Pls recommend good and affordable NAS for home use

Discussion in 'Other hardware discussions' started by Alucard, Jul 3, 2013.

1. zChris

zChris Active Member

@King

Good info up there, thanks.

Questions:

1. What is the bottleneck here? The speed on the SSDs? Or the processors? Or the wireless connection of the devices to your LAN?
    2. Were you running your NAS on one ethernet port or two with link aggregation?

In other words, if you were running with link aggregation, would the transfer speeds have been any faster?

2. King

King Active Member

1GbE is the bottleneck of the SSD & 3.5" 10TB Skyhawk. Both drives exceed 125MB/s.

For the 2006 MBP the bottleneck was the 2.5" 80GB 5400RPM HDD as the platter density and RPM are both low making throughput about half of 1GbE. For a 2.5" HDD to saturate 1GbE it needs to be 7200RPM or faster & 1TB or larger.

Notebooks benefit the most from an SSD upgrade as they use fraction of the power thus lengthen battery life and speeds up response time, random reads/writes and maxs out throughput. Be aware Macs that old have a SATA link limited to 1.5Gb/s which saturates 1GbE by 1.5x but cannot hit their potential of 6Gb/s.

Today 10GbE might be seen as excessive but the 2017 iMac Pro is the first Mac with it.

[​IMG]

10GbE equals USB 3.1 and Thunderbolt 1 at 10Gb/s. It exceeds the speed of SATA 6Gb/s, USB 3.0, 1GbE and Firewire 800.

Expect Macs 2018-onwards to have it as well. 2018 Macs may also get USB 3.2 that equals Thunderbolt 2 at 20Gb/s.

So 2018 Macs could have USB 3.2 (~2.5GB/s), Thunderbolt 3 (~5GB/s) & 10GbE (~1.25GB/s)

Expensive today it might be a good idea to buy a switch & NAS with built-in 10GbE or is 10GbE-ready if you want it to be relevant by the year 2038. The first Mac with 1GbE was the 2000 Power Mac G4.

A 50GB file would be transferred in ~8 minutes with 1GbE and ~50 seconds with 10GbE. While a 100GB file would be transferred at double those times. Times are applicable if Ethernet is the bottleneck and not the drive.

With my NAS I used a single port only. No need to go dual port as none of my Macs have more than one 1GbE.

You can increase Ethernet performance further but turning off packet signing for SMB 2 & SMB 3 connections. I hope it would allows for 125MB/s up and down for 1GbE and 1.25GB/s for 10GbE.

#482 King, Jun 7, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 7, 2018
  3. King

King Active Member

QNAP Launches New AMD Quad-core 4/8/12-bay TS-x63XU Rackmount NAS Featuring Single-port 10GbE 10GBASE-T Connectivity
    [​IMG]

https://www.qnap.com/en/news/2018/q...ring-single-port-10gbe-10gbase-t-connectivity

If I had a rack and knew about 10GbE being present in the iMac Pro I would have bought the 4-bay TS-463XU. I would then not have bought the 20TB WD My Book Duo.

It also comes in 12-bay TS-1263XU that @Juice needs.

HDD not your fancy? Want to hit 10GbE speeds? Then give The Synology FlashStation a try.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

#483 King, Jun 7, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 8, 2018