PLDT DSL

Discussion in 'OS X Server / Xserve / Networking' started by Chip, Feb 15, 2016.

1. Chip

Chip PhilMUG Addict Member

Okay, I tried searching for the old thread (and I do remember having seen one, but it was not AS active as the Fibr thread so I tried hijacking it twice, and got called out by another member during my first post :p) So if I just didn't look that extensively to see the thread, I apologize and would the mods just kindly merge this one with the old thread :)))

-edit- Ah, found some threads in General OT. Should this be merged there or will this thread in this sub-forum suffice? :) -end edit-

Anyways, my problem as lifted off the other thread:

Quick question. I think my internet connection is going bonkers whenever I start uploading a video file to YouTube. I've been uploading several videos since December to YouTube (oh and the videos are captures/recording of my gameplay on my PS4), and with my settings some are as big as 3GB, and it was only late January or early February that I noticed that I can't load any websites, nor even do a speedtest when I start an upload. The moment I cancel the upload, my connection goes back to normal.

I initially thought it was a problem with PLDT, hence they changed my modem. Then the problem persisted, so I changed my router. But the problem is still there and it was only recently that I thought about my upload.

Anyways, I resampled and compressed the videos and lowered it down to 1GB. But again, when I start uploading, my connection dies down (though the upload continues).

Someone mentioned that I probably maxed out my upload speed, which in turn affects my download speed, and said that its due to tcp/ip overhead. Err... What now? :eek: Anyone where who can explain? lol. He did suggest that I try to limit/force my upload speed to a certain kbps which I've yet to try via setting up QOS in my router (tama naman na dun i-set right?) :eek:

Anyone who can clarify matters? lol

2. JohannChua

JohannChua Active Member

I believe residential DSL is asymmetrical. There will ALWAYS be more download bandwidth than there is for uploads.

3. Chip

Yep, even if they have already upgraded my DSL Plan's speed from 5mbps to 8mbps, I'm still stuck with an upload speed of less than 1mbps.

Now, my problem is, how can I upload these videos lol. If its true that I've maxed out my upload speed, would enabling QOS be the key to limit my upload speed :eek: I'm all okay for my upload speed for YouTube to be slow, as long as I am able to upload these videos :))))

If indeed upload speed is the culprit that is.

4. ron27

ron27 Member

Hi Chip! I think I may know what could be causing your problem.

The Internet is designed to send information back and forth from servers to clients in small "packets" of information. When you type a web address on your browser like www.philmug.ph, your computer sends a 'request' packet (uploads) to the philmug server which leads to the philmug server sending you back (downloads) multiple packets that eventually make up the web pages that you see. Since servers have no way of knowing if you received the information it sent, your computer has to 'acknowledge' receipt of packets by sending an 'ack' packet back to the server. This back and forth between your computer and the server happens until the entire web page is sent successfully.

Every time a packet leaves your computer and out into the Internet it uses upload bandwidth. Every time it receives packets from the Internet it uses your download bandwidth. Usually, request and ack packets are very small in size only so even if your ISP gives you 1mbps upload bandwidth, you won't notice the small bandwidth.

However, when you use up all your upload bandwidth by uploading a large file to youtube, then you will notice a slow down on your Internet experience because those Request packets don't get sent out to the Internet. If the websites you are trying to visit don't receive your Request packets, they can't start to send you the webpages you want to see because the servers don't even know that you made a request.

A well configured router that uses QoS can help you with this. QoS allows you to select/prioritize which packets are allowed to pass through your router into the Internet.

Sorry for the long explanation, I hope this helps clarify your problem!

gracegal and Chip like this.
  5. Chip

Thanks for the explanation :) I've initially set up QOS last night and just included Youtube in it. I'll try to send a screenshot later of the settings. Initially, it did work, and I was able to start uploading the compressed video, but when it reached around 29%, my connection died out once more. I cancelled the upload and again, my connection is okay.

Am trying to upload again now, and YouTube was able to resume my upload. Connection died for a while but I can do speedtests, with quite a few 'request timed out' errors, before being able to load and restart the speedtest.

6. bacchus_3

bacchus_3 PhilMUG Addict Member

@Chip, it has to do with the router you have that manages QoS. It does affect your web browsing and other stuff. From my limited experience with routers (belkins, dlink, tplink, linksys and apple) I've been happy with how AEBS handles it. There's a limit though (maxxed out torrent streams for example :) ) and I think that's where you need to have throttle control of your uploads. QoS alone can't handle it.

Chip likes this.
  7. Chip

Won't QOS be the one to handle the throttling of my upstream for a specific use? Or there would be another option for it? :eek:

Also, I've been uploading videos of the same size since December and it was only just recently that I experienced this problem. On my old router, I did not have QOS set up but I did not experience this slowdown due to uploading, up until recently and even after I switched routers, and modem :eek:.

#7 Chip, Feb 16, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2016
  8. bacchus_3

bacchus_3 PhilMUG Addict Member

Throttle is another router control. QoS have limit when your packets are all uploads :) Then again industrial routers may be better at QoS than home routers.

Chip likes this.
  9. bowman60

bowman60 Active Member

QOS config screen for any brand of router usually asks you to put in max upload/download speeds based on your bandwidth. Set upload to around 70% of your max upload bandwidth. It's not enough to just enable QOS for most routers. You need to set these speeds. Earlier posts were correct, you've been maxing out your upload which renders everything else unusable.

Chip likes this.
  10. Chip

So aside from QOS I need to find my router's setting/control for throttling speed? Considering I am on PLDT DSL and the usual upspeed I get is at .800kbps, I was advised to set QOS upload speed to 128kbps. Which I did last night.

As I left for work, I left my computer open to continue with the upload, since we won't be using the internet anyways so its okay to go bonkers while its uploading. Around 10AM I received a notification from YouTube that my upload had already finished and I was able to check the video.

Now to test it again tonight since I still have quite a few backlogs for upload lol. I'll look over my router's manual/ask google if it has an option to throttle speed \o/

But, back to QOS settings, would it be okay that I enabled QOS only for YouTube? I did not put anything else in the options (or disabled rather) all the other defaults for QOS like HTTPS, FTP, Google Voice and etc... since its only YouTube that I want to 'control'? :)

Thanks a lot for the help guys :) I usually just go plug and play with routers except for the regular port forwarding, and its only now that I've tried to tinker with QOS, since my earlier router had no manual and editable settings for QOS unlike my new one :)

-edit-

Ah drat, I misread the instructions for QOS setup, I entered my desired max upload speed, not my real max upload speed. I just need to set YouTube to least priority or the lowest percentage for usage for QOS to work.

Apparently Traffic Control is the old term for QOS. So, thanks Google. Will still search for another option to control bw :)

#10 Chip, Feb 16, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2016
  11. jetan

jetan PhilMUG Addict Member

12. ignite

ignite Active Member

I saw that the speed for my plan has been updated to 5mbps. However, I'm still getting 3mbps. Tried calling the hotline but they said that my speed has no problem as I am getting 60% of 5mbps. The technician that was assigned to be was a burden to talk to. He seemed like a robot with canned answers.

13. potpot2

potpot2 Well-Known Member

I received this sms from PLDT

Thank you for your continued patronage! We increased your base DSL speed and gave you an additional 1 mbps speed boost on your Telpad plan. You can now enjoy speeds of up to 6 mbps so you can stream, surf, and play more!

14. bhoyetjumpay

bhoyetjumpay Well-Known Member

also got that message, most of the time i got 4.90 mbps :sneaky:

potpot2 likes this.
  15. DON2003

DON2003 Well-Known Member

am on PLDT DSL Plan 999 + landline, currently 5mbps.
    got a call yesterday and was told our area will be having Fibr next month, offering their starting plan at 2xxx, hehe.

can I migrate to Fibr 999 + landline? or whats the cheapest plan on Fibr? actually I don't need a landline anymore as all in the family has their own private mobile number,

is it a good idea to migrate to Fibr? or to stay DSL? will the Fibr has NO-CAP as dsl?

where and how can I apply for migration so I will be first in line to got the available Fibr line connection before it runs out?

16. courtside3

courtside3 PhilMUG Addict Member

The cheapest Fibr Plan (with an 80GB data cap) costs P1,899 per month. The cheapest FIBR unlimited data plan costs P2,899 per month. Both offer speeds of up to 50 Mbps.

On paper, migrating to Fibr from a MyDSL subscription is a no-brainer. It boasts of new technology at much cheaper rates. As the Fibr thread on PhilMUG shows, however, results are mixed at best.

IIRC, you can apply online or via a PLDT business center.

17. DON2003

DON2003 Well-Known Member

thanks, isn't the cheapest Fibr is 999 +landline at 10mbps?

18. snipes

snipes Active Member

Anyone still using DSL? If yes, why?

19. eag

eag Well-Known Member

We have converge fiber, but I might keep the pldt dsl as a backup for the fiber.

20. snipes

snipes Active Member

What’s your plan and Mbps of your DSL?