Pls recommend good and affordable NAS for home use

Discussion in 'Other hardware discussions' started by Alucard, Jul 3, 2013.

1. lamski

lamski PhilMUG Addict Member

I think WD has a repair/replacement site in the Atrium along Makati ave, right beside Zuellig building. It would help if you registered your WD product and have the registration number if it's still in warranty.
    I

ramil likes this.
  2. ramil

ramil Active Member

^Thank you! Will try to bring it in for assessment and repair in the next few days.

If the repair will cost much, I'd seriously consider replacing the NAS and just transfer the drives to the new one. I am currently leaning towards Synology, specifically the DS218+. If anyone has been using the Synology DS218 series, I'd appreciate your feedback on whether it is appropriate for home use and which specific model you would recommend. Thanks!

3. oj88

oj88 PhilMUG Addict Member

^ Between spending for repair or replacing it with a new one, have you considered repairing it yourself? A fan problem isn't all that too difficult to deal with. Of course, the challenge revolves around the teardown more than anything. But once open, you can replace the fan with an equivalent one that can be sourced off Laz@da or Shopeȩ with ease.

There are a few teardown videos on Youtube that you can explore.

Just a final note: The non-operating fan might just be a symptom of a deeper issue. So it's quite possible that the problem persists even after replacing the fan. But the only way to find out is still to open it up.

ramil likes this.
  4. ramil

ramil Active Member

I've contacted WD support, and they said that they do not do repairs here in Manila. So my only options are 1) to replace the NAS with a new one, and 2) to do the troubleshooting and repair myself (as suggested by @oj88 (y)). I will explore both options in parallel.

Is Synology still the best NAS out there? Are there other good brands and models that I should consider?

5. Juice

Juice PhilMUG Addict Member
    Supporter

Anyone had any problem with PLEX not reading the library? It can show all the movies but not play it.I changed Synology after the DS1515+ died. Transferrd the drives toa DS1819+ and reinstalled DSM 6, and now PLEX can't play the library. I tried permissions, but nothing.Just to be sure the permissions that need to be allowed is PLEX correct?

6. fcdiesta

fcdiesta PhilMUG Addict Member

Files in my QNAP NAS turned up as "Unavailable" once. This was after I deleted an active sync job for those files (they are duplicates of files from a separate Synology NAS -- the QNAP is essentially a remote backup). I restored the Rsync connection and it became available again. Maybe try re-linking the library again on the Plex server, at least on one directory, say the smallest one first. If that works, try it on all the others...

7. oj88

So, you have a clean Plex install on the new NAS that was able to index and retrieve the metadata of the movies but will not play them?

8. Juice

Supporter

Yes, I transferred the data to the new NAS, but opted for a fresh install of DSM6. When I startup PLEX, it can show the library but can't play any video. A message appears something like file doe snot exist. So, I cleared(deleted) the library and redirected PLEX again to where the files were. This time it can't see any library, even though I'm staring at the same folder on the NAS.

9. Juice

Supporter

Tried a similar way, but still none.

10. oj88

11. Juice

Supporter

Yes, already did that. Still the same problem. One thing I noticed though, the videop folder on the NAS has a subfolder where the library is. When I search it on PPLEX, it only shows the video folder and not the sub folder even with permissions on.

12. oj88

Ahh.. then it's time to check out the Plex+DSM6 forums and dig deep in the wisdom they provide. I've outlived my usefulness in this regard. lol

Personally, I've had had a lot of issues with Plex since I've started using it some 7 or 8 years ago but they've always been related to transcoding and bits of quirks here and there.... never as mundane as Plex unable to access the library. It'll be the end of my IT career if that were to happen to me, and in Windows, no less. :D

Juice likes this.
  13. fcdiesta

Did you restart the NAS after doing the suggested Permissions changes in oj88's second link? Reading up on the procedure, it seems like a big hassle for Synology users. Makes me glad I used a QNAP mounted share for my Plex library. Anyway, I hope you can get this to work...

Juice likes this.
  14. bacchus_3

bacchus_3 PhilMUG Addict Member

I wanted to try to remember how I fixed mine back then with a similar issue with PLEX but I’m afraid I didn’t like regularly doing whatever it was I did to fix it that I removed PLEX and installed VLC on devices that wants to watch all videos on my Synology instead.

Simplified everything - sans the ‘album’ artworks and metadata but works more often than PLEX.

sorry wasn’t really a help on this one too.

Juice likes this.
  15. Juice

Supporter

Yeah, I was hoping after the restart it would fix it. I'm still searching. But, honestly, I'm losing hope :LOL:. VLC is looking good again. Looks like I'm going to miss the artwork on movies while browsing.

16. oj88

Beyond the artwork and the pretty facade, I came to Plex for the multi-user profiles and its ability to remember where individual users left off in a movie or TV series.

And needless to say, the major hook it has on me is it does transcoding in realtime to support practically any kind of endpoint from mobile phones, to PCs, to smart TVs, and set-top boxes.

Then again, if it's between a functioning single-celled organism over a dysfunctional bells and whistles, I guess you know what to do. :D

17. Juice

Supporter

Maybe they're working on a fix. I'll send them the problem. But, for now, VLC it is.

18. fcdiesta

Might be time for you to try Emby for Synology then. Or is it still a much inferior Plex substitute?

19. Juice

Supporter

I haven't tried Emby, but I will.

20. pepspeps

pepspeps Active Member

If you have time and a spare computer, maybe you can try to set up a local server/VM/Docker instance with Plex in it?

Or if you have pure iOS/tvOS inventory at home, you can try Infuse (for the artwork and auto-downloading of subtitles). You can even link your Plex library in it.