Pls recommend good and affordable NAS for home use

Discussion in 'Other hardware discussions' started by Alucard, Jul 3, 2013.

1. Alucard

Alucard Well-Known Member

Hi Muggers,

I'd like to get recommendations on a good and affordable NAS server primarily for home use. The 3 uses I can think of right now is:

1.) iTunes server
    2.) Time Machine backup
    3.) backup of aperture (vault) - casual photography only, nothing serious and not too big a file.

My house primarily contains apple gadgets. The gadgets I'd like to access the NAS with are:
    1.) 2 x Apple TV (maybe even increase to 3 soon)
    2.) 3 x iphones
    3.) 2 x ipads
    4.) PS3 (rare but would still be nice to be able to access)

I've read Adel's review on Technoodling for the Buffalo CS-X2 and was intrigued by it. However, upon checking it seems that the PHP 8500 price does not include the 2TB HDD. So the price is most likely going to be 12k+ altogether.

Can anyone recommend a system for me that's affordable? Or is the buffalo the best choice I have in terms of affordability?

Can anyone also comment on whether it works great as a reliable itunes server for music and videos? Most of my videos are in mp4 format thus it is compatible with my gadgets, but I'd like to host it in a dedicated NAS server so that I don't need to keep my laptop open.

TIA

2. Eleventh

Eleventh Member

I'm personally using a QNAP brand NAS (TS-210) It can do almost all the things you mentioned plus more. As far as I know NAS usually dont have included HDD's. You can also look for Synology brands. :)

3. Alucard

Thanks for the input. Does it work as an itunes server for videos too? Most of the forums on the net states that nas itunes server works for music only. But my main purpose for this type of device would be for streaming video to ipad and apple tv (non jb).

4. Adel

Adel Moderator
    Staff Member

I just did a review on Technoodling for a nice, affordable NAS perfect for home use. Here.

5. cybersniper

cybersniper Well-Known Member

Try checking LianLi NAS enclosures... I think they have one that can house up to 5 HDDs.

Check TipidPC sellers. They should have this.

6. Netskipper

Netskipper Well-Known Member

I checked Adel's review and it seems 8,500 includes the 2Tb HDD. I was looking for a NAS as well but more for a small office & I think the lowest priced I found locally is the Buffalo range. Synology, Drobo & other brands are simply more expensive. I haven't checked the China brands though. I looked at the Buffalo link station duo and that was the one without HDD. It's p4,500 for the 2 bay version.

7. Dekra

Dekra PhilMUG Addict Member

8. Adel

Adel Moderator
    Staff Member

If you look in TPC you can find the Buffalo CloudStation for even lower prices. The 1TB goes for around P4500, and the 2TB goes for around P5,500.

I bought mine from mugger mitchtb, who was selling a 2TB model in the Marketplace for P5500, and I bargained him down to P5000. Really inexpensive.

9. gaol

gaol PhilMUG Addict Member

You can also check out Western Digital's consumer line of network drives, or "personal cloud storage" as they call it now: MyBook Live.

MyBookLive has capacities from 1TB-3TB and the dual-drive version MyBookLive Duo from 4TB-8TB. Aside from the larger capacity, you have the option to configure the Duo for RAID. I have the 2TB version of the Live.

For basic/simple NAS use they might be what you need for iTunes and Time Machine backups. Price range is around P5K-P9K for the 1T-3T MyBook Lives and the P15K-P27K for the 4TB-8TB Live Duos.

10. Netskipper

Netskipper Well-Known Member

Western Digital does seem to have some good NAS in their line up but I've had a bad experience with their after sales service so I would not recommend them to anyone.

11. gaol

gaol PhilMUG Addict Member

I used to recommend Seagate more than Western Digital to friends. My experience with Seagate RMA replacements a long while ago back led me to try WD eventually.

Now I have more WD drives than Seagate. I've also had the relatively painless experience of having a drive or two RMAd: the last one was a 1TB MyBook Studio which was replaced with a 2TB MyBook Studio (no 1TB available) by the local service center in Pasong Tamo taking care of WD RMAs (same outfit I think that also services some Samsung products).

So I guess as they say, your mileage may vary.

#11 gaol, Jul 4, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 4, 2013
  12. Yagbolz

Yagbolz Well-Known Member

Can anyone enlighten me about NAS.. Just a simple explanation would do.. TIA

13. Alucard

@Adel
    I've read your review and it renewed my interest in NAS for my home. I used to think that I would require to spend upwards of 15k. I wasn't willing to spend that much. Its weird that when we called Complink, they said that it didn't include the 2TB HDD. I'll have to check again.

How does it work as an itunes server? I'd like to host music and video files on it to be played on Apple TV, ipads and iPhones around the house.

EDIT: A few more questions:
    1.) Can I play photos hosted on the NAS to Apple TV?
    2.) According to Complink website, its 4490 SRP. So I guess that means, including the 2 HDD, that is 8500? http://www.complink.com.ph/buffalo-cloudstation-p-6024.html

14. LeoCastillo

LeoCastillo Maestro
    Staff Member

I've been using an Airport Extreme connected with hard drives making it into a NAS and here's what I've found so far:

- All the computers in the house can wirelessly access the drives. I actually 3 1TB drives connected to the Airport Extreme using a USB HUB. I can use any hard drive for this one since it's all external.
    - I use it as a NAS for my AppleTV (which has ATVFlash). The AppleTV can stream the videos wirelessly from the Airport Extreme drives, even MKV files (an AppleTV with ATVFlash can do many wonderful things).
    - Time Machine is too slow. For this reason I decided to stop doing that and do a wired TM Backup. It's almost 100x faster. But then again my MBP has 1.3TB of data. If I had an MBA with like 128GB that should be tolerable.
    - Because Airport Extreme has a WAN capability, I find I can access my files on it from any internet connection, thus creating my own cloud. Having said that, the speed is not the fastest because of our poor internet connections in this country. DropBox fulfills the same role anyway.

So as an idea, instead of a dedicated NAS try an Airport Extreme. On the above list of benefits, 1 and 2 is really useful, 3 and 4 sounds good but doesn't work well in theory.

Also, it might sound more expensive but remember an Airport Extreme is also a router (a high speed one) and can also make your PRINTER wireless too. You can put as many hard drives on it as long as you use a powered hub (which is what I'm doing).

If you have that, pair with an AppleTV for best results. That way you can have no problems streaming audio, video, and photos to your AV equipment.

Leo

15. Adel

Adel Moderator
    Staff Member

I haven't really tried it, but it should be simple. Just mount the Cloudstation on your Mac's desktop using NAS Navigator, then copy you iTunes folder to it. Then you redirect iTunes to use that as its library.

Same thing with photos. Copy your iPhoto folder to the Cloudstation, then redirect iPhoto to use that instead. At least I think that's how it should work.

Your should be able to use them with your Apple TV, iPad or iPhone, as long as they're using the same network.

I don't know about Complink's pricing, but Cloudstations always come with a drive, whether it be 1TB or 2TB. Maybe they are referring to the Cloudstation Duo or the Duo Pro, which doesn't come with any drives yet. Those models are a bit more expensive, and a bit more complicated to use.

16. Chito Limson

Chito Limson Unfrozen…
    Staff Member

;););) Thanks Leo. I just looked now at the back of my AEBS: Didn't realise it had a USB port there, hoho! What was I thinking?

Should I click on "Share disks over WAN"?

17. LeoCastillo

LeoCastillo Maestro
    Staff Member

Yup, if you Share Disks over WAN that should make it your own cloud. ;-)

Plug in a USB HUB so you can have your printers and hard drives connected. As I mentioned in an earlier post, you can make one of those drives a Time Machine backup (google how) but in my experience a directly wired one is better.

If you also have Back to My Mac enabled, you should be able to access your home iMac remotely (if you have one).

But going back on topic, I would recommend this option. The only advantage I can see for a dedicated NAS is that it's all in one package. Which is both good and bad.

Leo

18. Alucard

Very interesting! I do have a few external HDD lying around that I can use for this purpose!

But while it can store the files and act as a NAS, it can't act as an itunes server, right? I mean, I'd need to have my laptop on and running itunes in order to use home sharing function and "broadcast" the music and movies that are stored in the AEBS NAS.

Just wanted to add that I have 2 Apple TV, a 2nd gen (JB) and 3rd gen. So while I have XBMC on one of them, unfortunately I don't have that option in the 3rd gen. Thus I'd have to rely on itunes home sharing for it to work.

19. Eleventh

Eleventh Member

It does work as an iTunes server but for Audio only. But it has a built in Twonky Media server(UPNP) that can handle video streaming to devices. Natively iOS cant support UPNP media devices, but I use an app on the Appstore called GPlayer on my Ipad and Iphone and if Iwant to stream it on my 3rd Gen AppleTV then I just airplay it. ;)

The Advantage of having a real NAS over other suggestions here (in my case the QNAP) is it has other services available like
    * Web Server (Apache,MySQL, PHP and Perl)
    * Mail Server
    * FTP server
    * Media Server
    * Surveilance camera support
    *Low power (14w)
    * Torrent/Download service, You can queue your downloads without having my iMac on.

It has a lot more to offer and expandable via apps you can install on the NAS.

20. LeoCastillo

LeoCastillo Maestro
    Staff Member

Yes, with this setup, you do not need your laptop and iTunes on!

Just plug in your hard drive to the USB and make sure you have ATVFlash and that's it. The AppleTV will access the router hard drives and you get a file browser which can play practically any file you throw at it (yes MKVs too.. and audio of course).

No iTunes, no computer, heck no other iOS device even needed! Kinda like a Roku except your hard drives are connected to the router. I have been using this setup for close to 2 years now and it works wonders for us.

I have not used the other services Eleventh has, but are you going up to that level? If all you need is to access your files away from home, you can do it as long as you share disks to WAN.

Also, there are other options available to take advantage of those services (instead of your own FTP/Mail server, just use Dropbox and Gmail, etc). Surveillance Camera you just need a router, no NAS needed. Torrents is another story, but again there are other options if you search long enough.

Leo

P.S. if you want to check out my setup, send me a PM. I live in Ortigas.