Playing 4K HDR Files on 13" rMBP 2014

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ment, Jul 13, 2019.

1. ment

ment Member

Dear All,

I have some 4K HDR media file I want to play using my 2014 rMBP 13" .

However when I use the most updated VLC Player, nag sta stutter siya and it usually shows a predominantly white picture.

My P30 Pro phone can play the same file using VLC just fine.

Are there steps am.missing? Like do.I need to install some codecs or something else? I am trying to play the movie to.my 4k UHD TV and it's connected with a proper HDMI 2 Cable. (My Macbook pro's limit is 4K @ 30hz)

Appreciate your guidance everyone. The youtube downloaded 4K videos play just fine with my laptop so am puzzled what is wrong.

2. snipes

snipes Active Member

I have a 2012 Core i7 iMac

It cannot handle 4K files

But my 2016 OLED TV can handle it with no problem.

The problem isn't the player, settings or cables.

The problem is our Macs are old and being tasked to do out of spec things.

Youtube 4K videos are low bitrate and aren't HDR. 4K HDR is high bitrate and are HDR.

Because of this problem I am buying the 2019 Macbook Pro + eGPU and a Dell UltraSharp 38 Curved Monitor: U3818DW

ment likes this.
  3. Shinahashirome

Shinahashirome Active Member

Try the iina app: IINA - The modern media player for macOShttps://iina.io/

ment likes this.