PlayStation 4 Thread

Discussion in 'Third party hardware, software and accessories' started by barre05, Jun 11, 2013.

1. kinse_44

kinse_44 PhilMUG Addict Member

Sad news.. Sony has delayed The Last of Us Part II indefinitely

I'm guessing a winter release date after this pandemic is over. But the PS5 arrives also in the holidays so I don't know. There are high expectations for this game, the PS5's arrival might hurt the sales of this game.

2. shifty_md

shifty_md Active Member

Anyone here who ordered a digital copy of Resident Evil 3 Remake? How did you find the game?

3. barre05

barre05 Well-Known Member

I've been telling my gaming group of friends that TLOU: Part 2 will most likely be a PS5 launch game. They need a strong AAA title to kickstart the next gen wars, moreso with them being unable to claim bragging rights in terms of console power.

Now, with this COVID 19 pandemic, this plan of Sony and Naughty Dog just became easier to carry out. First, supply chains are disrupted, so they need to make sure to put out the best product package when they release this winter (or early 2021). Next, thry might be considering the sensitive nature of the post-apocalyptic nature of TLOU and the Infected. Lastly, with the global economy in shambles and most likely in a recession, (the thing with recessions is that you can only tell you were in one after the fact) people might be more frugal woth spending, hence there might be a lower turnout for game buyers.

But hey, i'm still sticking with the theory and my call of TLOU: Part 2 being a PS5 launch game, just because Sony needs a triple A exclusive.

4. kinse_44

My take on this is no, TLOU Part II will not be a PS5 launch game. It should remain as a PS4 game..for now.

Sony won't risk an estimate of over a hundred million PS4 console owners be furious with them for false advertising. The game was announced around 2016, then it was given a release date for 2019, then pushed to early 2020, and now indefinitely delayed because of the pandemic, but it still was expected to be released on the PS4. PS4 owners will be livid and feel betrayed if Sony decides to scrap the PS4 release, or keep it on the PS4 but include this game as a PS5 launch title. It's been years since TLOU Part II announcement, so the PS4 community has definitely invested in this game. There are some fans of TLOU who bought a PS4 just to play this game. So for Sony to surprise us that this game will be released as a PS5 title, and forcing TLOU fans to buy the PS5 to have a better experience playing the game, I think that will be a disaster. There are 108.9 million PS4 consoles sold, so why would Sony and Naughty Dog not keep the game as a PS4 title? It's definitely the perfect time for the sequel to be played on the PS4.

Sony still plans to launch the PS5 this holiday season, and there isn't much content available about the PS5 aside from the controller. News about PS5 games available at launch date are also scarce and nothing official at the moment. Anyway, I think Sony doesn't need a triple A exclusive to sell their next gen console. They didn't need one when they launched the PS4. Sony relied more on third party games from other developers for their launch line up. I didn't buy a PS4 looking forward to play their PS4 exclusive Knack, I bought a PS4 to play NBA 2K14. I think it'll be the same strategy for the PS5 when it launches. Having a lot of games available is the thing that matters when it comes to launching the next gen console, aside from the other important stuff like pricing and the console's ROI. Besides due to the pandemic, Forbes reported that Sony sees a limited supply of PS5 when it launches, and I guess the same applies to Microsoft's XBOX Series X. So both companies know that this is a marathon, not a sprint.

I still think we'll see TLOU Part II on the PS5. Maybe a remastered version with all the DLCs after 18 months, like the TLOU Part I on the PS4. And Sony did mentioned that the PS5 will get backwards compatibility, and there was a leaked pic seeing the game on the main menu of a PS5 dev kit so it's possible that TLOU Part II PS4 version can be played on the PS5. Fingers crossed TLOU Part II will work on the PS5.

5. barre05

^They need a AAA launch game to counter Xbox Series X. Even if they will alienate PS4 owners, fans will still buy it (and the PS5 as well). So everybody happy. You get a great game you were going to buy anyway, on a system you were going to buy anyway, as well.

Once they get enough sales (PS5 and game sales) out of it, maybe in 3 months, Naughty Dog and Sony will make it available for PS4 owners who have yet to upgrade to PS5.

Seems like a more sound business plan to me. Will it be a popular move? Maybe not. But it will help them get a leg up on Microsoft.

6. Aargh

Aargh PhilMUG Addict Member

Remember the first The Last of Us was released less than 6 months from the launch of the PS4 and the PS4 did more than fine. And most likely the development of the game on the PS4 is almost complete and they already spent millions of dollars making the game for the PS4. It makes more business sense to release it on a platform that already has more than 100M user base and than release it on a new console and pretty much upset your fanbase.

7. barre05

Well, let's see what they do with it. Personally, I feel that they will use the game to sell more PS5s at launch.

Or maybe both theories are right: Sony will do a simultaneous release, making it available for the PS5 and PS4, similar to how Nintendo made Breath of the Wild available to both WiiU and Switch users in March 2017.

They can always say that TLOU Part II has "enhanced" graphics and gameplay with the PS5 version. Or maybe some additional bonus content, short of calling it a Remastered edition.

8. Aargh

Well if they do only release the last of us 2 on the ps5 then I wont be playing it until after the release of a ps5 slim. I will no longer buy a console on launch day. Hahahahah

9. barre05

10. kinse_44

I hope that's the final date. People will lose their minds if the release date gets pushed again. Naughty Dog also addressed the game's leaked spoilers and urged fans to avoid them.

In other PS gaming news, the WWE have confirmed that there won't be a WWE 2K21 this year.

11. msgt16

msgt16 Member

Anyone here purchased Warlords of NY expansion of The Division 2? Just finished the base game a while ago. Still thinking if it's sulit to buy the expansion. PHP1500 din kasi. Thanks!

12. kinse_44

13. kinse_44

14. textguru

textguru Active Member

Playstation 4 consoles are mostly sold-out... maybe parents bought it to make their kids stay at home

15. kinse_44

Anybody else finished playing The Last of Us Part II? What are your thoughts?

Okay first things first, I'm on the side of those calling this game as a masterpiece. Hands down this game is a masterpiece. The gameplay, the graphics, the music, and yes even the story is a 10/10 for me. The attention to detail is very impressive and let's not forget that this is a video game we're talking about. Naughty Dog was dead serious when they said that this was their most ambitious project ever. Though with their intention of being ambitious, they sure caused quite a stir in the TLOU fandom by killing the beloved character Joel to set up Ellie's revenge story. I'd be lying if I said I wasn't affected by it. Honestly, yeah I wanted Joel & Ellie together again in a brand new adventure. Give me 20 hours of that. But then again this is TLOU this isn't Uncharted. This game and the story is supposed to be a tragedy.

I get the criticisms of others saying that the storytelling was where Naughty Dog stumbled, and yes I agree. Forcing us players to play as the one who killed Joel to understand her story for 10 hours just to get back to Ellie's side of the story was hell. It was too long and exhausting, and since we're still affected by Joel's death it's still hard to feel any empathy for the character. That's why in the first Ellie vs Abby boss fight there's a sense of satisfaction seeing Ellie blast Abby's face off every time you lose against Ellie. The only takeaway from playing as Abby was that it was fun to play as her. She had better weapons, better fatality finishers, and better boss fights.

Even though the storytelling was off for me, I still liked the story. I'm fine with the ending of Ellie not getting her revenge on Abby, and I think that's the better outcome instead of her killing Abby. Sparing Abby was like to that final conversation between Joel and Ellie where Ellie would like to try to forgive Joel. In the end we see that Ellie was getting back to her sense of being human and having a heart. Would there be a TLOU Part III? For me, I hope they do end the series with Part II but somehow I think they will still make another one in the far future since Part II sold very, very well. However I think it's gonna be hard if they bring back Ellie without Joel. Not everybody will be on board as well if Naughty Dog decides to have a new game that revolves Abby only so I don't know. I hope they end it with Part II.

16. shifty_md

shifty_md Active Member

Kinse,

I am on the same side as you. I find the game a masterpiece as well. The decision by those who gave the game a bad review before finishing it was premature and they got too attached to Joel's character at part I. And heck, what post apocalyptic game or even movie for that matter lets everyone live until the end? Someone dies all the time, sooner or later. The game made us realize the difference between Ellie and Abby in the sense that Abby was the first one to let go, hence sparing Ellie in the theater. Ellie's path for revenge made a turn for the worse at the final encounter at the beach when she challenged Abby which made her lose everything in the process, including two of her fingers and subsequently her ability to play the guitar which was her last remaining way of connecting with Joel. But had Ellie not decided to go after her, both Abby and Lev would have died on the beach. Killing Abby would also set Lev on a path to avenge her death. And the cycle goes on and on. The story was intricately and beautifully written and I laud everyone at Naughty Dog for pulling off a great sequel worthy of all the expectation and the seven year wait. I won't keep my fingers crossed for a part III but Ellie's quest to find Dina and Abby's encounter with the Fireflies, not to mention there are possibly other Rattler factions left, are major questions left to be answered. This is easily GOTY for me, and I am a big, close-minded hard-core FF7 fan at that.

17. Aargh

The story of The Last of Us 2 was not suppose to make you feel good. If you got upset, sad, frustrated and/or angry, then it accomplished it’s objective. And how many games are there that you can say affected your emotions as much as TLOU2 did?

shifty_md likes this.
  18. chris2x

chris2x Active Member

am approaching the end game and also thinking if i should get this as well...

19. kinse_44

It just wasn't right for other people being embarrassingly petty, and hating the game just because it wasn't the game that they wanted to the point of harassing and threatening anybody involved with the game and fellow gamers who defend the game. Just disgusting behavior.

shifty_md likes this.
  20. Aargh

And some are just plain homophobic! They hated Ellie being lesbian and the inclusion of a transgender character.