Plans for Christmas 2020

Discussion in 'General OT' started by Mykolant, Dec 4, 2020.

1. Mykolant

Mykolant PhilMUG Addict Member

Between Down Under and the Great White North
    It's been a tough year all over the world.

And nobody thought this whole bit will last until Christmas, yet here we are.

How have your plans changed for this coming yuletide season? How is your household going to be like on Christmas Eve without the gathering, the hugging, and hanging out?

Let me start:

This will be the second Christmas we'll be spending without our kids, who are a thousand miles away in another continent! This will be the first Christmas where it'll be just me and the wife spending it just by ourselves, no by choice, but because of COVID.

Even if we wanted to meet up with our new friends in this part of the world at this time of year, all of us understand that to keep this virus at bay, we all need to keep our physical distance.

Of course, current technology makes all this a bit more bearable. Everyone we know is just a Viber message, Facetime call, an FB video call, or a Zoom meet away.

So we haven't made real plans for Christmas Eve and Christmas Day. A white Christmas might not even happen. We are just thankful we are together, we are healthy, and we have a place to call home.

We look forward to a better year in 2021.

Cheers!

2. ice

ice PhilMUG Addict Member

Was hoping to spend Christmas and New Year in Manila this year, but our tickets are already cancelled by the airline.

As my request for Manila assignment as been approved, we'll be inviting friends over on Christmas day.

New Year - still discussing with my wife on which restaurant/buffet should we go to.

Mykolant likes this.
  3. SE20

SE20 PhilMUG Addict Member

We were planning an extended-family gathering on the beach, complete with swab testing beforehand, but decided to heed the advice of many doctors and will just do virtual.

Among close friends, we are threatening to meet in a friend's house that has a big space outdoors, complete with social distancing, air purifiers, masks except while eating/drinking, no exchange of gifts, no singing... some of us are starting to wonder if it's worth the bother...

On the work side, I'll be attending many more Christmas parties than I usually do, as they're all virtual.

jayparalejas, Mykolant and raypin like this.
  4. pandecoco

pandecoco Member

no to any activity involving other people, and other households. not even xmas shopping in the malls. so, only my household of two.

raypin and Mykolant like this.
  5. Hero33

Hero33 PhilMUG Addict Member

Have a two house bubble (about 2km apart). Jump back and forth that’s it.

Mykolant likes this.
  6. Silentwill

Silentwill Active Member

Only change I guess is I'll be wfh instead of at the office.

Mykolant likes this.
  7. ailes

ailes Active Member

I still wonder what Christmas this year would be..

Just be pretty occupied surviving this year and the next..

Mykolant likes this.
  8. mree

mree Well-Known Member

I know that a lot are eager to go out, I even have friends who already went to the beach, but COVID19 is still very much a concern. As for me, I am not willing to risk my, and my family’s, health.

I already prepared our Christmas menu, started decorating the house, and planned out the games we’ll do at home. Same goes for the New Years.

9. jayparalejas

jayparalejas Well-Known Member

I cancelled all christmas and new year plans for gatherings for my immediate family. however some other family members, e.g. cousins snd their parents are pushing through with the beach/pool party. Good luck to them haha.

I am perplexed as to how so many people brush off the danger of covid. being in the same room while eating in less than 20 mins you will definitely have it, if someone is positive.

Always remember, Assume everyone is covid positive, don't let your guard down even for a brief moment for a selfie.

10. pctan1584

pctan1584 Well-Known Member

Christmas this year will be simple, staying at home. No out of town or overseas trip planned. Our eldest daughter is also away for the first time.

11. ice

ice PhilMUG Addict Member

I'm honestly amazed that people in Manila are still partying!

I'm starting to see Christmas gatherings in FB!

12. SE20

SE20 PhilMUG Addict Member

I passed by a restaurant in BGC and it looked like I traveled back in time to 2019, so crowded was the place. It wasn't even a Christmas party, yet.

13. Nisroc88

Nisroc88 Active Member

I want to see my Mom who’s just a 20min drive away and maybe even makapag-mano yun mga bata. Eat n run at the most. I wouldn’t mind if they’ll just package the food and gifts in a recycle bag and we’ll be on our way off within an hour. It’s not me nor my kids or my wife that I’m worried about but rather my Mom who’s survived a couple of strokes already. There’s also my Mother-in-law we need to see. I’m not afraid of what they would bring but rather what we might unknowingly bring to her. More that just dealing with the physical, we have to deal with the mental aspect of Christmas and Covid and try to find that balance.

Yeah, I’m still gonna do some Christmas shopping but if the parking is either pila na or pahirapan na paghanap ng slot then that’s an indicator na lipat na lang sa ibang mall kasi nakakatakot na sa loob sa dami ng tao. Otherwise, puro shoppee at lazada na lang and hope na dumating yun mga order bago mag Pasko.

14. raypin

raypin PhilMUG Addict Member

mm...throwing caution in the wind. Within households, no problem. Multiple household gatherings, problem. But, at the end of the day, it is up to the head of the household to decide. US CDC is discouraging gatherings indoors for multiple families. 15 minute exposure is all it takes.

jayparalejas likes this.
  15. jayparalejas

jayparalejas Well-Known Member

Exactly, gathering multiple families even outdoors is like throwing away all the sacrifices made for the past months.

Mykolant and raypin like this.
  16. Mykolant

Mykolant PhilMUG Addict Member

Between Down Under and the Great White North
    So, checking back with everyone, how did your Christmas and NYE celebrations pan out?

17. Silentwill

Silentwill Active Member

Was supposwd to work on Christmas eve but was sick so I just slept it through. NYE, back to work (at home) so I just peeked a few minutes at exactly 12 am to see some fireworks (there weren't that many), the focused back at my work.

18. bugs

bugs PhilMUG Addict Member

Cousins & their families came over for Christmas eve. Since one of my cousins owns a testing center, we all had a swab test the day before, & we were all negative.

19. catalysmic

catalysmic Well-Known Member

A Chrismas Eve Mass.. our very first ON Church Mass since March...

Its inside our Village with Social Distancing / No Communion for US..

Enjoyed the cooler weather in Pque while walking back home..

and NO Relatives coming over for Annual Dec 25 Party too..

20. p.pipster

p.pipster PhilMUG Addict Member

Had plans to go to a cottage in Quebec for the new year's weekend. Location cancelled on us in October so we'll do it in the summer. Hopefully.

Booked another cottage but then the province was going to shut down for the holidays so that was cancelled, too.

So just us, family of 5 (coincidentally also the household limit), in our small apartment for Christmas and New Year. It's not the best but it's actually not too bad.

As I write, we are preparing to drive to Niagara to see the falls' evening lights.