronWolf disks and it can stream downloaded 4K HDR videos to my Apple TV 4K though via Infuse app.

fcdiesta likes this.
  8. King

King PhilMUG Addict Member

That is interesting... finally a reason for me to get Apple TV once my B6's "smartness" gets abandoned by LG.

9. pepspeps

pepspeps Active Member

Yes this is possible due to the Infuse app is the one decoding the 4k stream, not the DS220j. Which is fine since it works really well. However, there are 2 disadvantages to this setup.

First, some formats may not play unless you pay for the app (Infuse Pro $39.99, I think I got this at $52.99 3 years ago), as well as higher quality audio, AirPlay and playback progress sync on multiple devices are only available on the Pro version.

Second, if you'll be using Infuse in your iPhone/iPad, it will drain the device's battery faster than if it is just reading the stream and not reading/decoding at the same time. But if you're using it solely on Apple TV, then I guess it is fine.

10. Dgame12345

Dgame12345 Active Member

hows the streaming of 4k hdr videos using infuse? is it smooth enough?
    did you still purchase the infuse pro 6 app or just the basic infuse app?
    so its not possible to stream 4k hdr videos using plex on ds 220j?

also as a starter if i might just get one 4tb of seagate for the mean time, then i will just back up all the files on my wd my passport external hard drive, is that possible?

11. vincer

vincer Active Member

Yup, it’s buttery smooth. :D
    I actually have no issues streaming 4K HDR videos even when I was still using WD Cloud before since, as mentioned by pepspeps earlier, Infuse app does the decoding.
    But yeah, I had to purchase Infuse Pro via subscription - Php 249 per year which is not bad, I think.

I haven’t tried streaming using Plex so I can’t say if DS220j is capable in doing that.

And yes, you can start with 1 drive.

Dgame12345 likes this.
  12. Dgame12345

Dgame12345 Active Member

Ok thanks for that info, anyway I might really get this ds 220j but just to be sure I have some more questions about it just to be sure this type of nas fits my needs: ( if ever this would be my 1st nas device, sorry if some of the questions here were raised already before):

1.) Could I upload my photos and video from my iphone to this nas and delete that photos on my iphone (my purpose is to free up space on my iphone)?

2.) Could I import and download a photos/ videos from nas going to the iphone?

3.) I know it can be use by multiple users with multiple device, right? my question there is if we could see all the files that another user upload on its folder or there is like an option that you could only see the file / folder that you uploaded per account?

4.) Since I will be using only one drive to start with, could I use an external hard drive to back up those files that I will also upload on this nas?

5.) For streaming videos, is it possible to stream videos with no issues if that one who will stream it is in another place? Cause i think this kind of a nas to maximize its speed it must be on the same network?

6.) Lastly, about streaming videos, using infuse app, could it play also dolby digital or dts sound quality if ever my source of video is in that format?

13. vincer

vincer Active Member

I’m not a NAS expert but I’ll try to answer your questions based on my short experience with DS220j. :)
    1. Synology DSM has a photos or Moments app that I think functions similarly as Apple’s iCloud Photos. I haven’t tried it though since I have an active iCloud storage subscription.
    2. I think you can via Moments app.
    3. Yes. You can configure which users will have read/write access to which folders.
    4. Yes.
    5. You mean the user is outside the network, right? I haven’t tried this but I think this is possible as long as both ends have good/fast internet connection, but of course limited only to videos that DS220j can decode.
    6. Yes, Infuse supports those formats.

Dgame12345 likes this.
  14. fcdiesta

fcdiesta PhilMUG Addict Member

That's nice to know. I did try Infuse once but did not purchase the paid version. Might try the app again then.

15. zagu

zagu Well-Known Member

just wondering how much are the ironwolf 6TB drives? Thanks

16. vincer

vincer Active Member

I got the 1st one at about USD 190. Then for the 2nd disk, I took advantage of Paymaya’s promo - I think it was 30% off, so I paid only around USD 150. I got them both from Amazon and shipped directly here in Quezon City.
    Local price back then (Feb this year) was around Php 10k+.

17. zagu

zagu Well-Known Member

not bad! hehe ok THANKS!

18. pepspeps

pepspeps Active Member

19. Dgame12345

Dgame12345 Active Member

can i setup synology ds 220j (for the first time) even if just using an iphone?

20. pepspeps

pepspeps Active Member

Yes, as long as the NAS is connected on the same network as your iPhone.

You need to download their DS finder iOS app and the wizard should be pretty easy to follow.