Pls recommend good and affordable NAS for home use

Discussion in 'Other hardware discussions' started by Alucard, Jul 3, 2013.

1. zChris

zChris Active Member

Have you tried creating a new Shared Folder with the recommended permissions, placing some media there to test, and pointing to Plex?

Or have you tried giving Everyone access to the folder at least to test if it is really a permissions issue?

Juice likes this.
  2. Juice

Juice PhilMUG Addict Member
    Supporter

^^^

Ok, I did a similar thing and it worked! I transferred the entire library to a folder with my family videos and it worked! I did have to do the permissions and restart though.

3. Juice

Supporter

Ok, just updating the PLEX problem I had. It was working on and off apparently, but my kids didn't complain so I didn't know it was an on and off issue. I checked and checked, and since we are on lock down, I had all the time to figure it out. But, I only found the problem by accident. I was using Ubiquiti's WiFiman and discovered two identical IP addresses. How did that happen? It was an Amazon Echo insisting it should use the NAS IP. I tried reconnecting the Echo, but it kept using the IP. A fixed IP was the only way aside from doing a hard reset.
    It was like a thorn was plucked form the network. Even the Time Machine backups ran quicker(could be my imagination).

lamski likes this.
  4. oj88

oj88 PhilMUG Addict Member

Good for you!

I'd take a look at your DHCP server for answers.

Anyway, you should have servers, including NAS devices, on reserved IP... if not on static IP with DHCP exclusion. That will prevent other devices from accidentally receiving an address they shouldn't have.

5. Juice

Supporter

Yeah, that's the thing. The Synology is on a fixed IP since it was installed, but it still happened. I was able to do a pending update, and I hope that was included in the DHCP problem. I put all the Echo devices on a fixed IP too just in case.

6. oj88

There are a couple of ways to have a "fixed" IP address and still work with a DHCP-enabled environment:

1. Exclusion: The device is set statically with an IP address, AND that IP address has been excluded from the DHCP pool
    2. Reservation: The device is set to automatically obtain an IP address AND the DHCP server is configured to always issue the same IP address based on MAC address of the said device

Break any of these rules and you're potentially going to have a headache.

Another thing, when you said that you've put all Echo devices on "fixed IP" (which shouldn't be necessary), I would assume you meant method #2 above? If yes, do note that most, if not all, Echo devices are dual-band (2.4 and 5GHz). Each band will have a unique MAC address. In other words, a single Echo device would have two MAC addresses (three, if you include its Bluetooth radio, but not relevant in this case). You may have reserved one MAC address on your DHCP, however, as soon as the Echo crosses over to the other band (may be due to a transient WiFi reception issue or after a restart), it will start identifying itself using its second MAC address and will start acquiring an IP address from the DHCP pool like any normal device, bypassing the reservation you've set.

EDIT: This is usually how dual-band WiFi radios are built; Each radio would have its own MAC address. But I just remembered working on a cheap dual-band IP camera years ago that shared the same MAC address on both bands. I haven't figured out which group the Echo devices belong to. YMMV.

#526 oj88, May 6, 2020
    Last edited: May 6, 2020
  7. Juice

Supporter

Ok got it. I removed the Echo devices with fixed IP. I have the NAS on a fixed IP within the DHCP pool though. Is that going to be a problem? I thought the DHCP server would not give that away automatically. But, if that's not the case, then the 1st option Exclusion should be done correct? Example, DHCP range 192.168.10.10-255, and then put the NAS on 192.168.10.9. Right? Anything between 192.168.10.2-9 is free for me to put fixed IPs?

8. oj88

Yes. The DHCP server only maintains a record of IP/MAC address bindings of those it itself leased. It will not have any knowledge of the NAS being there.

Yes, that's the best way to do it. Exclusions will tell the DHCP server not to use those addresses.

I myself have excluded 1-50 and 251-254 for static devices and left 51-250 (200 devices) for the DHCP server to dish out.

I prefer to organize stuff....
    1-20 - Servers/VMs, NAS, UPSes, and Printer
    21-30 - Spare
    31-40 - APs
    41-50 - LAN Switches
    51-250 - Allocated to DHCP
    251-254 - Routers and Voice gateway

I have also used method #2 as a quick fix for certain IoT devices. They started off getting their IP addresses dynamically. But later, it became clear to me that it would be more ideal if their IP address stayed the same. So instead of putting a static address and start from scratch, I just made sure the DHCP server issue the same address to these devices every time.

Juice and ronjet like this.
  9. jlconferido

jlconferido Active Member

Hi guys. I know that I should backread to search but I just have absolutely no knowledge on NAS. Can you recommend one for me? My considerations are the following:

1. Budget
    2. Ease of use
    3. Torrent support
    4. Time machine
    5. Media server is good but not a priority

How about the Synology 2 Bay NAS DiskStation DS220j or a Buffalo?

Thanks.

10. zagu

zagu Well-Known Member

up!

looking for a NAS that would mainy store/backup my photos from our iphones and ipads and also maybe 2-3 laptops (mac and windows)

I'm new to this. used to have wd my cloud but was not able to fully use it until it failed on me.... because i never used it for 4 years hahah

11. jologs

jologs Active Member

Two ways to go about it: the DIY NAS route with FreeNAS/TrueNAS or the ready-made (just add disks) route with Synology. The latter of which is the more user-friendly of the two.

12. zagu

zagu Well-Known Member

synology over QNAP?

13. jologs

jologs Active Member

Yes. While QNAPs typically have better hardware specs, Synology's software is better IMO. QNAPs are also more frequently reported to have security vulnerabilities compared to Synology NASes.

14. zagu

zagu Well-Known Member

Thanks much!

15. oj88

XPEnology is another option.... DIY NAS with a Synology Diskstation OS.

If you have the time and resources, it's significantly cheaper to use spare hardware to build a NAS than it is to buy a ready-made one. For one, you're not limited to the number of bays the commercial NAS has. You'll only be limited to the number of SATA ports you have on your motherboard. And if that's not enough, there are PCIe to SATA/SAS HBAs that can be had for cheap.

I have both XPEnology and TrueNAS. I like the former for the friendly interface and I use it to backup my main Windows server. However, if I'm going to rebuild my primary NAS, I would prefer the latter just because it uses ZFS.

ZFS works under the assumption that all hard drives are horrible, lying pieces of s*it that cannot be trusted with your data. ZFS will continually challenge these drives to make sure that the data is consistent down to the last bit.

16. duncan

duncan Well-Known Member

Hello. is there a guide on how to best configure IP address in our network. Our network at home is getting bigger. We have a router connected to the modem. A synology nas, 8 port hub, 4 APs connected to the main router. Multiple devices whether on wifi or wired to the APs. We also have wirelss IP cameras.

TIA.

17. oj88

I don't know how far along you are already in TCP/IP address theory and how technical you are but there are already hundreds of YouTube videos about the topic so maybe start from there.

As much as I would like to walk you through everything, books can be written to answer them. If it's all the same to you, I'd rather address specific questions about what your pain points are and what situations and circumstances have led you to consider going beyond what you have right now.

I'll give you a couple of tips..... First, you'd want devices that you must directly manage to have a static IP address. That means your NAS, network printers, etc. If your devices are cloud-managed, they can live by getting their IP addresses from DHCP.

2nd, consider separating your IoT devices into its own LAN or VLAN from the regular network your PCs, laptops, NAS, etc. are connected to. That will drastically reduce your network's attack surface in case one of those IoTs have been compromised.

duncan likes this.
  18. zagu

zagu Well-Known Member

im curious about the DIY nas... i think i have enough hardware stuff to build this. any site or tips you can give me? thanks!

19. oj88

20. zagu

zagu Well-Known Member

jologs likes this.