PLEX & Mac Mini

Discussion in 'Mac Mini' started by Ramon, Mar 23, 2010.

1. Ramon

Ramon Member

Just wondering if anyone has this set up? (mac mini with PLEX)

I currently have the WDTV set up and have a friend who moved to the mini plex set up. Was wondering if there was a cheaper alternative to purchasing a mac mini?

thanks

2. chairman

chairman Moderator
    Staff Member

moved this thread to the proper forum. next time please post it in the right forum.

that being said, I have a friend that has this setup. I've been wanting to buy a mac mini for this purpose as well but the cost is a bit prohibitive. A good alternative is getting a used one. There should be some good deals here from time to time.

I also have WDTV, for now that will have to do.

3. Chito Limson

Chito Limson Unfrozen…
    Staff Member

I have this set-up. Never been happier since I found a front end that's way better than Apple's FrontRow. There are some tweaks also if you want to output true Dolby Digital or DTS 5.1 from your Mac Mini using JackOSX and AC3Jack.

4. Ramon

Ramon Member

Yes, my cousin has that setup and i am loving the interface. Its really sick! makes my WDTV look a bit dated.

Oh well, I guess I better start saving!

Have you encountered any problems yet with the miniplex setup?

My bad, wasn't sure where this thread was suppose to go.

Can you use any mac mini? or does it have to be the intel one? I actually have a iMac, can that be used you think?

5. Psynic

Psynic Member

Either a Mini or iMac should be fine. I've used both.

You'll want to stick with an Intel model (preferably Core2Duo at least), so that you can decode 720p and 1080p files properly.

6. Eric

Eric Member

I'm using xbmc on my mini. Never been happier. I prefer xmbc's simpler interface over PLEX's though. PLEX is based on xmbc fyi.

7. SE20

SE20 PhilMUG Addict Member
    Supporter

Would a 1.83 Ghz Mac Mini C2D be powerful enough to play 720P or even 1080p files? I read somewhere that 2.5 Ghz (for a PC) is the minimum, not sure if the information is correct or if the same speed specs apply to a Mac.

8. Psynic

Psynic Member

My 1.83 C2D was enough for 720p when I owned one. I never had a chance to try 1080p files on it.

1080p works fine on my 2.0.

9. SE20

SE20 PhilMUG Addict Member
    Supporter

^Thanks Psynic. Which software did you use for 720p files?

10. Psynic

Psynic Member

I used Plex :)

11. Ramon

Ramon Member

Been playing around with Plex. I downloaded it on my iMac, and I just ordered all the cables, should be up and running soon.

cant wait, interface is so nice

12. judoka03g

judoka03g Member

Using plex on a macmini with dual displays. Does anyone know how to make plex startup in the secondary display?